Warrior by Mirasaui

Anor had reached its zenith and even in the deep woods it was bright and cheery, but the day did not match the mood of the guardians as they searched for the missing elfling. Elrohir and Elladan were well liked by the sentries of Imladris, for the twins were always hanging about the barracks. They would listen to the warrior's tales, watch them fletch arrows and sharpen swords or join them in the old battle chants and songs that were always being started by one elf or another. Although they had to watch their language, most of the guardians enjoyed the elflings' visits, for they were bright, inquisitive and full of mischief.

If they were not at the barracks, the twins could often be found sitting on the practice fields, cheering on their favorite archer or swordsman in the grueling training rounds. Their champions would vary from day to day and whomever they picked would emerge smiling whether he had won or lost. Lord Glorfindel, of course, was their favorite, but it was rare he participated. The twins were fair and knew of their effect on morale. There was not a guardian in the ranks who had not been championed by them at one time or another and the soldiers loved them for that.

There were also those times when battle-hardened hearts grew warm and smiles were stifled as Imladris' protectors watched a harried chief advisor or white-haired minstrel come to fetch two wide-eyed elflings who had overstayed their welcome and were late for lessons. Two dark-haired heads would look up at the taller elves and although the warriors' could not hear the excuses, the site of the animated faces and bouncy steps left them smiling long after the young ones had left.

So it was with heavy hearts they searched the well-known territory of their watch, hoping to hear a little voice crying, "Here I am!" All too often the news they received was bad, and to think that something had happened to one of their young lords was distressing. Ground was covered again and again, and riders urged their horses to be very careful in the undergrowth, as none wished the animals to step on or frighten a small elfling. But as the afternoon wore on, neither a track had been sighted nor a shout of "found" heard.

Lord Glorfindel was perhaps the most worried and upset elf amongst them. He took Elrohir's absence personally. It was his job to ensure the safety of all that dwelled within Imladris' borders, and to lose sight of one of his lord's sons was, in his mind, a great failure. How the youngster managed to elude the sentries, he did not know, but after this was over, there would be changes made to duty schedules and watch posts. He sighed, and prayed to the Valar that the little one be safely found, and soon.

All throughout the woods, the great warhorses plodded while guardians called out Elrohir's name, but the skilled trackers of Imladris did not have any luck, the elfling did not answer.

Anendel and Cirith were two of the soldiers assigned to the search. They had been partners for centuries, and both had much on their mind besides the lost elfling. Cirith had found that his love for Anendel outweighed that for another and had broken the news to Lindir yesterday. He felt much guilt for leading the minstrel on, as did his new love. They had secretly harbored a desire for each other for ages, but neither had the nerve to tell his friend of his feelings. Cirith had finally lost hope, thinking he had no chance, and so met Lindir, a gentle soul who eased his pain and also won a place in his heart.

A confession late at night by his partner left him in a dilemma, forcing him to choose between the two. But in his heart of hearts, there was only one choice. And so Lindir had been the receiver of bad news. Both elves regretted hurting the minstrel, for he did not deserve such treatment, but rejoiced that they had finally found each other. All's fair in love and war.