Warrior by Mirasaui

Erestor had returned to his old self after that day, leaving Lindir to wonder if he had taken Erestor's looks and complimentary words out of context. As time passed, the pain he felt inside from his lover's betrayal lessened, but did not go away entirely. He spent his days working in the library or running errands for either Lord Elrond or Lord Erestor, or looking after the twins. Elrohir had still not regained the cheerful countenance he had before Maethor disappeared, and Lindir worried about him.

Although Lord Elrond had forbidden Elrohir to speak Maethor's name, Lindir knew that his lord did not really mean it. So he tried to encourage Elrohir to talk about what happened. "I know Maethor was a good friend to you, Elrohir, and I am sorry that we could not find him. I know you do not have many playmates your age, and although Elladan is your brother, he does not always understand you. But you do not really need your toy to continue your friendship with the warrior."

Elrohir looked at Lindir with sad eyes. Lindir was no different than the other adults in his life. He thought the minstrel had understood about Maethor. His warrior was real, not a figment of his imagination. Maybe they had not seen him, but Elrohir had, almost every day. And Maethor was as good a friend as anyone could want. His grief for the warrior was real. Why was everyone determined to belittle it? He sighed; it was enough to lose his friend, but to have those close to him not believe in him made it even worse. But although he was sad, the constant pain had ebbed. There were days that passed when he forgot about his friend. Time was beginning to erase the bad memories and leave good ones in their place.

There was another elf who understood about time and grief. Erestor had hidden his feelings for Lindir while the minstrel adjusted to his loss. But they had not gone away, if anything, they had grown stronger. It had been a year since Lindir's lover had left him and Erestor decided that was enough time to wait. It was act now or forever lose the chance.

That night after dinner when all retired to the Hall of Fire, Erestor took his usual place on a bench at the back of the room. Over the past year he had come often to listen to Lindir sing, the minstrel's voice was one of the loveliest in Imladris. Lindir's slender fingers would pluck the strings of his harp in accompaniment, the sweet notes a perfect harmony to his voice. As he took in the music, Erestor would dream that one day Lindir would sing just for him, a song of love.

That night, like most other nights in the Hall of Fire, there were many elves that had come to tell stories and listen to the songs. Lindir usually waited until later to perform, so Erestor was able to secretly watch him as he laughed and talked with his friends. The advisor's palms were sweaty and his stomach was in knots, for tonight he wished to speak with Lindir on a subject other than that of work.

Time seemed to slow and the night dragged as Erestor patiently waited for the festivities to end. When most of the elves had left, Erestor still sat alone on the bench in the back. He watched as Lindir carefully covered his harp with a piece of soft fabric and tucked it under his arm. The minstrel said his good nights and turned, walking out of the room. It was then Erestor stood and followed silently behind him. When they entered the corridors that led to the bedchambers, Erestor caught up with him. "Lindir?" he asked in a quiet voice, "Do you have a moment?"

Lindir smiled, "Of course Lord Erestor. If you can wait, I will put my harp in my room and be right out."

Erestor nodded and waited for the minstrel to return. True to his word, it only took a second and Lindir was back at his side. "What is it you wish to speak to me about?" Lindir asked.

Erestor hesitated for a second, then voiced his thoughts. "I wondered if you would care to have dinner with me in my room tomorrow night?" He held his breath and waited for Lindir to answer.

Lindir was caught off guard. He had not expected the conversation to be personal. He thought back to that time in the library when Erestor had approached him before and he smiled.

"I am honored to be invited," he replied, "And I accept. What time do you wish me to arrive?"

"I will have everything ready by the dinner bell, you may come to my room then." Erestor said, an answering smile on his face. "Thank you for accepting."

"You are welcome," Lindir replied, "I look forward to a lovely evening. If you do not mind, I will excuse myself and retire to my chamber for sleep."

"Good night, Lindir," Erestor replied softly.

"Good night, Lord Erestor," Lindir echoed.

Erestor nodded and waited until the minstrel had entered his room and closed the door, then walked down the hall to his own chamber. He went inside and removed his robe, hung it in the wardrobe then undressed for bed. He was pleased the minstrel had accepted his invitation and knew he would have much to do the next day to make the evening a success. He climbed in bed and was soon asleep, his lips curved in a sweet smile.