A Matter Of Tolerance by Nadja Lee

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Timeline: Set after the 'LOTR: The Return Of The King' movie/book...whatever.
Universe: Movie. ONLY movie! This series quickly goes alternative ending though *LOL*
Thanks to Sorcieré for the Beta.
Sequel/series: Part 3 of "A Matter Of..." series.
It's strange. I grew up in these halls yet today I feel like a stranger, an outsider. I correct an imaginary fold in my tunic and take a deep breath. I hate parties like these. They were bad enough before the war of the Ring, before...I cast Aragorn a stolen glance and smile. He looks stunning in his blue tunic, his brown hair neatly combed and his crown in place on his head as it should be. No, no matter what, I can't - and won't - ever regret admitting my feelings for him. For had I not, I would not today rule Gondor by his side, and I would not be able to fall into a peaceful sleep in his arms in the King's chambers.

"You look troubled," Aragorn comments softly and walks to me, putting his hands on my shoulders. I force a smile.

"Not at all. I fear no one," the latter is said with a small smile and a gleam in my eyes, for over the years I've learn that although pride can save you, it can also bring you to downfall. He smiles back and kisses my forehead.

"I know you do not, although some of our guests speak with two tongues and both should be ignored," he says and I understand both his obvious and hidden meaning.

"As you wish. Shall we go?" I ask and indicate the door with a wave of my hands.

"We shall."

His right hand rests on his sword handle as mine rests on my sword as we walk down the hall, quickly followed by an army of servants and aids. We reach the door to the main dinner hall where the party is held. The doors open and everyone in the room turns to look. Aragorn chooses not to see it, but in our nobles eyes I can see their distaste for me, for what I am and what I represent. I hold my head up high and stare back until they look away.

"His Royal Highness, King Aragorn of Gondor," the servant introduces and the men bows and the women curtsies. "His Grace, Boromir, the Lord Of Gondor, commander of the Royal army," he introduces, and again there is bowing and curtsies, though not as low as to Aragorn.

"I need to speak with some people over there. Go mingle?" Aragorn says, as he's to leave my side. I can see the worry in his dark eyes.

"Relax, Aragorn. Most of them may dislike me but none would dare to harm me," I reassure him and to prove I'm not frightened I lean in and kisses him on the mouth. He draws his arms around me and deepens the kiss before he reluctantly draws back. He smile at me before he walks across the room to some noblemen, waiting for a conversation with their King about a matter of state. I look after him for a short while before I turn around and walk the other way. People are polite enough, they nod as I approach but in their eyes, the men's eyes, I see dislike on the borderline to hate. The women are normally kind enough and have nothing against me. All things fair I know that it isn't me personally our nobles dislike, it is what I am to our King. That I'm his partner and his lover. Aragorn may have revoked the law but the old ways die hard. After some polite conversation with some of the women I look around to see if some of the Elves have arrived. The official reason to hold this feast in the White City is to celebrate Sauron's downfall three years ago and the triumph of the fellowship though the real reason is to create contacts to other races and nations, make agreements on war, peace, trade, taxes and so on.

"Do you seek someone, Boromir?" a familiar voice asks teasingly from behind me and I smile as I turn around.

"Legolas! It is good to see you again," I say warmly and shake his hand. Only an Elf could come so close to me without my hearing him.

"It is good to see you and Aragorn again, too," Legolas says and his quick eye instantly finds Aragorn in the mist of all the people and gives a polite nod of his head in his direction.

"How is your father? Your Kingdom?" I ask as we walk towards the table with food placed in the middle of the room.

"My father is well, thank you. My kingdom fares well now after the Evil has been driven away," Legolas says as he takes some food and I do likewise.

"That is good to hear," I say as we walk to sit by a table.

"You sound troubled. Do Gondor not fare well?" Legolas asks concerned.

"The Kingdom fares well," I say softly, my eyes clouded.

"But you do not?"

"I'm happy, Legolas. For the first time I'm truly happy. Aragorn brings me more joy and pleasure for each day which passes," I say warmly, knowing my eyes must be showing my affections but I don't care.

"Others are not happy for you I take it?" Legolas asks insightfully.

"How did you know? It is not something which is talked about," I ask puzzled.

"I have eyes and ears. Your nobles, they respect your skills as a warrior but they can't and won't accept you as Aragorn's partner," Legolas says things as he sees them, and as they are.

"If that is so, then they're fools," a female voice says from behind me.

"Princess Arwen. Elves seem to have a habit of sneaking up on me today," I say with a smile and stand up and take a chair to our table for her to sit down. Legolas and I remain standing until she is seated before we sit down again. She smiles at me and puts a delicate, pale hand over my much darker colored hand.

"Boromir, there is no hostility between you and I. I've lived for many hundreds years and I know love when I see it. Aragorn's happiness is what matters to me and in your eyes I see that he has found it," she reassures me, as she must have sensed my nervousness. I smile warmly.

"Thank you, My Lady," I say and lift her hand to my lips and kiss it.

"I do not understand these humans sometimes. Why won't they be happy for their King?" Legolas asks and sounds truly puzzled.

"It's more difficult than that, Legolas. They think that...they just find it wrong," I try to explain but find I really don't have any excuses for them. "Why?" Arwen asks, sounding just as puzzled.

"Our religion and our upbringing says that we must marry a human of the opposite sex," I explain.

"So an Elf marring a human would be just as bad?" Arwen says, thinking about what would have happened if she had married Aragorn.

"No. Elves are highly respected for their skills and powers. You would have been loved by all," I say with a smile and try to keep the hint of jealousy from my voice.

"How can humans judge others like that? What do they base their judgement on? Upbringing? It is naught but a view of life that can change. A religion? A religion which outlaws love in any form is not worth worshipping," Legolas says and I smile. Whatever Gods there be, let them bless the Elves for they are truly the wisest and fairest of all creatures.

"All Elves I know, myself included, have had a partner of the same sex at least once in their long life. How can humans respect and admire our way of life yet ignores this fact?" Arwen asks, frowning.

"People see what they want to see. For many people, the truth is whatever they believe in, nothing else," I say, knowing I must sound very pessimistic.

"That is no truth at all," Legolas says in a hard voice.

"No, but reality and ideals mix very badly where humans are concerned," I say softly and remember my own desire to take the One Ring from Frodo. But that was before Aragorn spoke with me, before I found hope in our love. After that, the Ring held no power over me.

"One day humans will respect and understand all kinds of love and see that love is the greatest power of all," Arwen says warmly and I smile. I know why Aragorn care for her, for she is truly a light in darkness.

"I appreciate your faith in my race though I have my doubts," I admit. I see Aragorn walk towards our table and I wave him over to us. As he stops by our table we all stand up.

"Legolas. So good to see you," Aragorn says warmly and the two men shake hands.

"Likewise, my friend," Legolas says as they draw apart.

"And Arwen...you look stunning," he says and kisses her cheek. He is right, she is stunning; all dressed in white, the Evenstar around her neck shinning like a jewel...It is hard not to be jealous when I know of the feelings he once bore for her, and I know that he still loves her, in one way or another.

"Thank you. It is good to see you again," she says warmly as she draws back. For a moment a strange silence falls over us, the only sound the music being playing.

"Arwen, may I ask for this dance?" Legolas asks as she stands up, stretching his hand out towards her.

"It'll be my pleasure," she says and smiles, as she's lead to the dance floor. Aragorn sits on the chair next to me that Arwen has just left. I smile as I see Legolas and Arwen dance together. They look beautiful together, the same grace and air of royalty around them.

"Thinking about playing matchmaker?" Aragorn teases me and I laugh.

"Not in this lifetime."

"You do know that it's over between Arwen and me, do you not? It's you I love now. Forever," he says softly. Sometimes I swear that man can read minds or else it must be his upbringing with the Elves.

"I know," I say and smile, happy to be assured in my love.

"I love you," he says as he moves in for a kiss.

"Love you too," I whisper back as our breath mix and his lips catches mine.

The End