Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

The fellowship sat stunned by Legolas' words, by his thoughts.

How could such a perfect being think he was a failure? Frodo wondered. He idolized the elf, he thought that Legolas was the best one in the fellowship.

Aragorn sat silently thinking about his friends words. He had always known that Thranduil was a hard man. But how could he say those things about his own son? Legolas was an excellent fighter, good friend, loyal and true. But years of put downs, name calling, and much worse had tainted his self worth. He believed what his father told him, what others said did not matter. No one knew what to say to Legolas, let alone what to do. He had bared his soul and they did not know how to lessen his pain. He sat across form them crying and wishing he was dead.

What can we do to help him? Frodo thought sadly. He suspected that whatever they did Legolas would fight them. He thought that he had no friends, that he was cold, and arrogant.

"Legolas you are my friend and I don't think that you are distant, cold, unforgiving, stubborn, and hateful. I definitely do not consider you a failure. I think your father is a pompous pig headed asshole for saying those things to his own son! And I'll let you in on a secret........everyone is flawed.........even kings and princes." Aragorn said suddenly and quietly.

The rest of the fellowship nodded, agreeing with him. Legolas looked up at them, hope glimmered in his eyes. "You all are really my friends?" he asked hopefully.

Frodo got up and walked over to Legolas, kneeling next to him he gave him a hug. "Yes we are really your friends."

Legolas smiled for the first time in 60 years and felt that everything would be alright. As Frodo sat back down Aragorn handed Legolas a cup of hot tea.

"Drink this Legolas and then rest you still have a long way to go before you are completely healed." In body and spirit. he longed to say. "We will stay here for today. I suggest everyone rest today."


Later that night

Aragorn sat watching the fellowship sleep, he had taken the first watch. Mostly because he was worried about Legolas. Aragorn knew that Thranduil had not been an attentive father but he had no idea he was an abusive father. He had mentally abused his son for close to three thousand years! If Aragorn ever saw or heard Thranduil putting Legolas down he would kill him, kill him very slowly. Aragorn heard a rustle and he glanced around looking to see if anything was amiss. He saw Legolas get up and walk toward the forest. Fear had Aragorn following him. Fear of what Legolas would do to himself, and fear of what he wouldn't do. He saw Legolas sit under a tree near where Aragorn had found him. He saw Legolas pull out his dagger (where he got it Aragorn didn't know) and place it on his right arm. Aragorn knelt next to Legolas and he put his hand over Legolas'. Legolas looked at him, despair in his eyes.

"I am not trying to kill my self........I just need to get rid of the pain." he said sadly.

"I can think of better ways to get rid of the pain....." Aragorn replied as he took the dagger from Legolas.

"How?"

"Like this........." Aragorn said as he framed Legolas' face with his hands, he then leaned forward and kissed Legolas' lips softly.