Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Legolas stood just outside Haldir's talan watching the hobbits below him. After the bath Aragorn, Haldir, and Legolas had spent the rest of the morning in bed. But then Lady Galadriel had to speak with them so here he stood watching, and waiting. Legolas sighed and decided to take a walk around Lorien to clear his mind. Near the front entrance he noticed a commotion, a rather large band of elves was being escorted in by Haldir's brother Rumil. The five strange elves wore brown and green raiment, but the elf in the middle caught his attention. He wore a raiment of green and silver, his hair was long and slivery blond, and he wore a silver brooch. Thranduil.

My father is here in Lorien? Legolas thought frantically as he raced back to Haldir's talan.

He had to change! If his father saw him like this, in his travel clothes he'd never hear the end of it! He was grateful that Galadriel had given several outfits for him to wear while he was here. Inside the talan he tore off his old clothes and put on black leggings, a silver tunic, and black boots. He was in the process of brushing and rebraiding his hair when Haldir and Aragorn entered. They didn't have to say a word, he knew they were here to take him to see his father. Legolas turned to look at them, his fear was evident in his eyes. Haldir stepped forward and hugged him, while Aragorn finished braiding his hair.

"He will never hurt you again. We will not stand for it." Aragorn swore to him.

Legolas nodded and stepped back, it was time. Haldir led them to the study where Thranduil, Lady Galadriel, and Lord Celeborn were. Haldir bowed to his lord and lady then he turned to leave, as did Aragorn.

"Haldir my son I wish for you and Aragorn to remain." Celeborn stated his look daring Thranduil to disagree.

Thranduil wisely said nothing.

"Legolas I know you have suffered recently and I am reluctant to add to your pain. If you wish to go you may." Galadriel offered him.

"Nay, milady I.....I will stay." he whispered staring at the ground. "How did you know I was here?" he asked his father.

"Lord Elrond sent me a message stating you went off on some foolish quest. I knew you'd have to stop here for rest." Thranduil sneered. "You are to come home with me at once! You neglect Mirkwood and shirk your duties once again."

"What about my duties and obligations to the fellowship?" Legolas asked as he finally looked up at his father.

"Lord Elrond said you could return if you wish to."

"I do not wish to."

"What? What did you say to me?" Thranduil took a menacing step toward Legolas.

Legolas's heart thundered inside his chest, he cringed waiting for the blow that would surely follow.

Thranduil raised his hand to strike his son but was shocked when the human grabbed his arm.

"If you so much as touch him, your highness, it will be the last thing you ever do."

Aragorn said rage coloring his every word.

Thranduil wrenched his arm back "And just who are you human?"

"I am Aragorn, leader of the fellowship your son is under my command and my protection." Aragorn stepped back to stand next to Legolas.

"Thranduil! Sit down there and shut up!" Celeborn snapped as he stood up. "We did not ask you here so you could berate and hit your son! He has suffered quite enough and most of it is your fault!"

Thranduil paled as he sat "How do you know what I have done to my son? What lies has he told you now?"

"He has told no lies for the heart doesn't lie. I have seen his thoughts, his pain, his very soul." Galadriel stood next to her husband. "I have seen the millennia of torment, name calling, and abuse you have heaped on your son. Tell my why Haldir, Rumil, Orophin, Elladan, Elrohir, and Estel were suddenly kept away from him. Why did you forbid them?"

"Because they were bad influences upon my son." Thranduil said looking not at Galadriel but at the floor.

"So say you. Did it ever occur to you that the only times he was truly happy was when he was with his friends?" Galadriel paused when she saw the look that flashed across Thranduil's face. "Ahhh now I see, it did occur to you.....You were and are jealous of anyone who gets close to your son."

Thranduil looked up at Galadriel "Yes it does bother me. My son would rather spend time with his friends and not his family. He is the only family I have left. Can you blame me for wanting him to stay home? Believe it or not I do love my son very much. Jealousy can make a person lash out in unexpected ways."

Legolas was dumbstruck by his father's revelation. He loves me? He was just jealous and it made him lash out?

"It matters not the reason why you did it you still did!" Legolas yelled at his father.

"Did you.....Do you know that I wanted to die? I tried to kill myself many many times because of you! I would not be here if it wasn't for Aragorn!" Legolas rolled his sleeve up and removed the bandage on his left arm, he showed his father the long vicious cut. "He saved me because he loves me! ME! The one you said no one could love! I am tired of listening to your lies! I hate you! I hate you for everything!" Legolas then rolled up his other sleeve and showed his father his scars. "I have been doing this to deal with the pain you caused."

Thranduil's eyes widened at his sons outburst, he looked down again but not before Legolas saw that his father was crying.

Legolas was shocked My father is crying? I made him cry? suddenly he couldn't stay here anymore. He turned and ran out of the room, ignoring the cried telling him to stop. He ran down the stairs and out into the woods, tears pouring down his face. He stopped when he reached the river, he saw someone was bathing there. It was Rumil, his clothes and weapons lay on the bank next to his feet. Without a thought he grabbed Rumil's dagger and ran off into the woods to be alone.

Why can't I stop hurting people? Why? Legolas fell to his knees as he cried. There was only one way to solve this, only one. He took the pilfered dagger and placed on his right arm, he slowly cut himself once, twice, three times. The cuts were long and shallow so they were not life threatening, so he slowly placed the dagger on his flesh for a fourth and final cut.

"Legolas Greenleaf what in the name of the Valar are you doing?"

Legolas was startled by the shout, he had not heard any one approach. He looked behind him and there was Rumil, an angry look upon his face.




Rumil had been swimming to cool off when he saw a movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned in time to see Legolas run off with his dagger.

What is he doing? he thought as he swam to shore, Rumil quickly dressed and followed Legolas.

His eyes widened when he saw Legolas cut him self three times, then he prepared for a fourth cut.

"Legolas Greenleaf what in the name of the Valar are you doing?" Rumil shouted angrily at him for he knew Haldir would be devastated to learn his love was hurting himself on purpose again! Legolas turned and saw him, shame coloring his face.

"Tis not your concern Rumil.......Just leave me alone!" Legolas shouted at him.

"I cannot do that Legolas, you are one of my oldest friends. Tell me what ails you." Rumil knelt in front of Legolas and took the dagger from him. Frustrated Legolas told Rumil the whole tale.




Celeborn, Galadriel, and Thranduil sat talking in low voices, while Aragorn and Haldir waited for Legolas to return. Suddenly Galadriel stopped talking she stood up and walked over to the window.

"Legolas has hurt himself again!" she cried out terrified for him "Oh thank the Valar........Rumil is with him." she sighed relieved.

Haldir and Aragorn raced out to find their beloved.