Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Legolas's arms twined around Aragorn's neck, pulling him closer. Seeking the warmth, comfort, and security that Aragorn offered. For the first time in many, many years he truly felt loved. Aragorn broke off the kiss and stared deeply into Legolas's eyes.

"Do not ever try to hurt yorself again. Please let me help you mellon." Aragorn said as his thumb idly brushed Legolas's cheek.

"I am afraid that no one can help me. It's like a darkness is eating at my heart, I can hear my father over and over." Legolas cried out.

Aragorn pulled Legolas into a tight embrace, he could feel the elf's tears on his shoulder. For the thousandth time that night he cursed Thranduil, for his treatment of his only son. Aragorn ran his hand up and down Legolas's back trying desperately to soothe him. After many minutes the elf's sobs subsided, and Aragorn pulled them both to their feet.

"Come, you need to rest some more." Aragorn said guiding Legolas's back to their campsite.

The next morning the fellowship started out once again, they would reach the golden wood in a few hours. Legolas had been angered when he discovered that his twin swords and dagger had been taken from him. Boromir carried the swords while Aragorn had the dagger in his pack.

They treat me like a child. he thought sullenly to himself, he knew they ment well but it still upset him. When they entered the golden wood he felt most of his troubles disappear. Suddenly he heard a slight noise, barely distinguishable even with his elven hearing. He pulled out his bow and notched an arrow to it, just as elvish archers surrounded them. His eyes darted to the left then to the right, looking for a target.

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." Haldir said.

Legolas's eyes widened as he recognized Haldir's voice.

"Haldir of Lorien we need your protection." Aragorn said in elvish.

"Aragorn these woods are perilous we should leave." Gimli blustered angrily.

Haldir looked around at the fellowship, his eyes widened slightly at the sight of Legolas.

"You cannot leave, Come she is waiting." With that Haldir turned and started walking towards Lorien.

"Are you all right my friend?" Haldir asked gently.

"As if you care, my friend." Legolas said scarcasticaly.

They fell silent as they continued on to Lorien, although Haldir never left Legolas's side. Around midday their guides called a halt to let them rest. The hobbits sat own gratefully, for their feet hurt dreadfully. As the fellowship rested Legolas fet restless. Sighing he stood and left the fellowship to wander about in the woods. He half expected Aragorn to follow him, but he obviously knew that he needed time to himself. As he wandered he thought about all the fun times he and Haldir used to have. Haldir used to vist Mirkwood at least once a season, those times were the only times Legolas had been really happy in his youth. Then about 100 years ago Haldir stopped coming, stopped writing, and he had never heard from him again. Untill now.

"You should not wander by yourself, there are orcs about. Even here in the golden wood."

Legolas started he had been so wrapped up in his thoughts that he did not hear Haldir approach.

"Leave me be." Legolas growled.

"I wish to explain why I never sent word to you." Haldir's voice was soft and pleading.

Legolas turned to face his friend. "You had the chance 100 years ago! But no, you decided to sever our freindship without my consent. So what can you say now to make it better?" he snapped.

"I was told by your father to never come back."

Legolas's eyes widened in shock, had he heard right?. Haldir nodded sadly confirming his worst fears.

"He said I was a bad influence on you. That I was to leave and never contact you again. If I did he said he would tell Lady Galadriel that I had taken improper liberties with you." Haldir finished

"But we never.............." Legolas could not finish the thought.

"I wanted to contact you so badly mellon, you must believe me! I came every season to make sure you were stil alive. I knew of the terrible thngs your father said to you, I knew that you were sinking into dispair. I wanted to help you." Tears rolled down Haldir's face as he spoke. Legolas said nothing, instead he removed his bracers and showed Haldir his scarred right arm. A strangled cry escaped Haldir's throat as he softly kissed the scarred flesh.

"Oh Legolas why do this to yourself? If only you told me I never would have left. I would have told your father that he could go to hell."

Again Legolas said nothing he simply showed Haldir his left arm. "I tried to kill myself three days ago. Aragorn saved me."

"I am glad he did." Haldir said as he embraced Legolas.