Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Chapter notes: A/N: Legolas's POV
When I awake in the morning the pain is all but gone. The barest twinges remain and soon those are gone as well. Aragorn is holding me and for that I am grateful. We have had only one chance to be alone since Lorien. It was after we camped for the night and Boromir had first watch. I slipped away to be alone and Aragorn followed. He was afaid of what i'd do. We talked about Haldir alot and finaly we found solace in each others bodies. The tent flap is pulled back shaking me from my memories. Gandalf stands there smiling at me.

"Well well Legolas you look none the worse for wear." he said teasingly. "How do you feel? Can you ride?"

"I feel fine and yes I can ride." I awnser in a low voice so I did not wake Aragorn.

Gandalf nodded "We leave in half an hour. Someone shall bring you breakfast."

I nod as he leaves then I turn to Aragorn to wake him. I see that he is already awake and smiling. He says nothing as he kisses me. I want this to turn into something more but the arrival of breakfast makes it not so. We eat and dress for the day within the hour we are riding toward Edoras. When we get there we are ordered to disarm. I hand them my knives and bow my eyes promising swift retibution if they are taken or mishandled. They wish to take Gandalfs staff but after he assures them it is harmless we are allowed to pass. A smarmy man hisses at us and whispers things into the Kings ear. Gandalf attempts to free him from Saruman's grasp. Me and Aragorn take care of all that oppose him. Soon Theoden is freed and Grima is running toward Isengard. Aragorn and Gimli sit eating and smoking whilst Gandalf and the King speak. I stand near my love. I hear the king say he will not risk open war.

"Open war is upon yu weather you risk it or not." Aragorn points out only to geet a sharp reply.

"Last I checked Theoden not Aragorn ruled in Rohan." he sneered before he told us that him and his people would make the stand at Helm's Deep.

I ahake with anger at the King's words. Aragorn is heir to Gondor not just some lowly ranger! He is trying to help Theoden's people. I glare at the king and he gulps and turns away. Gandalf rides to find Eomer to bring him to our aid. Soon all the women, children, old, sick, well, and young are marching with us to Helm's Deep. I ride next to Aragorn and Eowyn. Gimli is regaling her with dwarven tales and Aragorn is flirting with her. I feel jealousy stir within me but I squash it. He is just being nice. Right? I say nothing as I ponder my beloveds actions. He looks sidelong at me and smiles reassuring me of our bond. Suddenly wargs are upon us and we stay back to fight and protect the people of Rohan. I lose sight of Aragorn in the melee and instead concentrate on staying alive. Soon it is over and Aragorn is nowhere in sight. We question an Orc and he tells us he fell. I kill the Orc in my anger. I stand next to the precipice crying, screaming at the gods. I cannot feel him. He is dead. Only Haldir's bond is keeping me alive. I hear Theoden approach.

"Leave the dead I hear him say as he squeezes my shoulder. We ride away. I cry the whole way to Helm's Deep. When we arrive Theoden gives me and Gimli rooms and leave us to ourselves. I lay on the bed crying for hours I lay there alone. A soft rap startles me.

"Come." my voice is raspy from the hours of crying.

The door opens and Theoden enters. I sit up startled even more.

"Please sit milord." I geasture to the only chair in the room.

He sits. "You do not have to call me lord Legolas. Gimli tells me you are a Price of the elven realm of Mirkwood."

I nod.

"We are equals then. I wish to ask you something."

I sit waiting.

"You and Aragorn were lovers were you not?"

I sit speechless. "Yes." I say hesitantly know how some men viewed homosexuality. His next words reassure me.

"Oh do not worry I understand the bond between warriors. Before my marrige I had a male lover. HE fell in battle also."

Tears well up in my eyes. He understood how I felt.

"But I am confused I was told that when an elven heart is broken the elf dies also. Why are you still alive Legolas?" he asked gently.

"We were also bonded with another on my kin. A sentry of Lorien named Haldir. Tis our bond that keeps me here. My love for him is strong. Should I die here he shall perish also." I say slowly.

He nods. "Rest Legolas I feel that things will be alright. I nod but my heart tells me nay. He smiles at me and he exits the room.




The next day I am standing outside with the sun on my face. I take joy in the simple things now for soon I feel that I will be dead. Gimli sits next to Eowyn and they speak in low voices. I can tell that they are worried about me. I say nothing my attention rivited by a commotion at the gates. I gasp as I see Aragorn wearily walk up to me. Stunned I say the only thing that comes to mind.

"Your late."

He smiles and hugs me and I eagerly return the embrace. I hand him the evenstar pendant and he takes it gratefully. I know that he loves her also so I am not jealous. After the war he will marry her and me and Haldir will live in Gondor close to our beloved. Arwen being a elf will not hinder our relationship and we will not hinder hers. For neither I nor Haldir can give Gondor an heir.

"You look terrible." I say smiling this time. He smiles back and asks me to take him to Theoden.




Later on at night our plan laid out I drag Aragorn to my room. I make him rest knowing that soon we could be parted forever. When I awake he is gone I find him in the armory surround by the 'troops'. That word being not enough to describe what I see. The old and the extremly young beiing outfitted. Only three hundred of them. I am outraged. I turn to Aragorn angrily, spoiling for a fight.

"three hundred against ten thousand? This is folly! They will all die!" I shout. All the men fall quiet as Aragorn says.

"Then I shall die as one of them!"

I stare at him before I turn and leave the room I cry and rage in our room for a few hours before I seek him out.

I find him putting on his armor. I pick up his sword and hand it to him before he can. He looks shocked as I say.

"I was wrong to give into dispair. You haven't led us wrong yet. Pplease forgive me." I whisper not looking at him. He rasies my chin and smiles before he kisses me

Suddenly a horn sounds. It was not a horn of man but of an elf. Startled we race for the stairs untill we reach the courtyard. We see hundreds of thousands of elves marching in. At the front is Haldir! My heart gives a leap he is speaking to Theoden. He says that men and elves should honor the alliances of old. Theoden looks slightly shocked as Aragorn leaps down and hugs Haldir. Haldir is taken aback but hugs his lover back. I stand watching untill Theoden turns and requests Aragorns presence in ten miuntes. Aragorn leads Haldir to me and I hug him then we leave to go to our room.