Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Chapter notes: A/N: Legolas's POV
As we rowed away from Lorien my mind wandered to last nights farwell banquet. There had been food, music, and dancing. After dinner Lady Galadriel gifted us with many things including cloaks with pins, and many provisions. She had given each of them a specialized gift for their journey. After that the hobbits, Boromir, and Gimli headed off to sleep. For they had a long trek ahead of them on the morrow. Haldir, Aragorn, and I consumated our bond afterward we cried because we had to part. As we rowed away I could see him standing next to Galadriel and Celeborn. He loked so sad and lonely. He had made them promise that they would come back to him alive.

"Legolas?" a voice inturrupted my thoughts.

"Yes Master Dwarf?" I asked smiling trying not to show my sadness. It didn't work.

"Do not fret my fried you will see him again." Gimli said patting me on the shoulder.

"Thank you my friend." I said really smiling for the first time all day. Up ahead I could see Aragorn signaling for us to stop for the night. After we drug the boats ahore far enough so the tide did not reach them. I started a fire for it was growing cold. Sam cooked for everyone except me. I ate some lembas and tea, meat just did not sound good to me. I saw Boromir and Aragorn talking...Arguing really. Boromir was a good man, it was just the ring corrupting him. Then I heard Aragorn say something I did not expect.

"I would not take the rings within a hundred yards of your city!" Aragorn snapped as he walked away.

I saw anger, sadness, and many other emotions rioting through Boromir's eyes. Soon after Boromir and the others lay down to sleep. Only me and Aragorn were awake.

"Go to sleep Aragorn. I will keep watch." I said rather shortly. He dropped his head into his hands.

"So your mad at me also?"

"Yes." I snap. "He is only trying to help his city! He is a good man it is the ring that makes him think those things. He is trying to help YOUR city!"

"I know. But the ring cannot be used." Aragorn sighed and looked up into my eyes. My anger quickly melted at the emotions I saw in his eyes.

"I know. But you should apologize to him not me." I said softly as I pulled him into my arms. He eagerly returned my embrace. "I miss him also." I said guessing what was truly wrong with him. "I know." he whispered.

"Go to sleep Aragorn I will watch all night long." He settled down next to me and was soon fast asleep.




The next day was hell on earth. We landed at the Rauros falls while Aragorn told us what route we would take. Gimli was as usual displeased and was complaing very loudly. I looked around and noticed that Frodo and Boromir were gone. We all split up and went to look for them. When I came upon Aragorn fighting me and Gimli joined the fray.

"Aragorn go!" I shouted hopeing he understood I wanted him to find the halflings. No sooner had he ran away when I heard a sound that made my blood curdle.

"The horn of Gondor." I said feeling dread shroud me.

Me and Gimli ran to find Boromir but what wwe found made us cry. Aragorn was holding a dying Boromir, the halflings were missing. I watched my beloved talk to his kinsman, I watched Boromir die.

"I will not let the White City fall." I heard Aragorn swear. I would help him make sure of it I swore to myself. We placed Boromir's body, his weapons, horn, and many weapons of his slain enemies into a boat and let it drift down the falls. I watched Aragorn put on Boromir's bracers honoring his lost kinsman. I began to push the boats into the water but Aragorn stopped me. "You mean not to follow them." I said incredulous.

"We cannot abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we draw breath. We travel light. Lets hunt some orc." He said as he led us on the trail on the Uruk Hai.




We chased the Uruk for many days and nights untill human and dwarven phisology demanded we stop. Gimli started a small fire as I passed out lembas and water. Aragorn refused food but he drank water. He appeared distracted, he kept fingering Boromir's bracers. I knew Boromir's death affected him alot. Gimli offered to take watch so Aragorn walked out of the firelight to be alone. I followed him.

"Leave me alone Legolas." he said sharply. His words cut me deep, more so then he will ever know.

"I cannot. We are bonded I feel what you feel. Let me help." I plead with him.

"You cannot help me. Now let me be." Aragorn said rudely pushing me aside.

Tears of hurt welled up into my eyes as he pushed me aside. I felt wortless again like he didn't love me anymore. Hurt I turn and run away into the forest. I came upon a rock so I sat down crying. I pulled out my dagger and stared at it. I remembered the first time I cut myself I had used this very dagger. My father had given me this dagger when I came of age, he had been so proud of me. It had been after and Orc hunt, I had been injured with scratches and bruises. I noticed the more they hurt the less important the ache in my heart became. That night I secluded myself in my tent and I cut my arm for the first time. It felt good, it felt right. Soon the ache in my heart lessened and I began to do it on a daily basis. I roll up my sleeves and I place the tip of the dagger on my left arm. I allowed the tip to graze my arm causing a white line to appear. I played the tip gently on my arm causing many thin white lines to appear. As I prepared to cut deeper a hand stopped me. Startled I look up into the eyes of Aragorn. He said nothing he simply rearranged the dagger in my hand untill it was pointed outward at him. He guided my hand untill the dagger tip was placed at his heart. I look into his eyes and saw how determined he was.

"If you want to cut yourself then you'd better drive this dagger into my heart right now. Everytime you hurt yourself a part of me dies. So do it swiftly instead of slowly." I saw tears spring into his eyes. "I am sorry I pushed you. The fellowship has broken...But I will not fail the little ones."

Saying nothing I dropped the dagger and kissed him hard on his lips. He truly cared for me! My heart sang as he gathered me into his arms and kissed me back. We slowly made our way back to camp where Gimli sat waiting, he smiled at us and told us to sleep. Aragorn laid down and pulled me into his arms again and we drifted off to sleep.