Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Aragorn awoke the next morning knowing the fellowship would be moving on soon. They had to move on and soon. Aragorn sighed if Legolas was not well enough then perhaps he coould stay behind. He got up and walked to the window, he could see the hobbits and Boromir talking. Aragorn realized that since his arrival in lothlroien he had basicaly ignored the other fellowship members. Shame swept through him. What kind of leader was he? He ignored those he was responsible for! Aragron jumped at the hands that gently rubbed his shoulders. Damn he hated being caught off guard!

"You will be leaving soon." Haldir stated as he rubbed Aragorn's shoulders and neck.

"Yes. If Legolas is not well he can stay behind." Aragorn sighed as he felt the tension drain out of him.

"He won't. We both know this. Galadriel said he should be well enough to travel on the morrow." Haldir pulled Aragorn into a brief hug.

Aragorn nodded and returned the embrace. "Tomorrow then. Stay with him? I must tell the others."

Haldir nodded and moved back toward the bed as Aragorn left the room.




They had been in lothlorien for a week and in that time Aragorn hadn't spent anytime with them. Boromir knew that Legolas required his attentions but he still felt forgotten. The hobbits had been enjoying themselfs immensly. The elves had been kind and kept the hobbits occupied. But Boromir still felt ill at ease here. A few minutes ago Haldir's brother Orophin had taken the hobbits for a walk and a picnic. He had been invited but the elves made him feel odd. The only elf he felt comfortable with was Legolas. He was so deep in his thoughts that he did not see Aragorn approach.

"What ails you son of Gondor?"

Boromir jumped and turned around glaring at the ranger. "Nothing. I as mearly thinking. Why are ou here? Does Legolas no loger require your attention? How does he fair?"

"He is fine. He recovers quickly and nicely. We will be leaving tomorrow. Where are the hobbits? I saw them with you not to long ago." Aragorn wondered why Boromir hadn't gone with them.

"Orophin took them for a picnic. Tomorrow you say? Is Legolas well enough or will he stay behind?" genuine concern laced his words.

"He is well enough." Aragorn sighed. "I must get back. Please tell the others for me? I am sorry I have been negligent to you and the others."

Boromir was taken aback by the apology. "Do not apologize. We understand that Legolas needs you now. How will Haldir take your leaving?"

"He understands. I wonder about the future though. When elves bond with mortals the elf becomes mortal and dies when the mprtal does. But there are two elves and a mortal in this bond. I wonder did I doom them both to death?" Aragorn mused aloud.

"I serously do not know. Why do you not ask the Lord or Lady?" Boromir suggested.

Aragorn nodded and gave Boromir a brief hug before he rose and left. Boromir stared at the rangers retreating back. Sighing he got up to tell the others that they would leave tomorrow.




When he re entered the room he saw Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn sitting across from the bed. Legolas was in a sitting positon propped up by pillows. Haldir sat on his right. They looked up as Aragorn entered, dread hit him. What was this about?

"Please sit Estel." Celeborn asked him.

Estel. Not a good sign, his father only called him that when he was upset at him. Aragorn sat on Legolas's left and he looked at the Lord and Lady.

"We need to talk to you about your unique bond." Galadriel started. "You all know that bonding to a mortal means that your immortality is surrendered." Galadriel looked over at Estel for a moment. He looked sad and guilty. "But it is not so in this case. When Estel dies and passes on to Mandos his love will have been enough to keep you two alive. Your immortality and his love over many many years will be enough to sustain these two." Galadriel smiled at the increduilty in their eyes.

"We know that tomorrow the fellowship will move on. Will you join us at a farewell feast tonight?" Celeborn asked them.

The three of them nodded. The Lord and Lady smiled and stood and left the room.




Rumil wandered through the forest trying to understand all that had happened in the past few days. Thranduil loved him and he loved Thranduil but what would Legolas think about the situation? Sighing Rumil sat under a tree as he tried to calm his mind. Tomorrow the fellowship was leaving so they had to talk to Legolas tonight.