Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Thranduil followed the young guardian through the forest untill the reached a secluded glade. Rumil turned and looked at the king. Why did he look so afraid? What was going through his mind?

"Your son will be ok. He will love and respect you eventually milord." Rumil spoke with quiet authority.

Thranduil rasied an eyebrow "How do you know such things young one?"

"I saw in my mothers mirror last night."

"Ahhhh I understand now. What else did you see?" Thranduil asked as he sat under a tree.

"Many things." Rumil vaguly replied as he sat next to the king. "I saw my brothers, my parents, the fellowship, and you."

"Me?" Thranduil was confused. Why would the Valar show Rumil him? "What was I doing?"

"Kissing me." Rumil whispered as he stared at the ground, a faint blush creeping across his face.

Thranduil stared at Rumil dumbfounded. Had he heard correctly? "I was......kissing you?" he echoed incredulous.

Rumil nodded not looking at Thranduil, "Yes kissing and talking. Under a tree in a glade like this."

"Is that why you sought me out?" Thranduil demanded.

"No. It did not occur to me. I saw you crying and thought you need to unburden your soul. The things in the mirror are possible futures. Nothing is certain." Rumil looked up and into the king's eyes, Thranduil could see the sincerity in them.

"I apologize for my words, you just took me off guard for a moment. Believe me that dosen't happen often." Thranduil smiled at the guardian.

Rumil smiled back at Thranduil suprised at how beautiful the elf king was. It was shocking to realize that he wanted that future to happen, he wanted Thranduil to kiss him. Oh how Rumil wanted him. That in itself was startling because just a few days ago he had wanted to kill the king! Thranduil looked over at Rumil, why was he being so quiet? What was he thinking?

"How is Legolas?" Rumil inquired.

Thranduil started he had been so wrapped up in his thoughts that he had forgotten that Rumil was there.

"He will survive. Aragorn and Haldir bonded to him, he will live and love. I pray to the Valar that he will one day forgive me." Thranduil admitted, blushing slightly.

"He will." Rumil smiled at Thranduil as they lapsed into silence, enjoying the others company.
Chapter end notes: Dedication: For Denise my own personal muse. She kept me sane through the darkness I call my life. Thanks hon. :)