Beyond Dreams by Beckyboo

And he found himself looking into stormy grey ones. Unable to believe what his eyes were seeing, he just stared in shock.

"El..." He tried to speak but it came out as a hoarse whisper. His throat was parched and the words wouldn't come out. Elrond must have understood because he smiled down at him. It was only then that Erestor realised that Elrond was looking down at him and he was laid in a bed. What was going on? He moved to sit up but pain suddenly flared across his abdomen and Elrond's hands gently pushed him back down.

"Don't try to sit, you're still healing." Said Elrond taking one of Erestor's hands in his. Erestor looked at the hand that held his. Elrond's touch felt solid and his hand was warm. Was this real?

"Would you like some water?" Erestor just nodded, not believing what he was seeing and feeling. Elrond's touch felt so much more real than it had been. He watched Elrond move to the other side of the room to pour some water. Elrond placed the tumbler on the table next to the bed. He then sat on the edge of the bed and put his arm underneath Erestor's shoulders.

"Relax meleth." He urged. Erestor did his best to relax but there was still some pain as Elrond gently lifted his shoulders so he was in a semi reclining position. Elrond shifted behind him so that Erestor could lean back onto his chest. Erestor smiled happily as Elrond wrapped one of his arms around his waist to support him.

"Slow sips." Elrond whispered into Erestor's ear before bringing the tumbler to his lips. The cool water instantly soothed his throat and he soon emptied the glass. Elrond placed the tumbler back onto the table and wrapped his other arm around Erestor, who immediately nuzzled into Elrond's neck. Erestor brought his hand up to touch Elrond's arm but frustratingly, he found he lacked the strength to keep it there. Instead he dropped his arm and rested his hand on Elrond's thigh.

"Better?" Asked Elrond.

"Hmm, much." Replied Erestor. His voice still croaked but it wasn't painful to speak now. They stayed like that for several minutes, content to just be holding each other. For a moment Erestor was almost convinced Elrond was really there with him. It felt so good being held like this. He nuzzled further into Elrond's neck, breathing in deeply and sighing. Elrond felt so real. Feeling overwhelmed, he was unable to stop the tears as they began to fall.

"Erestor, what is the matter?" Asked Elrond who grew concerned when the Elf in his arms had begun to shake with sobs.

"I don't want to wake up this time. Let me stay." He said through his tears.

"Meleth, you are awake." Elrond murmured as he slowly rocked Erestor in an attempt to calm him down.

"That's what I thought before but none of it is real." Then Elrond thought he understood. Erestor had had a high fever while his body was fighting off the effects of the poison so he may have had some disturbing dreams. But why was he so upset at the thought of waking? Elrond tightened his hold on Erestor who was crying in earnest now. It was a few moments before Elrond realised Erestor was mumbling to himself.

"...not wake up...don't leave...Elrond...no...alone..." Elrond couldn't make sense of it.

"Erestor?" He whispered. "Melamin?" He had been hoping to calm Erestor down again, it had worked while he had been unconscious. He wasn't expecting Erestor to freeze in his arms and then struggle to get out.

"No!" He wailed. He wasn't going to go through this again, surely? Why was he being tormented this way? Elrond just held Erestor tighter. In his weakened state, he wasn't able to put up much of a fight. Quickly, he wore himself out and stopped struggling. However, Elrond grew anxious when Erestor trembled and whimpered in his arms.

"Tell me what ails you, melamin." Elrond coaxed. Erestor sniffed as he stopped crying.

"I don't want to wake up and for you to leave me again."

"I won't leave you," said Elrond gently. "I'm right here." He pressed his lips to the top of Erestor's hair, hoping that this would solve the problem.

"But you have." Erestor tried to move to face Elrond but as he shifted he hissed in pain. He had forgotten about the pain in his stomach. Realising his lover wanted to see him, Elrond shifted Erestor so that he was laying down again. Elrond then sat on the edge of the bed and took Erestor's hand in his.

"I don't understand." Said Elrond. Obviously something that Erestor had dreamt had upset him. Erestor's brown eyes widened in bewilderment and he looked up at Elrond; half confused, half afraid.

"Don't you know?" He whispered. Now he was definitely confused. Before, Elrond had seemed to know that they were apart.

"No. You were dreaming Erestor."

"Dreaming? When?"

"Since you were stabbed by that Orc."

"What? I wasn't! You were. You're dead. I'm dreaming again. Why can't this stop?" Erestor grew distressed again. Elrond wondered about what Erestor had dreamt to think him dead.

"Hush now. Tell me what happened." Elrond asked softly. He had to get to the bottom of this. Erestor's stress would slow down his healing.

"You were stabbed." Erestor whispered. After a moment's thought he continued. "You died. I kept hearing you and I kept thinking I was awake but you would tell me to wake up. Then I'd be somewhere else and I'd hear you again. I thought I was going mad." He paused for a second. Then, making eye contact with Elrond he admitted "I don't know if I'm awake."

Elrond reached forwards and gently stroked Erestor's cheek with his other hand. Looking into Erestor's eyes he gently explained what had happened.

"You are awake, meleth. I am alive and here with you." He paused, thinking of how was best to phrase the truth of what had happened. "You were stabbed after the fight with a poisoned blade. I thought I was going to lose you. You've been delirious, dreaming and calling out. You seemed to calm down when I spoke to you. I am so happy that you are back." Then Elrond leant over and softly pressed his lips to Erestor's. Elrond's lips were warm against his slightly chilled ones and it felt so real. He was almost sure that he was awake now but there was still a small amount of doubt in his mind. The kiss ended and Elrond gazed down into Erestor's eyes. He was troubled to see some doubt remaining.

"You're still not sure, are you?" Erestor shook his head sadly.

"So many times I thought you were but it was a dream. Now all of it is a dream and I don't know what to think."

Without another word, Elrond moved aside his shirt and placed Erestor's palm over his heart. Erestor's eyes widened.

"You're..." He was overwhelmed and his eyes filled with tears of joy as he felt Elrond's strong heartbeat through his palm.

END
Chapter end notes: A/N: So this is it. Please review.