Incarnation by Kathryn Ramage

"You won't be going anywhere," Sam regretfully told the small figure huddled in the chair; the last surge of pain had doubled Frodo over. "You can't, not now."

"I know," Frodo groaned. "I'm trapped here, just as they wanted." He lifted his head to look up at Gandalf. "I suppose you're pleased?"

"No," the wizard answered solemnly, "I'm not pleased at all."

"Never you mind, Frodo," Sam tried to comfort him. "We'll have to make the best of it. I'll look after you. I won't let anybody near that means you harm." Now that the spasm had passed, he cupped one hand under Frodo's elbow. "You ought to be in bed. Can you get up?" Frodo nodded, and Sam carefully helped him up from the chair and over to the bed. Lifting him up, however, was an effort. It was always difficult these days for Frodo to climb up onto the high-posted bed even with Sam's assistance; tonight, Frodo was unable to climb at all, and Sam had to support most of Frodo's weight himself.

"Won't you let me help?" Gandalf offered as he watched the two hobbits' struggles.

"You've done enough," Sam answered bluntly. If Frodo didn't trust Gandalf, then Sam was determined not to either. He managed to get Frodo onto the bed just as another spasm of pain seized him; Frodo cried out, and Sam scrambled up beside him.

"You brought this on!" he accused the wizard as he gathered Frodo into his arms. "You and this council of your'n--they've frighted poor Frodo into this." This wasn't entirely fair, since Gandalf had tried to make Frodo calm down, but Sam wasn't interested in fairness right now. He didn't know exactly what had happened at the citadel, except that Gandalf and those Men and Elves had frightened Frodo badly enough to make him want to fly from the city, and that was all Sam needed to know. They were all responsible for setting Frodo off, but Gandalf was the only one here he could blame. "It's come on much too soon. It's barely six months." Sam had heard of babies in the Shire occasionally being born this early--stillbirths or tiny, fragile things that didn't live more than a few hours. If this baby died, it would be the council's fault too.

"Please, Sam, don't let them harm the baby," whimpered Frodo. "Don't let them take it away from me!"

"I won't," Sam promised. He cradled Frodo, petted his hair, and placed kisses on his brow, doing whatever he could to soothe Frodo until help arrived. Although it felt disloyal to Frodo, Sam thought that, if this must happen, then it was better that it happen now instead of after they had left Minas Tirith. No matter what Frodo had said about trusting himself to their care, Sam knew very well that this was beyond his abilities to cope with, and certainly beyond Merry's or Pippin's. What could they have done for him? Frodo needed the skilled hands of a master healer or experienced midwife to see him through this. No less would do. If it hadn't been for this council today, Sam would have summoned Aragorn or Elrond to come to Frodo's aid as well; both had saved Frodo when he'd been in dire need before, but to have them here now would be even worse than Gandalf!

Between his gestures of comfort, Sam lifted his eyes from Frodo to regard Gandalf warily. What would he do if Gandalf insisted on taking Frodo's baby? Could he fight the wizard if he had to? Sam had always found Gandalf to be somewhat fearsome as a friend, and how much more so as a foe! Who knew what a wizard of such vast powers might be capable of doing when he was angry? Gandalf had hundreds of spells, fireworks, and lightning-blasts at his command. How could one little hobbit stand against that? And what if Gandalf called for Men or Elves from the citadel? Sam knew he couldn't fight off so many on his own, but he would do his best for Frodo's sake. He would defend Frodo with his own life if it came to that.

But Gandalf did not try to fight him for Frodo, nor did he leave the room, but simply stood where he was.

"Aren't you going to go tell them Elves about it?" Sam asked him.

"No, Sam," Gandalf answered. "I will stay here and wait with you. I know that you are only trying to protect Frodo. You doubt me now, as Frodo does, but I swear to you that I wish to help him. I will remain here until you believe me."

Sam didn't know what to say to this. At the sound of someone coming into the house, and a hobbit's footsteps in the corridor, he turned eagerly to the bedroom door. Was it Pippin returning with the healer at last?

No. Merry came to the door, and immediately saw what was happening. "It looks like we won't be needing the ponies after all," he said. "Can I do anything to help?"

"Mr. Pippin's gone for the healer," Sam told him. "Will you go and watch for them to come? Let them in, but see that no one else gets into the house. None of the citadel folk. No Elves."

"Not even Legolas and Gimli?"

"Not even them! We don't know as we can trust `em!" Sam insisted vehemently. "I promised Frodo I wouldn't let anybody take the baby, and that's just what I mean to do."

Merry nodded, and went to keep watch at the front door.

"Hush, my dear," Sam said to Frodo, who had curled himself into a tight ball and was sobbing and moaning, beyond all comfort. "It won't be much longer. Help'll come soon."

Sam had never seen Frodo--never seen anyone!--in such agony before. He knew little of these matters, but surely natural birth-pangs were not like this: they came and went over many hours before the baby was born, while Frodo's seemed to go on constantly since they had started, and grow worse and worse. And there was nothing Sam could do to make it stop; he could only hold his beloved close and weep with him. Would that healer never come? Sam was beginning to be afraid that Frodo might die if help did not arrive soon.

He looked up at Gandalf, who had drawn closer to the foot of the bed. Could he be trusted? Sam didn't see any other choice.

"Can you do anything for him?" he asked tearfully.

"I will try," Gandalf answered. Taking a seat on the bed beside Sam, he did what he could.