The Letter For Glorfindel by Lancelottie of Mirkwood

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Glorfindel woke up. The floor was hard. Floor? What had happened? Why was he not in his comfortable bed, beside Erestor? Glorfindel opened his eyes. He was in the Fire Hall. Had there been a party yesterday? Yes, Elrond held a farewell party for the fellowship of the Ring, that was leaving today. The wine was excellent. Legolas had brought it with him as a gift from his father, King Thranduil. The King probably had a bad conscience because his prisoner, Gollum, had escaped from the Woodland Realm. Glorfindel could not find any other explanation as to why the King had given Lord Elrond such a huge amount of his finest Dorwinion wine.


Glorfindel remembered he drank too much of the wine, and he knows he only sleeps with closed eyes when very drunk. Why was he here? He could not remember what he had done in the Fire Hall. Why was he naked? Erestor! They had been together for hundreds of years. Glorfindel relaxed; he and Erestor had sex in the Fire Hall last night. But why there? Had he been so drunk he could not walk to their sleeping chamber? How embarrassing! Glorfindel knew Erestor would make fun of him for quite a long time because of this.


The golden-haired elf dressed, and went outside. The autumn had almost passed, and the garden of Imladris had been prepared for winter. The most delicate of the roses had been dressed for winter already. Glorfindel knew that if they did not, the roses would not survive the winter, even the winter in Imladris. How frail their beauty is, Glorfindel thought. Not as me, who always will remain beautiful. Then he remembered that he, and therefore his beauty, actually had died a long time ago. He would rather not think of his little accident with the balrog anymore, and to his relief an elf came walking towards him. It was Lindir, a dark-haird young elf. Lindir handed Glorfindel a letter.


“The elf who were cleaning the guest rooms found this letter with your name on. We do not know who had stayed there. I could not ask any of your guests, because the fellowship left at dawn; you should have been there to bid them farewell. They might not survive the quest. Lord Elrond asked for you, but you were not to be found.”


Glorfindel gave Lindir a glare, and thanked for the letter. It was obvious Lindir was curious as to where Glorfindel had been, but he was too polite to ask. Glorfindel was not going to tell him anything. Lindir went away, and Glorfindel decided to sit down on a bench in the rose garden to read the letter.


My dear Glorfindel, the fairest of elves


The first time I saw you your eyes shone so brightly. More beautiful than all the mithril in Middle-earth. Your golden hair, more wonderful than gold. You smiled at me, and set my heart afire. I gave you my heart, but you didn’t understand. Because I’m just a hobbit. But now, my love, you finally know.


We met in a forest, we ended on a floor. I know my love, I shall never return. The darkness of Mordor shall seal my fate. Shadows may surround me, but there shall be sunshine in my heart. You are my sunshine, my chocolate cake, and my everlasting love. When I left the Shire, I left all comfort behind. Now I know it was all worth it. We shall never meet again. Thank you my love, and farewell.


Glorfindel was shocked. Had he made love to a hobbit? No, it was impossible. However, he had suspected Frodo found him attractive. The hobbit had often looked at him, when he thought Glorfindel did not notice. Frodo knew a lot about elves, but he seemed to have forgotten elves can sense if someone has feelings for them. Glorfindel considered himself so experienced, he could not be wrong. Many, both elves, men and dwarves had been attracted to him in the past. He liked Frodo, but if he were to cheat on Erestor, he would have preferred a bedpartner his own size. This situation was too embarrassing; the famous balrog slayer had bedded a halfling!


Anyway, he would never cheat on his beloved. Glorfindel considered the possibility the letter could be a fake. It had to be a fake! There was no signature. He did not recognize the handwriting, but could it have been Erestor who wrote it? Glorfindel knew Erestor did not approve of him drinking himself senseless. This letter could be Erestor giving him a warning, by making fun of his drinking habits. Glorfindel considered this alternative to be the most reasonable explanation. He went inside, and looked for Erestor. Glorfindel knew Erestor immediately would tell the truth, when confronted with the letter. There is no use trying to lie to an elf, the elf would understand it was a lie.


Glorfindel found his beloved black-haired Noldo in Elrond’s private library. “Erestor, I have a rather vague memory of last night. I got a letter today; do you know who wrote it?”


Grey eyes, cold as ice, looked into Glorfindel’s blue; “How should I know? Last time I saw you, you were in the Fire Hall, having a very good time with Peregrin Took!”