The Pond by HobbitGamgee

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
The day's walk had taken a lot out of both of them. They knew they were getting closer to Mordor. Frodo could feel it. He slept little; what dreams he had were filled with doom and horror. Sam could do nothing to comfort his master and that bothered him more than anything even more than what lay in front of them. They hadn't seen sun in days and they barely talked as they walked.

The sun began to set and Frodo stopped. "Camp soon."

"Yes, Mr. Frodo." Sam began to look around for a comfortable and suitable place for them to rest. His search was in vain. They walked for a few more minutes before finding a small pond.

Sam set down his bag before collapsing on top of it. He looked up as Frodo passed him and walked straight towards the pond.

The hobbit pulled his bag off his back and set it down. He groped at his clothes and stepped out of them before slipping into the moonlit water. Sam closed his eyes, respecting his master's privacy.

Time passed. The night grew colder as a sharp wind tore into the tree-covered sanctuary. Sam got up and began to fold the strewn clothes across his master's bag. "Are you hungry, Mr. Frodo? You really should eat something."

Frodo smiled. "You remember when we used to sneak off to that little pond?" His smile disappeared. "On the edge of the Shire?"

Sam looked up into the sky. The Shire. It seemed so far away.

"Yes, Mr. Frodo." He smiled. "I do."

Somewhere, a bird cawed.

"I miss the Shire, Mr. Frodo."

"So do I, Sam. So do I." Frodo ran a hand through his hair and slipped out of the water.

"I miss you, Mr. Frodo." Sam turned and handed the neatly folded clothes to him.

Frodo dressed. Sam looked up and met Frodo's blank gaze. "Didya hear me, Frodo? You're not the same you used to be so happy to be so bright. You loved life now it's like you could care less."

"Sam, you should bathe. We may not be able to find water again." Frodo closed his eyes and lay against the trunk of a tree.

Sam stood. He sighed and kicked his bag out of the way. "You know when Gandalf told me not to lose you?" Sam's eyes looked up. They were tired and red. "Well, I think I did."

Frodo opened his eyes but said nothing.




The ring was gone. Frodo tore at his shirt in disbelief. I'll find it in a minute, he thought. He jumped up and searched the dirt around him. Nothing.

"Sam! Get up! I've lost the ring!" Frodo yelled behind him, his hand feeling around in a berry bush.

No answer.

Frodo looked behind him and found nothing. Sam was gone.

"Sam!"

He couldn't breathe. He pushed his hand against his chest, expecting the ring to be there. He closed his eyes. He only heard his heartbeat, but it was so loud. He stumbled over a rock and fell.

His eyes fastened onto something moving in the water.

It was Sam.

"Sam!"

The hobbit thrashed about in the water.

"Hold on!" Frodo ran to the edge of the water.

The pond started to shimmer a strange golden tone.

Suddenly, the water turned to flame and Sam was lost in the dark iris of an eye.

"Sam!"




Frodo whimpered, rocking himself gently before moaning the name again. "Sam!"

Sam jerked awake, his hands already on his master's arm. "Mr. Frodo?" He shook the small frame gently.

Frodo's eyes snapped open, only to close again as tears rushed through them. "Oh, Sam...Sam...Sam..." He wrapped his arms around the larger hobbit. "Sam...Sam..."

"I'm here, Mr. Frodo." Sam was puzzled but held tighter. "Shhh."

"I'm sorry, Sam. It's the ring. I miss you, too...Sam...Sam..." The words rocked his body, jerking him in and out of Sam's arms.

"I know, Mr. Frodo. Shhhh..."

Water lapped gently on the bank of the pond.