The Ugly Elfling by Milly

About the twins: The princes of Imladris were born in the 130. year of the third age, 21 years after the wedding of their parents. Both of them are [for those of you who didn't know it yet] sons of Elrond Peredhil [Halfelven], the founder of Rivendell, bearer of Vilya, the mightiest of the three Elven Rings and Celebrían, daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel ò Lothlórien. They're the older brothers of Arwen (111 years older ;) 1)) and brothers-in-law to Aragorn, also his forster brothers and connceted to him by blood for one of his ancestors a few millenia years ago was Elros Tar-Minyatur, brother of Elrond.
2) In the books they're known for saving their mother after she was attacked and tortued by orcs and bringing her home to Rivendell. She departed to Grey Havens a year later though
3) and the Twins started hunting Orcs, usually seen together and clad alike.
4) It is also known that they've been riding with the rangers of the North.
5) Aragorn seems quite fond of them, for he seems to think that their news are more important than meeting his fiancee.
6) Legolas seems to like them as well, describing them as fair and gallant like Elven-Lords.
7) They are accompaning the Rangers of the North when those go to help Aragorn in The Passing of the Grey Company, for they desire to go to war and bring their father's council.
8) Later on they meet Arwen who set out from Lorien and go to Endoras with her where she marries Aragorn.
9) Sadly I still didn't find really sure informations whether they go with Elrond or stay with Arwen. I read that Celeborn is staying with them after Galadriel's passing and Elrond's children have to leave with him if they want to go to Grey Heavens. But on the other hand I heard that Arwen is the last elf that stays in Middle-Earth after Legolas left with Gimli when Aragorn had died. I hope that they went to Grey Havens and so I'll believe that, please mail me if you found any sure notes about it. ;)

1) 109 - Elrond weds Celebrían, daughter of Celeborn
130 - Birth of Elladan and Elrohir, Sons of Elrond
241- Birth of Arwen Undómiel (1122, Appendix B)
2) (Familiy Tree, Page 496, The Silmarillion)
3) "In 2509 Celebrían wife of Elrond was journeying to Lorien when she was waylaid in Redhorn Pass, and her escort being scattered by the sudden assault of the Orcs, she was seized and carried off. She was pursued and resued by Elladan and Elrohir but not before she had suffered torment and had received a poisoned wound. She was brought back to Imladris, and though healed in body by Elrond, lost all delight in Middle-earth and, next year went the Havens and passed over Sea." (1080, Appendix A)
4) "So much alike they were, the sons of Elrond that few could tell them apart, dark-haired, grey-eyed, and their faces elven fair, clad alike in bright mail beneath cloaks of silver-grey." (P. 809, ROK)
5) "But her [Arwen's] brothers, Elladan and Elrohir, were out upon errantry: for they rode often with the Rangers of the North, forgetting never their mother's torment in the dens of the orcs." (243, Many Meetings)
6) "'Where have you been my friend? Why weren't you at the feast? The lady Arwen was there.' Strider looked down at Bilbo gravely. 'I know,' he said, 'But often I must put mirth aside. Elladan and Elrohir have returned out of the wild unlooked for, and they have tidings that I wished to hear at once.' " (249, Many Meetings).
7) "[Talking about the "newcomers", the rangers of the North] 'But even as Aragorn they are courteous, if they break their silence,' said Legolas. 'And have you marked the brethren Elladan and Elrohir? Less sombre is their gear than the others', and they are fair and gallant as Elven-lords; and that is not to be wondered at in the sons of Elrond of Rivendell.' "
8) [Halbarad speaking:] " 'That is all of our kindred that could be gathered in hase; but the brethren Elladan and Elrohir have ridden with us, desiring to go to war.' (806, ROK); "Then said Elrohir: 'From the North we came with this purpose and from Elrond our father we brought this very council. We will not turn back.' "
9) "3019, June 14 The sons of Elrond meet the escort and bring Arwen to Edoras." (1132, Appendix B); also: "Upon the very Eve of Midsummer, when the sky was blue as sapphire and white stars opened in the East, but the West was still golden and the air was cool and fragrant, the riders came down the Northway to the gates of Minas Tirith. First rode Elrohir and Elladan (!) with a banner of silver, and then came Glorfindel and Erestor and all the household of Rivendell, and after them came the Lady Galadriel and Celeborn, Lord of Lothlórien, riding upon white steeds and with them may fair folk of their land, grey-cloaked with white gems in their hair; and last came Master Elrond, mighty among Elves and Men, bearing the sceptre of Annúminas, and beside him upon a grey palfrey rode Arwen his daughter, Evenstar of her people. (1008-1009, ROK)

All quotes are from Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. [Yes I know, I wrote something about the Silmarillion, but I did not quote it.]

These are the most important notes I found about them. There're more, but I thought it would be too much to type all of them. The last one is the only note I found that mentions Elrohir before Elladan that's why I assumed that Elir is the younger twin.

Um... the names I just had to use. I like calling them Elir and Elan/Adan for I just love nicks. El was necessary for I still wasn't sure which twin was lost back then and didn't wish to change when I chose. They're cheekier and happier than they should be I guess, but I hope you'll be able to live with it.

The characters: I do not like the humans in LOTR too much. As most of us I like Aragorn, but that's it about humans. I had to make sure that at least a few other races apart from elves would show up for a bit though for I needed their help in not knowing that someone like Elrohir IS beautiful (Mae, blind they are the humans... ;) and foolish too, not noticing that they found an adult, hurt elf and not a stupid human child...). To those of you that feel offended about the way I've shown them I apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone with this story. Neither the ones that don't like slash nor the ones that hate Incest. Those could have been warned though and you were not, that's why I was careful not to make them look to bad by raping [okay, okay I would never have done that to him] my poor little Elrohir or something. The reaction of Elladan and the other elves towards them is slightly overplayed. But Elves think that men are weak and clumsy as far as I know and they act a little arrogant towards them. Anborn and Talon (the only ones mentioned by name) are made up as well. Anborn was named after a character that actually rode with the Rohan a few hundred years later, but I was just searching for a good sounding name for a Rohan-leader, there's no real reason in it.

The Elves... I presumed that there are more elves in Rivendell than just Elrond, his wife, his children and his advisors. Don't kill me for mentioning them though they were not needed.

Elrond: I really like Elrond. He's surely one of the wisest, prettiest and mightiest chars in LOTR and he's the father of my favourite characters. I pity not being better at showing him than I am, but well.. I'm sorry about that with all of my characters...

Celebrían I had to protect against all those that make her look bad so often in the Elrond/whoever stories. It's not like I don't like those stories, but I feel sorry for her though. I presume she was a loving and kind elf and even if she wasn't it won't hurt if she's once or twice mentioned as a neither wicked nor violent woman who loved her husband and her children. Glorfindel&Erestor: Apart from being one of my personel favourite slash-couples I was really sorry about their roles in the movies. I fear they're not really the mentors of the twins, but it would be possible in case they had the time. Being older and wiser than most of the other (I do not think that Elrond had the time to teach them) Elves in Rivendell they would have been a good choice. I know that they're not as childish as they're in my story... but... oh well it was so much fun to write 'em like that. As so many people before me mentioned I do not like it if characters disspear or get killed in the movies. I know and understand that it would be too much to do all of it like it was done in the books, I presume it might have been boring as well. But like so many of us I missed Glory a lot and was terribly sad about Haldir's death.

That's why Arwen didn't appear in this story. I like her but I had to take my own little revenge for stealing Glory's part, some of his lines and his horse. I presume she was out and visited her grandparents in Lórien. Other characters you might have missed usually didn't appear 'cause they weren't born at the time the story takes part (ca. 993 of the third age) or I didn't suppose them to dwell in Rivendell.

Begetting day: I did NOT make that up myself, I read about it. It is said that elves do not celebrate the day they were born but the day they were begotten. I thought that was strange, that's why I made Anborn (being human as we are) mention that. I've been thinking whether the twins, having a half-elven father might celebrate their birthdays or both, but being immortal and 3/4 elven I guess it is more logical to celebrate the elven way.

As for the begetting and bearing of children: a year passes between the begetting and the birth of an elf-child, so that the days of both are the same or nearly so, and it is the day of begetting that is remembered year by year. For the most part these days come in spring. (http://beautifulangel.aniron.net/elf/elf-tra.htm)

Elvish: I had two reasons not to use more Elven words in this story: 1. I do not know many words and just took those I thought I remembered correctly. 2. I know that even the best stories I had got slightly difficult to read if there was too much elvish in them. The vocabulary I used are from other stories [esp. Anestel by Esteliel which, whatever YOU might think to me is the most brilliant LOTR-fan fiction I know, in case you wish to read it please heed the warnings http://www.loes-valthen.de.vu/], the books and an elven online dictionary I learned to like a lot during the last months. (http://www.dragons-inn.org/Ifreann/Tynntangial/eng_elf.html)

The ugly duckling: My plot is slightly based on the fairy tale "The ugly Duckling" by Hans Christian Andersen.

For those of you who didn't read/hear it or don't remember it: It's a tale about a little duckling that is taller then his siblings and looks strange to them. They tease him and even his mothers gets impatient with him after a while. He runs away and meets wild ducks that tell him that he's ugly as well. He stays with them for a bit though but they're shot soon. So he leaves and passes a few more adventures. To cut it short here, he sees some swans later and decides to fly to those royal birds so they would kill him for daring to approach them. But when he tells them to do so and bows to the water to await death he sees that he's a swan just like them and children come to feed the swans and say that he's the most beautiful of all of them. (http://hca.gilead.org.il/ugly_duc.html)

For those of you that read/heard the tale and do remember it: Mae, I know there're some "mistakes" in it. But luckily I wasn't TOLD to write a fairy tale just like Andersen's. I only thought about it while writing my story as it used to be my fav when I was about 3 years old and I had been reading it to a child a few days ago. I know that the little duckling is skillful enough to swim and that is was wrong to call it "the little elfling" as Elir is an Elf and I should have called it the little humanling or taken another main character. But humanling or menling would sound pretty strange to my ears and taking a human would have been impossible for I see no way that any human could be more beautiful than the elves in the end. Also I think that I read that Elves are taller than men and... it just had to be Elrohir for in MY imagination he's the prettiest of his kind. I didn't wish to kill all the Rohan for it's some kind of personal apology for not liking them that they're allowed to take care of Elrohir for a bit. Killing all of them would have been too evil so I decided that most of them had to go for as far as I remember it all wild ducks died...

One more thing: I'd really love to get some feedback. I don't care whether it's good or bad, but I'd like to hear if someone at least read this story. It took me some time to dare to post something I wrote. I hope you heeded my warning and did not read it to be offended by Elrohir and Elladan. I know my notes are pretty long, but as I said it's the first story (we're not talking about adding something to another story, are we?) I am posting and I hope that people will not be as offended if I try to explain it.