Shaving by Joy

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: I'm using the "shaving" plot bunny here. No beta, because I couldn't wait that long. It's also been 24 hours since I saw the movie, so I'm allowed to write this. o^_^o
The sharp tang of soap filled the air, coupled with pine smoke in a clear-skied, slightly chilly morning. The camp was still sleeping soundly, small grunts and rustling muffled by tent fabric. A river's song gurgled nearby, whistling around rocks and rushing through leafy boughs that dipped into the water. A soft voice murmured sleepily from the stream bank, blending with the river.

"What's that?" a deeper, but still hushed voice asked, not at all startled by the sudden breaking of silence.

"I asked you why we were up so early to bathe." The voice broke near the end in a yawn.

"In Elvish. You asked me in Elvish."

"I didn't know you weren't an Elf. You seem to spend all your time among them."

"Don't arouse a Dwarf's anger so early in the morning."

The birds began to twitter, covering the conversation from all but the most perceptive of ears.

"No wonder you bathe so much! All this hair! Are you sure I'm only shaving your beard?"

Water arched across the stream in a carefully aimed splash to nail the pale Elf in the face. He laughed gaily, and dived into the water, gliding underwater to grab the Dwarf's legs and tug him down.

Together, they stood, water flowing off their bodies, and holding each other by the elbows. They were staring at each other, their faces blank, but smiles carved deeply into their eyes.

"Soap. Blade. Dwarf. Elf."

"If you cut me, I will claim your blood in return."

Derisive giggles followed this oath.

"You're only trimming, mind you."

Gimli's face eased into a more relaxed pose as Legolas carefully drew the blade over his skin. It wasn't that he honestly believed he would be cut, after all, Legolas had been doing this for years now. More or less, it was a contented look. They hardly ever got time to be secretive and forbidden anymore. The entire wood of Ithilien expected it of them to be public and outspoken about their companionship.

Legolas finished, rinsing Gimli's face with water from his palms, and slowly drew his thumb over the freshly-shaved skin. "Perfect," he announced.