Love is Never at First Sight by Danielle Elenauial

"Come in," said Legolas as he scooted away from Aragorn on the bed and adjusted his shirt, so it was buttoned up again. The door opened and in stepped another elf.

It was a male elf who slightly resembled Legolas, but his facial features were slightly different. He had the same blonde hair, blue eyes but his cheekbones were slightly higher and his nose was faintly bigger than Legolas's. His figure was similar too, but he was a little bit smaller.

"Hello, Maltalas," said Legolas happily. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm looking for you." said the smaller elf said. "Father said you had a visitor and I was curious of who it was."

"Oh yes, you haven't met yet!" exclaimed Legolas happily. Aragorn began to wonder why Legolas was so happy to see the other elf. Could it be that...no, Aragorn didn't want to think about that.

"Maltalas," Legolas said, "This is my friend, Aragorn II, the uncrowned king of Gondor. He is Estel, the one I have been telling you so much about."

"And Aragorn, this is Maltalas Goldenleaf, a prince of Mirkwood and my younger brother," finished Legolas.

Aragorn's fears were instantly swept away. Legolas and Maltalas were close only because they were brothers. He chuckled to himself. No wonder they looked so similar. He felt stupid for ever considering that he considered the other elf as competition for Legolas's affection.

"Mae govannen," said Maltalas smiling, "I have heard so much about you, Estel. It is a pleasure to finally put a face to all the wonderful stories I have heard from Legolas. You are Isildur's heir? And the heir to the throne of Gondor? He didn't mention that. Impressive."

"Yes, I am...but I only found this out a few days ago and have only just told him now." Aragorn said, smiling back. He wished Legolas found his nobility as fascinating as Maltalas did.

"We should have a feast tonight, in your honor, Estel!" Legolas exclaimed like a child, in his excitement.

Maltalas nodded enthusiastically in agreement and said, "I will go purpose the idea to Father." And then to Aragorn he said, "Our Father, will want to meet you. He has wanted to ever since Legolas returned from Imaldris all those years ago and wouldn't talk about anything besides you."

Aragorn blushed as Maltalas turned around and headed out the door. Then he looked up and turned to face Legolas. "Legolas," he said nervously, "I can't meet your father!!!"

"Why not?" Legolas asked curiously, "He will not figure out about...us."

"Your father is King Thranduil...the elf king of Mirkwood!" Aragorn said in nervous desperation.

Legolas smiled, "And you are Aragorn the second, heir to the throne of Gondor. He should be nervous about meeting you." With that, he sat back down on the bed.

Aragorn sat down next to Legolas and stared blankly down at his hands folded in his lap. "Stop worrying," said Legolas soothingly. "He's going to love you."

Then Legolas reached over and placed one of his own hands on top of Aragorn's and leaned his head on one of Aragorn's shoulders. Aragorn looked up and stared into Legolas's eyes. Legolas smiled and climbed into Aragorn's lap.

Aragorn chuckled softly to himself and wrapped his arms around Legolas's waist, pulling the elf closer to him. Aragorn was in heaven. Legolas's back was pleasantly warm as it pressed up against the front of his body and his shiny golden hair was soft as it occasionally rubbed against his cheek.

Aragorn first rested his head on Legolas's shoulder, which he found enjoyable, but he was becoming far too aroused to not take advantage of having the elf on his lap. He leaned forward and gently licked the pointed tip of Legolas's ear.

To Aragorn's surprise, Legolas gave a soft moan as Aragorn's tongue continued to drag along the elf's ear. Aragorn stopped and whispered, "I didn't think your ears were that sensitive."

"They're not," murmured Legolas, "It's you."

Aragorn couldn't believe what he had just heard. Hoping that Legolas hadn't been lying, Aragorn leaned his head down and continued on Legolas's ear.

"Stop it with the ear already!" complained Legolas through his soft whimpers of pleasure. "Move onto somewhere else!"

"I thought you were worried about your father finding out." Aragorn whispered. "He's going to hear you if you keep making those lovely sounds."

"Good point," said Legolas, "We'd better stop...Maltalas will be coming back soon...."

"What if I don't want to stop?" asked Aragorn aggressively.

Legolas smiled, "I don't want to stop either...but I don't know if my father will be okay with this or not."

"I understand," replied Aragorn, though he couldn't stand the fact that he had waited this long, not knowing if Legolas desired him back and when that he found out that Legolas did lust for him, they were not allowed to do anything about it.

There was a sudden knock at the door, and Legolas climbed out of Aragorn's lap as quickly as possible before he shouted, "You can come in!"

Aragorn found that he missed the heat of Legolas's body against him as the door opened and in stepped Maltalas. Aragorn wondered how Maltalas could be related to Legolas. True, they looked somewhat similar, but Maltalas looked like every other Mirkwood elf in the forest, he was nothing of the exception beauty that Legolas was.

All elves, thought Aragorn, are beautiful. Even the dullest of elves could surpass most humans. But Legolas...he was a jewel even among the elves. Aragorn smiled. And this jewel lusted for him of all people.

"Father said we can have a feast," said Maltalas happily, "Though he wasn't quite convinced that you were the King of Gondor. He was almost certain that Isildur's line had all died out. He also wishes to know what foods are your favorites, for he wants to make it enjoyable for you."

"Thank your king for his gracious welcome," said Aragorn, "And tell him whatever foods he wishes to have prepared will be fine."

Maltalas sighed, "Once again, I have to be the messenger!" he said, but then he grinned. "But I don't mind, there promises to be plenty of Elvish wine at this feast."

"Not again." griped Legolas, rolling his eyes.

Maltalas just gave a little chuckle at his brother's reaction while Aragorn curiously asked, "What? What are you talking about?"

"Maltalas likes to encourage the young female elves to get drunk. He's quite the trouble maker around here. How many female elves have you gotten pregnant while you were both drunk again??" Legolas asked.

Legolas's brother smiled and began counting on his fingers. "Only three," he replied as innocently as he could.

"What are you talking about?? You've impregnated more than three elves!" argued Legolas.

"I know that, but you asked how many I impregnated while we were both drunk."

Legolas just groaned in disgust and rolled his eyes.

Maltalas grinned mischievously at Aragorn and gave a little bow saying, "The Mirkwood Havoc Wreaker at your service." After that he turned to Legolas and said, "It's not my fault, I have a very hard time stopping myself. Female elves are quite fun when they are drunk! Of course they are quite nice sober too, but you aren't even interested then."

"What are you talking about?" asked Aragorn.

"Legolas has at least a dozen women following his around everywhere. But he is always turning them away. He's old enough to be married, but I don't think he's ever even kissed anyone." Maltalas announced.

"That's because I'm not interested in them," Legolas said smoothly, "And you're wrong, I have kissed one person."

First Aragorn looked up in shock. And then he realized who that one person was. It was him.

"That's it?" Maltalas said in disbelief, "You are two thousand years old and in all that time, you manage to get kissed once." Maltalas shook his head.

"Why are we talking about my love life in the first place," Legolas questioned his voice suggesting that his brother's teasing was beginning to get on his nerves.

Maltalas just smiled and laughed once again, "I have no idea. I will go tell my father what you said, Aragorn, and then maybe the three of us could fence. I would love to see if you are as excellent with a sword as Legolas claims you are."

With that, Maltalas turned and waltzed out of the room. Aragorn turned to Legolas and asked, "How many things have you told them about me?"

Legolas smiled, "A lot. You are fascinating, Estel." Aragorn was about to say something in response, when Legolas climbed onto his lap again. Only this time, Legolas was sitting so he was facing Aragorn. Slowly, Legolas leaned forward and pressed his lips against Estel's.

Aragorn pulled away, asking, "Rwalear, what if someone comes? Aren't you still worried about them finding out?"

Legolas whispered, "Let them see, for I have waited for this way too long." With that, he crushed his mouth against Aragorn once more.

Suddenly, Legolas pulled his head away again. "You're right, I am too worried about what my family would think," he whispered as he pulled himself off Aragorn's lap, his movements slow with regret.

Legolas got up and walked across the room and sat down in a chair a little ways away from the bed.

"What is it?" asked Aragorn, for Legolas's eyes were dark with sorrow.

"I am letting lust control my life," answered the blonde prince. "That is why I avoided you all those years. I knew this would happen."

But inside, Legolas's emotions were even more conflicting. Because inside, he was sure that he loved Aragorn but he wasn't sure what to do about it. Having Aragorn lust after him was one thing, for there were many people who desired him, but to have Aragorn truly love him back...

It wouldn't happen, he finally decided. There was too much of a commitment to love. You had to care about the person with every shred of your being and you had to be ready to give your life for them in a second. Legolas knew that he would be more than willing to any of that for Aragorn and he realized that he was more than willing to spend his life at Aragorn's side.

All these emotions were crowding his insides, while outside it just looked like Legolas didn't know whether to give into his desire or not.

Across the room, Aragorn was heart-broken by that fact. Sure, he was happy that Legolas desired him, but how he wished it meant something more...

For a long time, he had been starting to realize the depth of emotion between him and Legolas. Normal friends weren't as close as they were. He wanted to spend eternity with Legolas and Legolas alone. And now he knew that this emotion that filled him was love.

Aragorn knew that he loved Legolas and the he wanted to stay at the elf's side until the end of his days. He loved Legolas inside and out, and he loved everything about him. It would have been perfect...if only Legolas felt the same...but he didn't. And that was the part that broke his heart.

"Maybe we should keep apart again." said Aragorn slowly, wondering if Legolas could hear his heart being ripped apart from where the elf sat across the room.

Legolas was shocked at what Estel said, it was clear on his face, but he seemed to take it as a sign that the man didn't want to be with him anymore. "You're right," Legolas said, "We can't continue like this forever."

Aragorn felt like crying. He felt like dashing across the room, taking Legolas in his arms and screaming, "I love you!!! I want to wake up every morning to find you lying in my arms! Do you love me back??" But all he said was, "So we should part and try to not think about each other?"

Aragorn was only half serious, but Legolas's response lit the already broken pieces of his heart up in flames. Quietly, the elf whispered, "Yes."

Aragorn could feel tears welling in his eyes, but he bit his lip and held them back. Trying to use humor to reveal his sorrow, he joked, "This scenario is familiar...It sounds like what happened when we were enemies. We had a feast in your honor, and then you left the next day. Only this time it's me, and it's not because we can't get along."

Legolas smiled gently, but his smile could not cover up that he was hurt as well. "We can tell my father that you only meant to say long enough to tell me the news of your ancestry and you will be leaving after the feast."