Love is Never at First Sight by Danielle Elenauial

Years flew by, and this time, Estel often thought of Legolas. He continued to dream about the elf, imagining and fantasizing, but that was not all he thought about. He missed what was inside Legolas as well as what was outside. He missed their long conversations, and the times they had just stood together silently, watching the sunset. He missed spending time with his friend even more than he missed the sight of the elf's lovely face.

He was no longer fifteen, and so the thoughts that filled his mind were no longer clouded with the distraction of his desires. He knew that what he felt for Legolas was something more than friendship, and definitely more than lust. And in the long hours he spent thinking of Legolas, he tried to work up the strength to able to call these feelings love.

Sometimes the absence of Legolas was an unbearable pain to Estel, and he frequently found himself wandering to keep his mind distracted.

When he was twenty, he returned to the House of Elrond from one such wandering. His foster father was amazed at how grown up Estel had become and he revealed his son's true identity to him.

"You are Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Isildur's heir and the heir to the throne of Gondor," Elrond told him.

This made Estel immensely happy. He finally felt that he was someone of importance, and maybe he could begin to measure up to the greatness of his best friend and heart's desire, Legolas. He left Rivendell the next day, full of hope and anticipation.

He missed Legolas so much that he could not wait another year to see him again. Aragorn was also eager to reveal his newly found lineage to the elf prince, in a hope to impress him. Aragorn's head was so full of fondness toward that certain blonde, male elf, that he did not notice when he passed a lovely dark-haired female one while he was walking through the forest.




Legolas was lonely in the forests of Mirkwood. There were plenty of beautiful female elves around, but he felt nothing toward them. In fact, Legolas was annoyed every time one of these elves tried to hit on him. He had grown up now, and beauty was not all that matter to him. He knew that when you felt for someone, their looks should matter significantly little compared to your love for the beauty of their heart. Even after four years, he dreamed only of his friend, Estel.

He often wondered if Estel thought of him. Legolas had grown up since the last time he had seen his friend and he was beginning to puzzle out the emotions that he felt for the other man. Lust, he recognized and was familiar with. Same with friendship. Legolas knew that he felt lust and friendship toward Estel, but he recognized there was something deeper to, only he could not find out what it was.

Legolas felt so strongly for his best friend that he never even bothered to talk to all the pretty elves that looked longingly his way and as he grew into an adult, he still thought of no one other than Estel.

So as day by day went by, he lived in his own personal misery of pent-up lust and a possibility of love that he could never carry out. For four years he lived in this heartache, until one day, a knock sounded on his door that changed everything.




Legolas had just finished getting dressed a little earlier than usual, when the sound of someone rapping on his door echoed in his elven ears. Thinking it was another one of those flirtatious female elves who would give anything to catch him without his shirt on, Legolas answered, "Come in," with a hint of disgust in his voice.

But the person at the door was not another annoying, she-elf, but a male human. He was tall, with dark brown hair hanging just to his chin. He was incredibly muscular and his blue-gray eyes fit his handsome face perfectly.

Legolas's heart stopped beating and stood still in his chest. He began to tremble with excitement and without warning; he leapt and wrapped his arms around the man's neck, pulling the human's body close to his own.

"Estel!" Legolas exclaimed in his excitement.

Estel was startled at first, but after the initial shock, he smiled and pulled Legolas closer to him. Legolas sighed. The man smelled wonderful. But Legolas had to pull himself away or he would never be able to let go again.

"It is so good to see you again, Estel!" Legolas smiled and then asked, "Why are you here?"

"It is wonderful to see you again too, Legolas. Four years has been way too long. You have never came and visited Rivendell, so I decided to come and see you," Aragorn said. "Plus, there is something I wish to tell you."

Legolas looked startled, "What is it??!?"

Aragorn chuckled, "It's nothing to worry about! It is about who I am. I just recently found out that Estel is not my true name after all." began Aragorn as he sat down next to Legolas on the prince's bed, beginning the tale of his true identity that he had just discovered only a few days before.

At the end of his tale, Legolas was silent. Then he smiled and said, "I know it is a difficult decision, but I think you should become the king of Gondor, Aragorn. You would make an excellent leader. You are an outstanding warrior, and you are also noble, kind, brilliant..."

Suddenly Legolas stopped and started blushing, as if he had just realized what words were coming out of his mouth. The two were both silent for a moment, for they were both equally embarrassed to look at each other.

"Legolas?" Aragorn asked suddenly, almost curiously, but there was a hint of something else in his voice.

"Yes Estel?" the elf replied eagerly, his head perked up in interest, the embarrassment gone from his face.

"You...you..." Aragorn started, but then he seemed to not find the strength to continue. "You...have changed a lot since we first met."

"Indeed I have," Legolas replied. "And so have you. But what is your point?"

"We used to be enemies," chuckled Estel. "And now we get along better than we ever dreamed we would."

"Ah...dreams," Legolas whispered, his eyes leaving Estel's and staring out into nothing, "Do you speak of the dreams that wander aimlessly around our head while we rest for the night or the dreams that wander or heart, pulling at us with their temptation? Dreams of something that we deem impossible, dreams of something that we cannot have, dreams that haunt the soul with the confusion of their very presence?"

"What are you talking about?" Aragorn asked, genuinely confused.

"I speak of a dream that haunts me every night and every day. I cannot escape it, yet I cannot make it to come true," Legolas replied his eyes dark and blank, no longer happy, but sad and almost depressed.

"What is the matter? What is this dream you speak of?" Aragorn asked worriedly, surprised by Legolas's change of mood.

"Let us just say, that I dream of something I cannot have," Legolas replied bitterly, again turning his head from the man's gaze.

"And what would that be?" Aragorn asked gently, his voice suggesting that he knew more than he said as he subtly scooted closer to the elf. Legolas turned his head and looked into Aragorn's eyes once more.

"If you do not know, I do not wish to say," Legolas said and turned away once again.

"I think I know of what you speak of, Legolas," Aragorn leaned in and whispered directly in Legolas's ear, "And it haunts my dreams too."

Legolas shivered lightly and closed his eyes for a split second. But the moment Aragorn drew away, he argued, "You have no idea what I wish."

But Aragorn simply scooted closer again and whispered, "Legolas, look at me. I think I know what you desire, and I believe that you can have it if you wish."

Legolas slowly turned his head to face Estel and the man reached out his hand to touch Legolas's face. He gently placed one finger on the elf's fair face and ran it from his cheek down to his chin.

Legolas gave an involuntary shudder and closed his eyes. Aragorn put his hand under Legolas's chin and raised the elf's face up to meet his. "Look at me," he whispered.

"Isn't this what you desire?" Aragorn whispered again as he pulled Legolas's face toward him. The elf leaned in and closed his eyes and muttered a little, "Yes," before Aragorn's lips touched his own.

Legolas felt his heart skip a beat. He had imagined this moment for so long, yet now, when it was coming true, it was even more wonderful than he could have possibly dreamed As his mouth continued to rub against Aragorn's lips, his arms wrapped themselves around the man's neck. As they continued kissing, their mouths opened up and tongues intertwined. Legolas moaned softly as Aragorn wrapped his hands around Legolas's waist and pulled the elf closer to him until he was almost on his lap.

They continued to kiss, their kisses becoming more and more passionate and more and more demanding. Finally, they pulled apart, both completely breathless.

"Aragorn..." Legolas started gently, still gasping for breath. "That was...that was...you...you...you...kissed me!"

"And you kissed back." murmured Aragorn, his eyes still hazy with pleasure.

"Yes, yes I did." said Legolas slyly, "And do you know why? It is because I have been longing to do that for a long time, Aragorn."

"Really?" asked the man, looking surprised, "I have always been dreaming about you, but I never dreamed you felt the same way too."

"Well, I do Estel," Legolas said with a seductive grin on his face, "I have desired you for quite some time now. And my heart feels a whole lot lighter now that these dreams of mine are beginning to come true."

"You're right, Legolas," said Aragorn slyly, "This is only the beginning." And with that, he gently pushed Legolas back onto the bed and began unbuttoning the elf's shirt.

First Legolas grinned and began to help Aragorn. Then suddenly he stopped.

"Aragorn, wait!" Legolas whispered desperately.

Aragorn looked up, truly dismayed, "What is it?"

"What if my father or Lord Elrond finds out about this? What would they say?" asked Legolas.

Aragorn looked away in shame. Legolas had a point. Aragorn sighed, afraid to look at the elf. Legolas felt his insides crumble at the site of Aragorn's dismay. He didn't want to deny the man anything, nor did he want to turn away from his own desires.

Sitting up slowly, Legolas reached out and gently brushed Aragorn's hand that was resting on the bed. When Aragorn looked his direction, Legolas whispered, "Maybe another time?" This caused Aragorn to smile, and he started to say something when there was a loud knock at the door.