Who Is Killing the Brandybucks? by Kathryn Ramage

When Frodo left Amarilla's smial, he went down the hill to the Buckle's Notch, where he and Pippin had agreed to meet when they'd finished their respective inquiries. It was still early and there were only a few people within the pub: Darco Underhaye was at the bar, scowling into a half-empty mug of ale, and Pippin was sitting at a table with Marleduc.

"Have you been here all this time, Pippin?" Frodo asked him, half-teasing.

"Actually, I've been all over the place," his Took cousin answered cheerfully. "I ran into Marly in the street just a few minutes ago, and we thought we'd come in and share an ale. We're waiting for his brother, who Marly here say he's expecting to come along any minute, only Eli hasn't shown up yet. Join us, Frodo?"

Frodo took the hint. "No, thank you. I'd only be in the way." Since Marleduc had become wary of him after the assault on Ilbie, Frodo knew that Pippin would have more luck talking to the two brothers if he weren't there.

But Marly said, "Why don't you come have a half-pint with us later, Frodo? We might have a surprise for you when Eli gets here."

This invitation was surprise enough. "What is it?" asked Frodo. "What're you up to?"

Marleduc grinned. "I can't tell you, but I promise once you hear it, you won't suspect us anymore."

Instead of leaving the pub, Frodo retreated to the bar to wait for Eliduc's arrival and the 'surprise.' Darco looked up from his empty mug as the younger hobbit approached. "I'm surprised you're still in Bucklebury, Mr. Underhaye," Frodo ventured into conversation after he'd ordered an ale for himself.

"My business here is finished, but I admit it--I'm staying on in part because I'm curious to see how this investigation of yours turns out," answered Darco. His voice wasn't slurred, but there was a strange emphasis to some of his words and a brightness in his eyes that suggested the ale before him was not his first of the day. "I'd like to see what your prying brings to light this time, Mr. Baggins. Any luck so far? No arrests made yet?"

"No," said Frodo. "I do try to be careful and make no accusation before I'm quite sure I've found the guilty party. I'm still asking questions at this point."

"Asking questions of Amarilla?" Darco shot back. "I saw you go into her house not an hour ago."

"It was a social call," Frodo replied. "She's a friend of my girl-cousins, as you know."

"Not a suspect? Didn't Master Meriadoc tell you what I told him?"

"Yes, he did."

"Then you know that I can't account for my cousin's whereabouts after we parted the evening after the funeral, and I can't say at all where she was when Merimas was killed. Granted, that's no proof of anything, but given what's known of her friendship with the young widow, surely it's enough to make a famous investigator such as yourself a bit suspicious?"

"Yes, it was at first," Frodo answered calmly, "but it's since been proved that Miss Underhaye could have nothing to do with the assault upon my cousin Ilbie. Everyone at the party, even you, is cleared of that suspicion by Ilbie himself."

"Really?" Darco looked interested. "I've heard he's recovered his senses. What did he say?"

Frodo told him about the person Ilbie had seen in the yard of the empty cottage.

"That much relieves me," said Darco, "to know I'm not suspected, nor Amarilla. I was alarmed for her. When you called upon her this afternoon, I was tempted to go in and defend her honor, but Rilla looked so pleased to see you, I hated to interrupt your intimate chat."

Frodo was startled, and somewhat amused, by the jealous tone of Darco's remarks. "Don't be absurd, Mr. Underhaye! Your cousin has no romantic interest in me, and I've no such intentions toward her or any other lady."

"No?" Darco looked doubtful.

"No. Haven't you heard? There's gossip all around town about it. The Master of the Hall and I have more in common than Brandybuck blood."

Darco's eyes widened. "Is it so? Yes, I've heard the gossip, in this very room, but they tell so many tales about young Master Meriadoc and other lads, including those two over there." He nodded and lifted his refilled mug to indicate Pippin and Marly. "I can hardly believe everything that's said about him. But if you say it's true for yourself..." He sipped his ale, then laughed. "Does Rilla know?"

"She's heard the same gossip you have," Frodo answered.

His companion seemed satisfied with these answers, but after what Amarilla had said to him, Frodo doubted that Darco's chances of winning the lady were improved by the absence of a rival. That part of their conversation was none of Darco's business; however, there was another part he wanted to discuss.

"When I called upon Miss Underhaye, we talked about my cousins, Mentha and Berry," he said. "You and Berry were good friends, weren't you?"

"Not 'good friends' in your way, but yes. He used to come up to Top Hay in the north of Buckland, where my family lives, and we'd go to the races or gaming at that little pub by the river together, have a bit of fun with a pretty barmaid or two." Darco took another sip of his ale. "I do miss him. He was a lively lad, if only he weren't so afraid his father and the rest of the Brandybucks would find out about it. It's well known to them now."

"That's all my fault," said Frodo, trying to draw Darco out, "and Melilot's too? If she hadn't told Uncle Saradoc what happened at the river that day, Berry's reputation as a respectable hobbit might remain intact."

"Indeed," Darco agreed. "The lovely Melilot and her rock-throwing talents. Why couldn't she simply slap his face or shove him into the water like any other well-brought-up miss who didn't like to be kissed? Give poor Berry a fighting chance."

"And there's Celie," Frodo prompted.

"What about her?"

"Don't you think she bears some responsibility too? She was the one who liked kissing with Berry."

"No," answered Darco. "That is, not that she didn't like the kissing--Berry used to tell me she did, very much. I meant that he'd gotten over her by then. The last time I saw him, he said it wouldn't be decent of him to go about with a married girl, not to mention another cousin's wife. There was too much possibility for scandal in it. He'd turned his attentions to Miss Mentha for respectability, but there were so many pretty girls at Brandy Hall. Berry always used to tell me about the pretty maidservants you had at the Hall." Darco stopped his reminiscences and gave Frodo a suspicious glance, as if he suddenly remembered who he was talking to. "Why are you asking these questions, Mr. Baggins?"

"Curiosity," answered Frodo.

"I've seen the effects of your curiosity before," Darco retorted, and turned his shoulder to the younger hobbit, effectively ending the conversation.

Frodo finished his ale quietly, then set down the empty mug on the bar and moved away from Darco. Eliduc had not come in yet.

As the afternoon passed into evening, the room began to fill with other hobbits who wanted a pint before dinner, but Eliduc did not come in. Frodo and Pippin waited with Marleduc but as dinner-time drew near, they knew that the Brandybucks would be expecting them back soon and would worry if they weren't prompt. They returned to the Hall, and Marleduc went home in hopes of finding his delinquent brother there.