The Long Journey Home by Silmfan

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Setting: Near the beginning of the Third Age, before the War of the Ring and when Elrond's sons are still young elflings. Slightly AU (?)

Inspired by Cold Mountain (the movie) and chocolate. There's a canonical side in me; there's a slashy side in me. Yeah, the slashy side won. There's no absolute certainty that I will complete this.it looks like it might turn out to be a long series. It depends on how much time I have (which is not a lot to begin with). I also have a tendency to leave stories unfinished when my imagination well runs dry. But, here goes.
"Elrohir! He's here, he's here!" Elladan scampered from the window excitedly. Elrohir's wide eyes grew even bigger.

"Already?"

"Yes, 'already'! Come on, Ada would not want us to be late to meet Lord Glorfindel." Elladan scurried out of the room, leaving his pouting twin brother in a slight daze. Elrohir blinked back to awareness before shouting,

"Well, wait for me!"

The two elflings then ran down the stairs and out toward the front entrance as fast as their little legs could carry them. Unfortunately, they bumped into Erestor, their father's Chief Advisor, on the way.

"Elladan. Elrohir."

Erestor's abrupt voice came out firm and commanding. The elflings meekly slowed their pace to a walk and attempted what came out to be weak smiles.

"Sorry, Master Erestor,"

Elrond's sons chirped simultaneously. A slight nod from their stern, gray-clad tutor sent them on their way. Lord Glorfindel must have arrived, Erestor thought. He immediately followed the twins at a slower, though more fluid, rate. He reached the entrance of the Last Homely House, hurrying his steps slightly when he saw Elrond beckon to him eagerly. Nearly the whole of Imladris massed, both out of curiosity and fascination, at the large arch to welcome the legendary, reborn Elf. The crowd easily parted for Erestor, not at all surprised to see such an emotionless expression on his face.

"He's to be in the Garden Bedroom in the East Wing."

Elrond turned to face Erestor, smiling at his direct report, and nodded in a gesture of thanks. Celebrian, who stood faithfully by her husband's side, voiced her own thanks. Erestor nodded, acknowledging the Lady of the House. The crowd let out gasps of surprise and anticipation as Glorfindel's party appeared over the hill that was yet some distance away. Erestor needn't ask why Glorfindel was reborn or why he was sent to the Last Homely House. From his long studious years of archiving and research, in addition with a short talk with Elrond, Erestor knew why.as well as what was coming towards the end of the Age. It will be dark.but this time we cannot afford to help. He was shaken from his gloomy musings by the sound of thundering hooves that was getting louder by the minute. And so he arrives, the advisor thought placidly though not without a touch of disdain.

Closer and closer the Elves came, slowing only slightly when they reached the House of Elrond. Everyone immediately fixed their gaze on the rider with the shining gold mane and an aura of vivacity. No doubt this was Glorfindel. They cheered, applauded, and threw practically the whole of Imladris's flowers in his face. Erestor frowned somewhat at this. He did not spend hours tending meticulously to the flowers with care only to have them uprooted, cut, and thrown in the face of someone only known now through books. He hadn't seen such celebration since the Spring Festival. Indeed, the legendary warrior seemed to enjoy the attention. Glorfindel dismounted with ease (Erestor winced; he was never good with horses) and effortlessly found Elrond, no doubt attracted by the sunlight that glinted off his silver band around his head. The rest of the riders leaped of their own horses and commenced to lead them off to the stables. Bounding up a few steps with youthful-like energy, Glorfindel enveloped a rather surprised Elf Lord in a loving, brotherly embrace.

"It's good to be here, my Lord. It's beautiful, comforting.I never thought I would return to such peace in Middle Earth again."

Glorfindel stepped back, his eyes shining with the renewed glow of life. Elrond smiled gently and clasped the warrior's hands in his own, aware of the many eyes fixed upon him.

"And we are glad to have you back amongst us old ones."

Glorfindel let out a ringing laugh, clear like the waters of the Bruinen and sweet as bells. He has truly been rejuvenated. All Elves present, save Erestor, felt much joy at this simple yet infectious sound. The Chief Advisor merely raised an eyebrow, clearly not in the mood for humor. Not that he ever was.

"Oh, but I am just as old and you know it! Only refreshed in spirit by the might of the Valar. My Lady." Glorfindel bowed to Celebrian, golden tresses sweeping down to hide his face.

"Please, rise! There is no need for such formality. As my Lord has said, we are delighted to have you here. Great things will result from your coming. Great happiness."

A sweet smile graced Celebrian's face and Glorfindel had the modesty and graciousness to blush. Erestor did not notice the quick, furtive glance she cast in his direction.

"By the way, this is Erestor."

Celebrian gestured towards Erestor, who was slightly obscured in the shade of an overhanging tree. With reluctance, though he did not show it, Erestor emerged from the shadow and without a change of countenance stood in front of Glorfindel and inclined his head abruptly.

"Lord Glorfindel."

Elrond then spoke up, deeming it time for a formal introduction.

"He's the second-in-command here as well as the Chief Advisor and tutor of several classes we have here for the young ones. Keeps everything from falling to pieces and everyone from overworking, except himself."

Here, Elrond silently chastised his advisor with a raised eyebrow. Glorfindel opened his mouth to form a response when an "Ow! Elladan." came from behind Elrond's robes. The warrior blinked in confusion as two identical pairs of brown eyes peeked out from behind Imladris's Lord.

"Elladan, Elrohir, meet Lord Glorfindel."

Elrond smiled and pushed his twin sons out in front of him. They looked up shyly at the former Lord of Gondolin, both musing as to whether his gold hair was real or not. Kneeling, Glorfindel looked at both of them intensely. The twins shuffled their feet nervously, not knowing what to expect from a former Balrog-slayer. Glorfindel lifted his gaze to meet Elrond's.

"Your sons?"

Elrond nodded, patting the both of them on their heads. The twins blurted out the speech they have been taught to memorize for this special occasion, Elladan starting as he was the elder of the two.

"Welcome to Imladris, Lord Glorfindel."

"We are very.very."

Elrohir frowned, wondering in frustration why he forgot his part at this particular instance.

"Happy to have you. We hope you are as excited as we are in looking forward to our time together."

Elladan sent his twin an exasperated glance, having picked up where Elrohir stumbled. The younger twin grinned sheepishly. Glorfindel suddenly lifted the two elflings in his arms, kissing both their foreheads. Squealing in both surprise and delight, Elladan and Elrohir giggled and immediately latched their hands onto his blond locks.

"Hello, Elrohir and Elladan. Aye, we'll have fun times together!"

He had yet to tell apart which twin was which, but Glorfindel set them down as Elrond pushed at their behinds for them to run along. Waving goodbye and laughing cheerfully, the twins disappeared fleetingly around the corner. Erestor let another frown sit on his face as he watched the twins fly away like sprites. Running like that all the time.they would get themselves hurt one day, I guarantee it. Straightening up, Glorfindel caught the displeasure on Erestor's face. Sensing the warrior's gaze and confusion, Erestor snapped his attention back on the new arriver, his frown turning into a stern, thin line.

"Master Erestor. I am pleased to meet you. I'm Glorfindel."

Glorfindel smiled brightly, although it faltered a bit at Erestor's lack of facial expression. The advisor's voice came out terse.

"I know."

Slightly taken aback, Glorfindel turned to Elrond.

"Well, it is time for the welcoming feast. You are welcome to freshen up before you attend. You will be directed to your rooms in a short while. By your leave."

Elrond took Celebrian's hand and nodded to Glorfindel, who returned the gesture.

"Thank you. I will."

Glorfindel waited until the Lord and Lady of Imladris meandered down the steps before turning back to Erestor, who was about to follow.

"Wait. There's a leaf in your hair."

Glorfindel's slender hand plucked the frail and withered thing from Erestor' s swinging raven strands. He watched the wind mercilessly snatch it up and send it tumbling miles away. He then turned to patiently wait (rather, hope) for a response from the stubborn advisor. Of course, none came. A young Elf, whom Glorfindel assumed was the one to lead him to his rooms, walked up and stood patiently, slightly afar from the warrior at a respectable distance.

"Well, then, I believe I'll go and freshen up. I don't suppose you want to join me?"

Glorfindel cocked his head imploringly to one side, his golden strands waving in the wind though looking as if they were clinging to their owner's head for fear of being whisked away. Erestor cast him a long, hard stare that could only express his usual answer of "No". Letting out a sigh that had a hint of frustration in it, Glorfindel extended his hand.

"Maybe we'll meet each other later."

He fixed his azure eyes on Erestor's sienna. The advisor didn't lift a finger. After a few moments, Erestor finally granted the warrior the luxury of one more word:

"Maybe."

Glorfindel lowered his hand, feeling confused yet curious, and proceeded to bow and turn to descend lightly down the small steps leading to Imladris's main pathway. He turned his head to see Erestor walk in the opposite direction without a second thought (or backward glance), his back as stiff as a board but his bearing as smooth and elegant as calm water.

An intriguing fellow, Glorfindel decided before heading up the main staircase inside the House to his room.