The Only One by Legolas Sweetie

"Father?" asked Legolas, softly

'What is wrong, ion?" asked Thranduil [son]

"I want to go to Imladris," said Legolas, lowering his head in fear if his father's and king's reaction

"My son, you understand why it is dangerous to go, do you not?"

"Of course, father," said Legolas, daring to glance at the Elf who had fought along Gil-Galad

"And you understand why I don't want you going."

"Yes, Father," said Legolas "But, I have grown tired of my homeland. Father, do not make me stay here, I beg you to not to do it!"

"Legolas, I would never keep you here against your will."

"You'll let me go?" asked Legolas looking straight into Thranduil's eyes

"I have my conditions," said Thranduil "You will not be going alone. A guard will escort you of no less than twenty Elven archers."

"I understand," said Legolas, quietly

"I also have another purpose to send you to Imladris."

"Yes father?" asked Legolas

"I wish for you to tell Aragorn of your connection to Sauron and complete your binding. You shall exchange rings."

"Thank you, Father!"

"No problem. Just be careful."

"I will, I will. I love you, really though."

"I know. I love you too. Get some rest now, you will need it on the morrow."

"Goodnight, Father."

"Goodnight, Legolas. Sleep well."

Legolas smiled at his father and went straight to his bedchambers. He did not, however, go straight to bed. He pulled out his traveling robe, journal, herbs, bandages, spare clothes, soap, towel, money and his weapons and placed them all in his pack. Last of all, he went to an ornately carved rosewood box, which sat on a table of oak.

Legolas opened the box and took out a ring, made of white, rose and yellow gold with an emerald centered in it. His promise to Aragorn, of a never-ending love. He knew not what ring Aragorn would give him, but knowing his lover, something beautiful and costly.

He wrapped it in a silk handkerchief and slipped it into his pack. Finally he undressed and climbed into bed. As his dreams overtook him, he smiled.




"Legolas," Thranduil's voice was quiet "Are you awake?"

"Nearly," came the soft reply

"When you are dressed and ready, come to the dining chamber for breakfast. Then will you accompany me to my chambers? I have something to give you."

"Of course, Father," Legolas said, sitting up

Thranduil smiled and left Legolas' bedchambers.




When Legolas was dressed in his tunic, leggings and cloak, he went to the dining chamber and sat by his father's side and opposite his mother, as was the custom of Mirkwood.

"Legolas, do you have to go?" asked Calimagil, handing him a bowl of fruit

"Yes, Mother," said Legolas, taking an apple and biting into it "I need to see Lord Elrond and Aragorn."

After breakfast, Legolas and Thranduil went to the Elven king's chambers. The Elven king opened a beautiful chest made of mellyrn and took out a knife. It was beautiful and made out of mithril, but it looked ancient.

"I want you to have this," said Thranduil "It is the Knife of Celebgil, your forefather. It can kill the Nazgūl and wound Sauron."

"Thank you, Father," said Legolas, taking it

"Think nothing of it," said Thranduil, with a wry smile "Come! Let us go down ton the gates!"

Legolas grinned and followed Thranduil to the gates.

"Farewell, my son," said Thranduil, clasping the Elven prince's hand "Take care."

"Farewell, Father," replied Legolas, squeezing his father's hand "I will try."

With a hug to Calimagil and a swift nod to the healer, Legolas mounted his horse, Aduial, and set off. He looked back once, before he was out of even Elven sight.