The Siege by Anonymous Slashlover

Story notes: I'm a really busy person right now, so I won't continue this storyline unless i get at least a few reviews of it. So please, if you like it, tell me. It'll only take a couple of minutes. Thank you : )
He sighed as he looked once more off into the distance, at the faraway city and the smoke rising from the tall towers, mingling with the clouds of the overcast day, producing a thoroughly gloomy atmosphere. It had been like this for a week, since they had torched the towers. Before that, Legolas had been here for a year, camped out beyond the lines of the enemy, mourning always at the thought of what might have happened to his beloved. A chill wind brushed through his hair and he absently tucked a wayward blond strand behind his ear. Aragorn used to do that he remembered suddenly, and his face saddened further.

It had been a long time since he had seen Aragorn. And that hurt a lot. His past was full of wonderful memories of Aragorn, of a long love and a longer friendship. But so much had changed since then. Practicality had forced him to marry, and he even had a son. There really had been no way out of getting married; the love between the king and he was known to but a few, and they knew how to keep their mouths closed. Although he had spent so much time in the city, with the king, everyone assumed there was no more between the two save friendship.

Legolas knew that he should be in the besieged city. Waiting out here only made him wonder about all the terrible things that might have happened to Aragorn. And worst of all would be if he had been killed. It was the type of abysmally stupid thing that Aragorn would do; getting himself killed without any thought to consequences, like how badly he would hurt Legolas through his death. Men are so rash, he thought. So why do I love him so much? But even as the question entered his mind, it was answered. Aragorn was perfect for him, and none other had ever made him feel so complete. But Aragorn had always had other priorities than him. Legolas knew that well.

Aragorn glared at him as he paced the hall. "I tell you again that you have to go, Legolas."

Legolas closed his eyes sadly. "Why, Aragorn?" he asked softly. "You know I would gladly stay, would gladly fight at your side. They are coming, Aragorn, whether you will it or not. This city will be besieged within the month."

Aragorn smiled shortly. "Precisely, Which is why I need you to go rally support from elsewhere. I trust only you to this task."

"No," corrected Legolas. "You just want me out of here. But you are king. You know it is not safe here. You know that you should leave. I can command the army; you know that, too. My death means less than yours would."

Aragorn smirked. "The prince of Mirkwood? I'd rather have all my own people dead than have to answer to your father as to why I let you die. No, I am king, and my word goes. You must leave. These are my people; I will not abandon them. And I can protect myself."

Legolas frowned. "Okay. So let me get this straight. You, a man, a king, even, can stay here and protect yourself, but I cannot. Despite the fact that I am an elf, and have about three thousand years of experience on you?"

Aragorn turned on him. "Those words do not become you, Legolas. I have made up my mind. You will leave. Go, now." Aragorn turned to leave the hall, his footsteps sure and quick.

Legolas watched Aragorn leave, hurt by his actions. Aragorn had not kissed him good-bye. He always did that.

Legolas's eyes narrowed as he remembered that. It had been a long time since he had recalled their last fight. That memory still hurt a lot. But they had had a tumultuous relationship and had fought often. Especially over Legolas's marriage.

When Legolas walked into the room, he immediately knew something was wrong. Aragorn's face was drawn and tired. He seemed to be mumbling to himself, but Legolas could not tell what. In quick, sure strides, he crossed the room and laid his hand gently on Aragorn's wrist. To his surprise, Aragorn jerked his arm violently away from Legolas. In a rather shocked voice, Legolas asked, "What's wrong?"

Aragorn glared up at him. "You know fine well what's wrong."

Legolas thought that over for a few seconds, and then shook his head. "Sorry, but I don't."

Cruelly, Aragorn said, "Try and think, 'darling.' It involves a fancy ceremony, a man and a woman. Are you starting to get the picture?"

In an instant, Legolas realized. "You're upset that I'm getting married?" A brief nod confirmed this guess. "But why? You're married, too, and that hasn't seemed to have affected our relationship."

"Yes, Legolas, I know, but I had to get married. I'm king, I need heirs."

Legolas felt his temper rising and fought to cool off, but it was hard. "You may have forgotten, 'Your Majesty', that I am a prince. One day I shall be king. You are not the only one that needs heirs. But it's for that reason only. You know I love you."

"Right," said Aragorn, not looking at him. "And this has nothing at all to do with certain rumors I have the heard that the she-elf in question happens to be pregnant?"

Legolas bit his lip. Hard. He should have known Aragorn would have found out. "I'm sorry," he began. "I love you..."

"I don't want to hear it," said Aragorn dismissively. "Go now, get married, have a great life. I wish you well."

Legolas felt tears welling up in his eyes, but fought them back. The last thing he could do at this point was cry. Calmly, he turned and walked from the room, not once looking back.

That had been one of their worst fights. They hadn't spoken for six months afterwards. But, as always, they made up in the end. Both had learned to deal with the other being married, despite the narrow escapes from being caught by their spouses. Even these bad memories, thought, brought a little bit of a smile onto his face. He knew that as long as he kept Aragorn alive in his mind, everything would be all right.

"Father?" asked the childish voice behind him.

Legolas turned and smiled at his son. "Yes?"

"The Commander wants to see you."

"Okay. Thank you." Legolas walked off. This was another thing that occasionally got on his nerves. When this group had been formed, his father had ostentatiously not given him command. Instead the duty fell to someone not even from Mirkwood, Haldir. Not that Legolas was especially jealous. Commanding was hard work and Legolas didn't know if he'd be able to take the pressure. But that wasn't the point. Legolas felt that his father should have much more trust in him than that. When he reached Haldir's tent, he called out, "Haldir?"

"Come in, Legolas," said the voice from within.

Legolas entered the large tent and saw Haldir looking critically at him. "Sit," he commanded. Legolas smiled, but did as he was told. "You look troubled, my friend," Haldir continued. "Can I be of any assistance?"

Legolas's smile grew a little. "No. I was just thinking."

"About Aragorn?"

"Yes." Haldir was one of those who knew about their love and so it was okay to admit that he had been pining over Aragorn.

"Then I have good news for you. We may have found a way into the city. It's through the sewers..." Haldir paused when he saw Legolas's face twist into disgust. Haldir laughed. "I know, Legolas. But if it gets us into the city, I shall not complain."

"Nor will I."

"Then the matter is settled."

"Is that all?" asked Legolas, beginning to rise.

"No," said Haldir, advancing towards Legolas. Legolas saw it coming and tried to stand, but Haldir stopped that simply by sitting on him. "No," repeated Haldir, but this time it was a command.

Haldir kissed him roughly. Initially, Legolas resisted, but then gave in, simply enjoying it. But when Haldir's hands began to roam under his tunic to the flawless pale skin beneath, Legolas pushed him away. "No," he said softly. "Not here and not now. It isn't safe."

Haldir grimaced, but backed away. "Gods, it's been too long, Legolas. Why do you torture me so?"

Legolas smiled fondly at him. "Perhaps you can invent an expedition from the two of use to embark on tomorrow. Until then, though, good-night." He leaned forward a little and kissed Haldir chastely on the forehead. As he walked into the cool evening, he smiled to himself. Haldir had been sent to his father just before Legolas returned home, asking for help to defend Aragorn. They had renewed their friendship, as it had been many years since they had seen each other. But there was more this time. Legolas didn't know if it was because he was angry with Aragorn or something else, but something new had bloomed between them. And it moved fast. Within a week, they were regularly sleeping together. Their relationship ahs lasted just about a year, and though Legolas had tried to break it off several times, he had found he couldn't. He needed the comfort that only Haldir could provide. Or, thought Legolas dismally, Aragorn.