Tricks and Thefts at the Prancing Pony by Kathryn Ramage

The window to Frodo's and Merry's room was too small for a grown hobbit to get through, so Pippin and Pim carried the bundle down to hide it in one of their rooms. Frodo and Merry sat on top of the gable, looking down into the square far below, and discussed what to do next. While Frodo was sure he knew who the thief was, he had no idea how he could prove it.

When he spotted two people meeting in front of the inn, he quickly lay flat on his stomach against the slate shingles, and tugged his cousin urgently by the arm to pull him down so he also wouldn't be seen.

"Why? Who're we hiding from?" Merry wondered, and lifted his head just enough to peek over the edge of the roof at the pair. "Is he the one? He's staying here at the Pony? I wish I'd known that before--I would've said something!" And he told Frodo what he'd seen earlier that morning at the locksmith's shop.

Frodo laughed. "That settles it! I know what to do. Come along!" They scrambled across the length of the roof to climb down.




While Merry returned the ladder, Frodo found Mr. Butterbur and confirmed that the stables were locked at night, so no one else could have taken it out. Then he asked, "Last night, did you see any of the things that were stolen, before they were taken?"

"Some of 'em," the innkeeper answered. "Mrs. Tillerman was wearing her ring, and they all had their purses out. Mr. Wetleaf bought a round of ales for the folk he was with, and then Mr. Tillerman and those Sarty lads followed in kind. They were all very friendly. The cloak pins and such, I didn't take notice of." He looked down at Frodo hopefully. "Did you find anything when you went up to the roof?"

"As a matter of fact, we did. My investigation is nearly done, and I'll have all the answers you like very soon. I'd like everyone, the troupe and the other guests, to be gathered in the common room at midday," Frodo requested. "Can you manage that for me, Mr. Butterbur? Are the Tillermans and Wetleafs here? They've been out all morning."

"Aye, they're here. The last came back just a minute ago and are in the common room this minute," Butterbur replied, heartened by Frodo's news. "Some of our regulars for luncheon are in there too, but I'll shut the doors and see 'em out soon as can be done."

Frodo next went to look for Pippin, and found him in his room, sitting on the bed by the door. "We'll need that bundle in about half an hour," he told his cousin. "Where did you and Pimmy hide it?"

"It's here, in my pack under the bed," Pippin pointed immediately under the spot where he was seated. "I'm keeping guard."

"I'll take your place," Frodo offered, "if you'll do something for me. I'd ask Dorryk or Nob. They might agree to it, but it'd be much worse for them if they were caught--they've already been called thieves once today. Mr. Grimmold's taught you a few sleight-of-hand tricks, hasn't he?"

"Yes, a few." Pippin perked up, curiosity piqued by this odd request. "What do you want me to steal for you, Frodo?"

Frodo told him. "If they're in the common room, there might be enough people about so you mightn't be noticed. But you'll have to be careful."

"I'm always careful," his cousin replied with a grin, and went down the hall to the common room. Frodo sat nervously on the bed, waiting. After awhile, Merry peeked his head in.

"We're nearly done, if Pippin can perform a bit of pick-pocketry and not get caught," Frodo told him.

"You solved it less than three hours," Merry said as he joined Frodo on the bed. "That's very quick, even for you. We won't be two or three days after all." He didn't sound very happy about it, and Frodo put a sympathetic arm around him.

"We couldn't have stayed on the road forever, Merry."

"I wouldn't want that," Merry replied, "but I'm not looking forward to being home either. It won't be easy, taking Father's place."

"I'll be there to help you," Frodo promised him, not for the first time. "I won't leave, not 'til you tell me to go." They leaned their heads again each other, temple to temple.

Pippin returned, grinning even more gleefully than before, but he stopped in the doorway and the smile disappeared when he saw them sitting together.

"Did you get it, Pip?" Frodo asked him, and moved away from Merry.

Pippin nodded, and showed him. "I stood right by his bar-stool, and he didn't even see me."

"Splendid! Then we're ready to begin."