Tricks and Thefts at the Prancing Pony by Kathryn Ramage

Story notes: This story takes place at the end of August 1422 (S.R.), following "Poison in the Citadel" and "Secret in Ancient Stone," during the boys' journey home.

September 2006

The Frodo Investigates! series
Five hobbits in colorful clothing were performing tumbling tricks in the market square when Frodo, Merry, and Pippin arrived in Bree. Pippin burst into a smile, the first in many days, when he caught sight of these acrobats.

"It's the Trufoots!" he identified them. "Mr. Grimmold's circus must be in town." He jumped down from his pony and left it in front of the Prancing Pony Inn while he went over to watch the show. Merry and Frodo also dismounted and left their ponies with a stable-lad who had emerged from the inn's courtyard before they joined him.

Frodo wasn't as familiar with Mr. Grimmold's circus troupe as his cousins were. He'd only seen them once, when he'd discovered who was behind the "haunting" in Green Hill Wood and the curse on Noddy Ferndingle's farm, while Pippin had made friends with the troupe during their stay in the Shire and Merry had traveled with them to Minas Tirith.

He didn't recall the Trufoots, but as he watched the show in the square, he observed that the family consisted of a mother and father, two grown lads, a half-grown girl, and a boy barely in his tweens. All performed the most astonishing stunts, and drew gasps of surprise and bursts of enthusiastic applause from their audience. The whole party formed pyramids and towers by standing on each other's backs or shoulders. The older lads walked along a single rope drawn taut overhead between two tall poles--Frodo had seen Elves do this same trick crossing a river in Lothlorien, and these hobbits were as sure-footed if not as graceful--and caught balls tossed up to them by their parents to juggle or balance on their noses or bounce off their heads in an unusual and amusing game of "catch." The youngest boy did somersaults, flips, and cartwheels, and vaulted himself with the aid of his mother onto a chair held aloft by his father. The girl rode standing on the bare-backed pony Moondancer, did handstands, and in an awe-inspiring finale, jumped through a barrel-hoop set on fire. The hat that Mr. Trufoot passed around at the end of the show was quickly filled.

As the crowd dispersed, Frodo found other members of the troupe in the square, people he recognized: Nobold Ferndingle, Dorryk Thistlecombe, the Big joungler whose name he didn't know, and a woman named Griselma. With them was another familiar face Frodo hadn't expected to see, a ginger-haired hobbit-miss with the distinctive fox-like features of a Took.

Pippin saw her too. "Look--there's my sister!" He waved to draw her attention. "Hoy, Pimmy! Pim! Over here!"

Pimpernel Took, hearing her name, looked around until she found her brother, and waved in return. "Pip!" She quickly skirted the edges of the thinning crowd to come over and give him a hug. "I didn't hope to see you along this road--and you've found them! How wonderful!" Frodo and Merry also each received a hug. "I'm so sorry about your father, Merry, but it's good to see you've come back. All the Brandybucks will be terribly happy to have you home."

"But what are you doing so far from home, Pimmy?" Pippin asked her.

"I'm having my own adventure," she answered. "Are you lads stopping at the inn tonight? Come have dinner with me and I'll tell you about it."

They went into the Prancing Pony. The innkeeper, Mr. Butterbur, recognized the new arrivals, although he was hard pressed to recall their names. "Welcome, little masters!" he greeted them. "It's Mr. Underhill- No, it was another name, wasn't it? Yes, Baggins, that's right. And Masters Brandybuck and Took. Oh, I'd remember you, even if I didn't have Miss Took here to remind me. Wasn't there another one with you before?"

"Yes, there was," answered Frodo, "but he didn't come along this time."

"And where've you been off to? Ah, to see the King? Well now, that is fine, and you must tell us all the news while you're here. The lad's taken your ponies in and seen to 'em, has he? You'll be wanting a good dinner right away and a room for night. We're nearly full up with the circus-folk and we're that busy with all sorts of travelers from west, north, east, and south now that that bad lot's been driven off, but I'm sure I can find a nice, hobbit-sized bed or two for you. You'll want the ground floor, I take it?"

"We'll be happy to take whatever's available," said Merry, "We've gotten used to sleeping upstairs, but a hobbit bed would be nice after so many months among the Bigs, if you have any empty."

Mr. Butterbur promised to do what he could. In the meantime, the hobbits were shown into a small, private parlor, where their dinner was served--a very welcome meal after the long journey with its daily way-bread and dried fruit.

"Now tell us what happened," Pippin said to his sister once the platters of food had been set on the table and the servant had left the room. "It has to do with Ferdi, doesn't it? Did he jilt you?"

"Nothing of the sort!" Pim retorted. "If anything, I jilted him, only we weren't betrothed in the first place." She turned to Merry and Frodo to explain. "I don't know how much of it you know about, but you must've seen a bit when you visited Tuckborough. Five unmarried girl-cousins, and Ferdi. One of us had to catch him sooner or later. At least, Father and Mother, Uncle Addy, and Ferdi's parents left us to sort it out for ourselves rather than try to make a match. Well, this summer past, with all Uncle Addy's daughters married off or spoken for, it was left up to Peri and me."

"That's where it was when I left," said Pippin. "Mother was sure you'd be betrothed before the summer was out."

"Mother only thought it ought to be me because I'm older than Peri and should get first dibs," Pim answered. "But when it came to the point, I wasn't so keen on Ferdi after all. Oh, he's a nice lad, handsome, funny, and he liked the things girls do and doesn't like boys the way you lads do, but I didn't feel like I wanted a husband just yet. I wanted to go and see a bit of the world first. I could do the sensible, respectable Bankish thing, marry Ferdi, and never leave Tuckborough for the rest of my life, or I could do the Tookish thing and run off with a traveling circus--and you see which I've chosen! The circus was in Michel Delving for the Lithetide fair. I went up to see them, since we became such friends with them last winter, and when they went off, I asked if I could come along. I'm learning how to juggle! Besides, Peri cares for Ferdi much more than I do, so I thought I'd better leave them to it. If they aren't married by the time I return to the Shire, it won't be my fault. Now, what have you boys been up to?"

Merry was just beginning to answer the question, when there was a knock at the door and Dorryk and Nobold peeked in.

"We saw you arrive," said Nob, "but Miss Pim dragged you off so quickly, we didn't have a chance to say hello before."

"Everyone's in the common room," added Dorryk. "They've all heard you're here, and they're looking forward to seeing you again. Mr. Grimmold'd like it so much if you'd come out to see his magic lantern show when it gets dark."

"I've seen it," said Frodo.

Dorryk laughed. "That was only practice! Mr. Grimmold's improved things since then. You must come!"

When they finished their dinner, the group of cousins went into the common room, where they were greeted by the troupe: Big Folk, hobbits, dwarves, the yapping dogs, and Mr. Grimmold himself, who was smaller than a hobbit even though he was of the race of the Big Folk. He had a pointed beard and wore thick-heeled boots, and had a voice of command that many men twice his size would envy.

There were other people in the common room, Big Folk and hobbits, and a party of dwarves. The Big Folk and hobbits were mostly local folk who had come into the Inn for an ale or two per their usual evening custom. The dwarves, who were only passing through, sat by themselves at a table in the corner, discussing their own business. They seemed surprised to see others of their kind among the troupe. Another couple, a man and woman, sat in the opposite corner; Frodo first assumed they were Bree-folk, for he had seen them in the square, watching the acrobats, but he soon learned they were also travelers staying at the Inn. They observed the odd collection of people around them with fascination.

The acrobats had changed out of their colorful and fanciful clothes after their performance and looked like any ordinary hobbit-family seated together at dinner. The Trufoots were well known to Pippin and Merry; Pim introduced them to Frodo: "This is Mrs. and Mr. Trufoot, their eldest son Fergold, their daughter Miss Larkspur, and the little lad is Linden. And this..." She took the second son by the arm and brought him forward, "is Campion."

Frodo had the distinct impression that Pim was presenting this last hobbit-lad in particular, and he guessed that there was more to her reasons for deciding not to marry Ferdi and leaving with the troupe than she had told them.

Campion was a pleasant-faced young hobbit of about forty, tallish, fair-haired, and on the slender side, as befitted his acrobatic profession. "A pleasure, Mr. Baggins," he bowed to Frodo. "Miss Pim talks a lot about you."

His parents were more outspoken. "It's good to see you again, Mr. Baggins," Mr. Trufoot greeted him with a chuckle. "Though you don't remember us, do you, lad?"

Frodo confessed that he didn't, and made the older hobbit laugh.

"We were in on the pranks that night," his wife explained with the same note of merriment. "You remember--When we sent you and that friend of yours chasing after Mr. G's tricks and fancy lights. Oh, we were all in on that fun, except for Nob, who wasn't well, poor dear, and might've taken a worse chill running about the woods of a winter's night. It was raining too, as I recall."

"You ought've seen your faces!" Fergold added.

The room was soon filled with laughter. Even Merry, Pippin, and Pim joined in, as the Trufoots and other members of the troupe described the elaborate prank the circus had played on Frodo and Sam that November night nearly two years ago. And, although he hadn't found it funny at the time, Frodo had to laugh too.

"But the biggest joke of all was when you came to call upon us the next day," said Dorryk. "Nobody expected that."

"We didn't know who you were then," Mr. Grimmold said. "I think we would've been more careful about who we played tricks on if we did."

"But if you hadn't played tricks on Frodo and Sam, we would never have met you," said Pippin. "I can't be sorry for that."

Frodo had expected to have a restful evening at the Prancing Pony after the ride from Rivendell, and before he and his cousins set out on the last leg of their journey home, not such a boisterous welcome. But it was pleasant to be in the company of friendly and familiar people, and to be among hobbits again. They'd even found family in the form of Pim. Of all the places he had been in the great world, Bree was the most like the Shire. After being away so many months, the sight of the round doors of hobbit-holes dotting the slope of Bree Hill above the buildings of the town had brought tears to his eyes as well as a pang of homesickness.

Although the Shire was one hundred miles away, Frodo could feel how close they were now. Almost home--it was only a matter of days. He would see Sam again. The thought brought another pang of longing, and he wondered: What happens then? He had so much to tell his friend. So much to explain. He still wasn't certain how he would manage it.

Before they went out to see the magic lantern show, the trio were shown up to the only accommodation Mr. Butterbur could find for them, a small gable room on the top floor of the inn over the stables. A single bed was pushed under the little window at the jointure of the slanted walls.

"We don't have call to use it much," said Mr. Butterbur, ducking as he showed the hobbits in. "The Big Folk say it's too cramped and the ceiling's too low, and the Little Folk don't like to be so high up off the solid ground. There's only the one bed, but it's big enough for two or three hobbits to sleep, if you don't mind a bit of crowding."

"It'll be fine," Frodo assured him. "We're only going to be here one night."

After Mr. Butterbur had gone, Pippin picked up his bag. "I won't crowd you," he told Merry and Frodo. "I'll get out and leave you two alone--it's what you've wanted since we left Minas Tirith. I'll find a bed somewhere else. Nob and Dorryk won't mind if I sleep with them."

"Pippin, we don't mind, honestly-" said Frodo, but Pippin was already heading out the door.

Frodo looked desperately at Merry, who shrugged and said, "Can you blame him? It can't be easy for him, being around us now."

"But we aren't doing anything. All I want a bed for tonight is a good night's sleep."

"That doesn't matter."

Except for a few nights in Rivendell, he and Merry hadn't spent any time privately together since the beginning of their journey. Frodo hated to make even the most innocent show of affection in front of Pippin and deliberately hurt his feelings. But he saw that Merry was right. Knowing that they'd become lovers must make Pippin uncomfortable, and unless Merry went back to Pippin--which Merry didn't seem inclined to do--there was no way to make it up to him.

At dusk, they went out to see the show in a field outside of town. It began with a giant head that appeared from a bank of billowing white smoke and emitted flashes of lightning from its eyes as it spoke thunderous words of welcome; the head reappeared at intervals throughout the show to tell jokes and sing popular pub songs, and encouraged the audience to join in. The low-lying mists on the field were set aglow with a bright orange light that made it look as if it were a sea of fire, and the Big joungler spun and tossed dangerous-looking flaming batons up into the night sky, but somehow neither he nor the grass ever caught fire. Griselma did a dance in white robes, accompanied by haunting flute music and similarly white misty figures that floated around her and mimicked her movements. The show concluded with a flock of flittering lights shaped like enormous butterflies in a multitude of colors. Frodo enjoyed these tricks much more while sitting comfortably under the trees at the edge of the field than he had running around a forest on a cold night, lost, bewildered, and frightened.

When they returned to the Inn, he went up to bed after one half-pint in the common room. Merry stayed downstairs awhile longer with Mr. Grimmold, Butterbur, and others who were eager to hear news of the new King and the goings-on in Minas Tirith.

Frodo was nearly asleep when Merry came into the room, undressed, and climbed into bed without bothering to fish a nightshirt out of his pack. He soon woke, however, when Merry lay down behind him. A hand fell on his thigh, then tugged up on his nightshirt to bare his backside, run appreciatively over one firm curve and give it a squeeze.

"What a nice little bottom you have," Merry murmured, and snugged his hips in close.

"I suppose it is, thank you," Frodo answered drowsily, wriggling to press back in a reflexive response to the familiar sensation. "I've never seen it myself." As he rolled over and threw an arm around Merry's neck, Merry gave him a wet kiss that tasted strongly of ale. He'd obviously had at least one more pint since Frodo had left him, and was feeling rather frisky with it.

"I've just been telling everyone about you," Merry said.

"Not about my bottom!"

Merry laughed. "No--about how you found the poisoner, and about the ghost of that Elf buried in the wall. They never heard such a tale before!"

"What about Pippin?" asked Frodo. "Is he still downstairs? Did he find a place to sleep?"

The question had a dampening effect on Merry's ardor. "He's all right," he said, and flopped back onto the mattress with a sigh. "The other hobbits have taken him in. He'll be happier with them."

"I wish you'd make it up with him, Merry. Be friends, at least."

"Do you want me to go back to him?"

"I'll understand if you do," Frodo answered. "I know how you love him."

"And you'd go home to Sam."

"No. Whether or not I am with you, I think it's better I leave Sam and Rose and the baby alone to make their own family without me. Besides, I promised you I'd stay on in Buckland." Frodo had chosen the relative peace and solitude of the cottage at Crickhollow over the crowd at Brandy Hall, but he wanted to be nearby for Merry's sake. He knew that Merry was still grieving over his father's death, and would have a difficult time adjusting to being the new Master of the Hall.

"Then we might as well go on as we are." Merry said, and pulled Frodo close for another kiss, not as heated as before, but with a certain determined urgency. Frodo conceded that he wasn't going to get as much rest tonight as he'd planned.

Later in the night, a loud series of thumps woke them. Merry groaned and Frodo folded a pillow around his head. The neighbors were being awfully noisy at such a late hour!