Secret in Ancient Stone by Kathryn Ramage

The next morning, Frodo went up to the citadel to pay a call upon Arwen in the royal chambers. While he'd seen the Queen often among her ladies in the boudoir since that day when she had embarrassed him with her innocent indiscretion, he'd had no chance to speak to her privately. But on this day, after his sight of the sobbing apparition and the idea that had followed it, he put aside his shyness and came to her on a special errand.

That incident had also been on Arwen's mind, for she welcomed Frodo into her sitting room the moment her page announced his arrival, as if she'd been expecting him, and once they were alone, told him, "I have wanted to apologize to you, Frodo. I caused you distress, when I did not mean to. Melani such as Elspar and Dadenmiel are well known to Elven-kind. I didn't understand that it would shame you to speak so of you and Merry."

"I'm not ashamed, exactly," Frodo answered, and turned pink at the points of his ears. "I'm quite happy to be as I am. But as Merry said, it doesn't happen very often among hobbits. When it does, it isn't generally talked about. I'm not used to hearing people discuss it in public, nor speaking about it myself except with my closest friends--Merry, Sam, Pippin. Those who understand."

Arwen nodded gravely. "Yes, that is also the way of Man-kind, or so I have been told."

"Some boys have these feelings for each other when they're young," Frodo continued to explain, "but most grow out of it once they reach an age to marry. It's rare to be like Merry and me, and never want a wife or children at all."

"Is that what became of your Samwise... and Pippin too?" she asked. "We wondered when Merry first came here, and wouldn't speak of why he'd left his home. Eowyn said it must have to do with Pippin, since he never spoke his name, while yours and those of his kindred were often upon his lips. We saw how the two were bonded to each other, as you were to Sam."

"Yes, well..." Frodo ducked his head. Everyone had seen what he and Sam felt for each other, apparently. And he thought they'd been so discreet!

"It puzzled me that you should bond thereafter with Merry."

"We thought it the best thing to do, under the circumstances, since we are alike in this one respect."

Arwen nodded again. "I'm glad that you can find love twice. We of the Eldar can only give our hearts once. It is our greatest joy, as well as our greatest grief if that love is lost. When my beloved Estel departs this realm..."

Her eyes grew sad and, for once, Frodo knew what she was thinking: even though she'd given up her immortality to be with Aragorn, she would surely outlive him. To lead her away from this morbid line of thought, he changed the subject to the one that had brought him here today. "I hoped you could tell me more about the two Elves, my lady. You knew them."

"Yes," she answered, smiling a little at this abrupt transition, as if she perceived why Frodo had done it. "What can I tell you about them, Frodo?"

"It was the cloak-pin found with the body that I'm most curious about, the one with the green gemstone. Do you recall if Elspar or Dadenmiel had such a gemstone when you saw them last?"

"I last saw Elspar and Dadenmiel many years before they came to this city, Frodo," Arwen answered. "I didn't recognize that cloak-pin when I saw it. I would have said the name of the one who wore it, had I known. This I do know: The mithril in which the gem was set was not fashioned by the smiths of Imladris, nor by the Elves of Lothlorien."

"The Elves of Mirkwood, then?" asked Frodo. "Perhaps a gift or token from King Thranduil?"

"I can make no better guess," said Arwen. "My father has often said that Thranduil is an insular king, concerned only with his woodland realm, and suspicious of those who come from outside it, but he can be generous to those visitors who have gained his trust or favor. That is why my father would send Elspar to him when they must have dealings--the Far Seer was in Thranduil's favor, and the King of the Wood would hear his words when he might scorn another."

"Then you think it's more likely that Thranduil would give such a piece of jewelry to Elspar than to Dadenmiel?" Frodo asked her.

"Yes," Arwen agreed. "It seems to me more likely."