Poison in the Citadel by Kathryn Ramage

The rest of that evening was spent in hasty preparations. Rosie made up one of the spare rooms--the one with the longest bed--for Gandalf, while Sam searched Frodo's wardrobe for the clothing he had bought and worn in Minas Tirith. Frodo was busy in his study, putting his affairs into order to see that the household ran smoothly during his absence; he also wrapped up the Red Book and a small case of writing materials to take with him.

Frodo went to bed immediately after dinner, but was too nervous and excited at the prospect of the journey he was about to embark upon to sleep. How odd to return to Minas Tirith! He never imagined he'd see the city again after he'd left it nearly three years ago. In fact, he'd never expected to leave the Shire once he'd come home.

After Bag End was darkened and quiet, Sam came in. It was Frodo's night, according to the rules established between the three of them when Sam and Rosie had married. Although Sam didn't dare leave Rosie alone all night, now that her baby was expected at any time, he always spent an hour or two with Frodo before returning to sleep in his wife's bedroom.

Frodo sat up with his arms around his knees and smiled at his friend in the firelight. "Everything's packed, Sam, and ready to go?"

"Your bag's sitting by the front door, and your book 'n' all's within it," Sam replied. "I've got a few things left to put into mine, but that's only a moment's work. We'll be ready to leave with Mr. Gandalf first thing in the morning."

"You're coming with me?" Frodo was surprised. They hadn't discussed this. Under normal circumstances, he would've taken it for granted that Sam would accompany him on an investigation--but he'd never expected Sam to want to go with him now.

"Of course," said Sam, as if he were surprised Frodo should ask. "If you're bound to go, then I'm coming with you. D'you think I'd let you go without me?"

"What about Rosie?"

"I've had a word with Rosie. She's going to send for her mother to come 'n' stay with her while I'm away."

"But this investigation may take us away from the Shire for weeks, even months," Frodo responded, incredulous that Sam should propose such a plan. "You'd never be able to leave Rosie for so long, not now. You can't even bear to be out of her call!"

"She'll be all right. Don't you fret about it. Her mum'll look after her, and I'll look after you like I always do," Sam insisted, but in that bold, bluff way that told Frodo he was quashing some doubts in his own mind. Frodo brought them out into the open.

"I couldn't ask that of you, Sam. I know you mean well, but you'll worry about her every day we're away. Besides, if you went with me, you couldn't possibly return in time to see your child born. You'd never forgive yourself if you missed that."

Tears welled in Sam's eyes at the mention of the baby. "But I couldn't let you go alone, Frodo. I'm that torn in two over it!"

Frodo held out both hands and, in an instant, Sam was in his arms.

"Who'll look after you if I don't?" he sobbed. "I didn't like to say so afore Mr. Gandalf, but you're hardly fit for such a long trip. And what about your worst day? You know it's coming up soon. What if this next bad turn is even worse'n last year's?"

"Gandalf will be there, and Strider--he's a skilled healer," Frodo answered in reassuring tones as he patted Sam's back and tangled fingers in his curls. "They have Houses of Healing in Minas Tirith, full of people who are accustomed to attend to illness. They'll take the best care of me on that day, or if I have any other troubles with my health."

In Sam's opinion, no one could ever give Frodo the best care except himself, but he had to concede that these people would tend to Frodo adequately. "I wish you'd said No."

"I did try to, Sam, but the King has asked for me 'specially. Strider needs my help, and Gandalf seems to think I'm the hobbit for the job. I couldn't refuse."

Although he didn't say so to Sam, Frodo also thought that it was for the best that he take this opportunity to leave Bag End and the Gamgees for awhile. As he had let Sam and Rosie spend time alone together during their courtship and on their honeymoon, he ought to let them establish their own family without him in their midst. A new baby would be disruption enough to the household, and would not be more than a few weeks old when he had his dark day at the end of March. From his previous bad spells, Frodo knew he would need a great deal of care on that day, and for many days afterwards. Last year, he'd been bedridden for more than a week and had remained in fragile health through most of April. How could he ask Sam to care for him when there were others who needed Sam's care and attention more?

"I'll return as soon as I can," he promised, and raised Sam's face to kiss him lightly. "Will you stay with me awhile tonight, Sam? I know I ought to sleep, since I must be up at daybreak, but this will be our last night together for some time..." He'd been speaking playfully, to try and console Sam, but as he spoke, Frodo felt the full impact of his own words; he and Sam would be parted for a long time. Tears welled in his own eyes.

"Oh, Sam!" he cried. "I'll miss you terribly." They both were sobbing as they clung to each other, exchanging wet kisses on their tear-dampened faces.

Sam was still in his clothes, and Frodo began to tug at them, undoing the buttons of his waistcoat and shirt. He wanted to touch him all over, bare skin to bare skin. Once he had gotten Sam out of his upper clothes, helped as Sam tried to pull his nightshirt off over his head. He entwined with Sam and brought him in, as deeply as he could. He savored every stroke, every sensation. Their lovemaking must be special tonight, the very best, for it would have to last a long time in his and Sam's memories... until they were together again. Who knew how far in the future that would be?




At daybreak, Frodo rose and dressed. He and Gandalf took a hasty breakfast while Rosie, who was used to early hours, packed some food for their journey. She did not say so aloud, but Frodo could see she was relieved that Sam would not be going with them, and grateful to Frodo for talking him out of it; she gave Frodo a peck on the cheek as she saw him off at the front door, and promised that she would take care of his house for him awhile he was away.

Sam, on the other hand, was red-eyed with weeping and a sleepless night as he carried Frodo's bag to the gate. Frodo kept a hand on his friend's arm as they went down the steps.

"There's one bright light in all this, Sam," he said. "Even if I can't help Strider with these murders, I'll see Merry again. Perhaps I can convince him to come home with me when this business is finished. At least, I can bring news of him back to Pippin and the family. Oh--I hadn't thought of it, and there isn't time to write them now! Will you do it for me, Sam? Write to Pippin and to my Aunt Esme, tell them where Merry is, and that we've heard he's well and happy."

"Her ladyship won't think it presumptuous of me?" asked Sam.

"The Lady of Brandy Hall will be delighted to hear from you," Frodo assured him. "She's fond of you, you know, and she'll be relieved to have news of her son."

Gandalf, who was already standing in the lane, gave a piercing whistle; there was a whinneying cry in response, and Shadowfax appeared from the lingering morning mists, the first glints of the rising sun making his white coat gleam.

When Shadowfax trotted up to the gate, Gandalf lifted Frodo up onto the horse's back, and put the strapped baggage over his hindquarters. "We'll ride south, down the Greenway, to reach the city as quickly as possible," he said as he mounted behind the hobbit.

Frodo looked down to find Sam standing below. "G'bye, Sam."

Sam climbed up onto the garden gate and grabbed his toes--all he could reach of Frodo on horseback--and gave them a farewell squeeze. There were fresh tears on his face as he gazed upwards. "I'll think of you every day you're gone," he said in a choked voice, then let go.

And they were off. Frodo's last sight of Sam was his friend hanging on the gate of Bag End, waving farewell.