Poison in the Citadel by Kathryn Ramage

With Beregond accompanying him, Frodo visited the houses of Waldimir and Falnadil the next day, but learned nothing useful from either. Both spoke of what it had been like to serve at the end of Denethor's stewardship--Waldimir, like Broneron, was defiant, and Falnadil contrite--but both also insisted that they had no personal reason to harm Carathir or his son.

The following morning, rather than wait for Beregond to come to the house to continue their questioning, Frodo walked up to the citadel with Gandalf shortly before ten o'clock. He parted from the wizard before the great hall. The councilors were likewise assembling for the morning session, and when Imatibin saw the hobbit standing on the courtyard, he approached him eagerly.

"Frodo! What's this I hear? You and our good Captain Beregond are interrogating those unfortunate councilors who were asked to resign at the beginning of King Elessar's reign?" he asked.

"Yes, that's so," said Frodo, and wondered how Imatibin had heard about it. "Why do you ask?"

"Well... you surely know your own business, but you did say I might offer advice about the city and its people, and so I feel I must speak. I believe you've taken up a false line of inquiry that will lead nowhere. Since you've been ill of late, you wouldn't wish to exert yourself unnecessarily, would you? You ought to direct your inquiries upon more fruitful lines. It is a present member of the council you must look to, not a past one."

"You believe it's Larengar," Frodo replied. "You've made no secret of it."

"No, I haven't," Imatibin agreed unabashedly. "In the pursuit of justice, one must be willing to speak out. Don't you believe that as well, little one? Have you pursued the matter of that quarrel I told you about?"

"As a matter of fact, I have. I've spoken to Larengar, and know all about it. It had to do with Caradan and- ah- his betrothal to Larengar's daughter."

"Is that what he told you?"

"Don't you believe it's true?" Frodo asked back.

"Oh, I've heard some gossip about Caradan's conduct with a maid of the city," Imatibin admitted. "I've no doubt that it's true, and Larengar would certainly be angered by it for his lovely daughter's sake, as any father would. I do doubt that's reason enough for him to kill the youth, or his dear friend Carathir."

Frodo had his doubts as well, but he was surprised to hear Imatibin say so. "It is what they quarreled over--the same quarrel that you witnessed. He's admitted as much."

"I daresay it's what he admits to, but that was not the reason they quarreled."

"You let me think it had to do with Caradan."

"Your pardon, little one, but I didn't hear what they said. I told you as much, didn't I? My brother Erlo and I only heard Caradan's name spoken. I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but I couldn't be more plain. I thought from the first that the quarrel must be over... something else, and you would discover the truth for yourself once you were guided in the right direction."

"What then?" Frodo asked skeptically. He couldn't help wondering if the Man were deliberately misleading him.

"There are other rumors about Carathir, more serious ones than his son's dalliances. The whispers I've heard concern the treasure of the city. Of course, you've learned of the conspiracy in the last days of the old Steward Denethor, of how Carathir and Larengar and other nobles worked for the city's defense."

"Yes."

"Where do you think they found the money to fund their plans?"

"I was told that they spent their own gold for the purpose."

"By whom? Larengar? Or was it Carathir's secretary?" Imatibin laughed. "That secretary's loyalty to his master was faultless, but he still keeps the treasury books."

"Are you suggesting that they stole money from the treasury?" Frodo had never heard any rumors like this before. Could it possibly be true?

"They borrowed it, shall we say?" Imatibin replied smoothly. "It was done in a good cause. Better the riches of Gondor be spent in its last defense than be despoiled by Sauron's armies and carried off to go into his coffers--if such a creature possessed coffers! Carathir surely told the others that the money would be returned once the city was saved, and My Lord Elessar has been most generous in reimbursing all those who paid what was said to be money from their own pockets for the city's aid. If he repaid Carathir, that money somehow never found its way back into the treasury. It was Hilabar who told me of it. Since he desires to be the treasury's keeper, he's looked into the books. He must've told Larengar his suspicions--and as a man of the highest honor, Larengar would want his friend to behave honorably as well."

Frodo didn't know whether or not to believe this story. "So why did they speak of Caradan?"

"I couldn't say. Perhaps Larengar wanted to remind Carathir of his family honor, or asked how his son might feel once he learned the truth--that his well-respected and trusted father was no better than a common thief. And now both father and son are dead..." Then Imatibin turned suddenly to look around himself. Except for the guards stationed at the tunnel's entrance and the White Tower, they were alone on the courtyard. "But I am late for the Council--I must fly."

He swept up the stairs into the great hall, leaving the bewildered hobbit behind.