Poison in the Citadel by Kathryn Ramage

When Frodo opened his eyes, he found himself lying on a bed in a neat and comfortable room at the Houses of Healing, very like the one he'd first awoken in after the end of his Quest. He was not bandaged this time, but he felt dazed and slightly nauseous. A cool, damp cloth had been placed on his brow, and the Master Healer himself was seated at the bedside.

"What happened?" he asked.

The Healer smiled to see him awake. "So far as I can determine, you fainted." Methilde brought in a glass of chalky white liquid, which the Master Healer took from her; with one gentle hand behind Frodo's head to support it, he held the glass to the hobbit's lips. "Drink this, Frodo. It will make you feel better."

The liquid had a heavy and sweet taste, but Frodo swallowed some of it, then sank back down with his head on the pillow. He began to feel a little less dizzy. "Where's Captain Beregond?"

"He's gone to fetch Mithrandir. You've given him quite a fright, but I think you'll be well enough to go home soon. I see no sign of injury upon you, beyond some slight scrapes on the palms of your hands from your fall, and no sign that you've ingested poison, as Beregond feared. Your pupils are not dilated, your breathing is regular and unconstricted, and your heart beats steadily." While he'd been talking, the Healer had taken Frodo's wrist to monitor his pulse. Frodo also now became aware that his shirt and waistcoat were unbuttoned and his chest exposed. "You aren't feverish. Your face is pale, but no more so than it usually is. What color you have is returning to your cheeks now. I think we must therefore look elsewhere for the cause." He released the hobbit's wrist and asked, "Are such bouts of dizziness and fainting a usual symptom of your illness, Frodo? Do you ever have convulsive fits?"

"No, nothing like that. I have my bad turns, nightmares, when I've been upset or I push myself too hard."

"And have you been upset, or pushing too hard?"

It was a frank and impersonal question from a professional healer, which made it easier for Frodo to answer more frankly than he would answer a concerned friend. "Yes, to both, and I haven't been sleeping very well since I came to Minas Tirith. I suppose that's what brought this about. Investigations are always hard on me, but I thought I was up to the long journey and the effort of hunting out a murderer here. So many people wanted me to come. I felt quite well, as well as I ever do, before I began. I wasn't expecting to be seriously ill until the end of this month--on the anniversary of Mordor's destruction, to be precise."

"That day now marks the beginning of our New Year," said the Master Healer. "It is a day of great celebration in the city. I imagine it will be specially important this year, if you are here to attend the festivities. Or will you be too ill?"

"I'm afraid I will," said Frodo. "I'm always at my worst then, and it takes some time afterwards for me to recover my strength. While the celebrations go on, I shall be abed with the curtains drawn."

The Master Healer made a sympathetic noise, and Methilde, who had remained silently standing at the foot of the bed, said, "You poor little thing. Can't we do anything to ease him, Master?"

"Frodo's illness is not one that can be cured," the Master answered solemnly, "for it is not entirely an illness of flesh and blood. There's a dark magic in it, beyond the power of any earthy medicine. I will do all I can for you, Frodo. I'll give you something to help you sleep, and I advise you to rest as much as possible when your investigation does not require you to be up and about. Spend the rest of today and tomorrow abed. When the day arrives, summon me and I will come to you."

"Thank you," said Frodo, though he doubted that these kind people could do anything to help him. There was no escape from that day, which was barely two weeks away now. The anniversary of the Ring's destruction and Sauron's fall was a day of joy for all free peoples of Middle-earth, but not for him.

Gandalf was shown into the room, accompanied by Beregond. Both looked very worried, but grew less alarmed when they saw that Frodo was awake and not obviously sick. "What's happened to him?" Gandalf demanded of the Master Healer. "Has he been harmed?"

"No," answered the Healer, "he's only swooned. He has overexerted himself and needs to rest. You must see that he does."

"I assure you, I intend to," the wizard replied, and regarded Frodo sternly. "I should have done so this morning."

"Yes, you were right, Gandalf," Frodo said meekly. "I shouldn't have gone out."

"I was afraid Broneron had done something to you when you were alone with him," said Beregond.

Frodo had to smile. "Oh, no. He never touched me. He offered me some wine, but I refused it. Do you think I'm silly enough to take any drink given me, when a poisoner's about?" He took another sip of the chalky potion; the taste was rather cloying, but it did help to clear his head. "It's all this dreary rain, and running up and down steep streets--it's taken its toll on me. If you'll give me a moment, I'll be fit to walk home. I promise I'll get right into bed."

"Nonsense," said Gandalf. "You've done enough walking today. Not another step." Once the Master Healer said that Frodo could go, the wizard picked him up and insisted on carrying him home through the streets, sheltered within a fold of his cloak.




Once Gandalf had brought him home, Frodo went straight to bed as promised. His fainting spell had been as exhausting as his nearly sleepless night, for he slept through the afternoon and awoke when Merry knocked on his door and asked if he was hungry. Frodo was ravenous; he hadn't had a bite to eat since breakfast.

His cousin went away to return again a few minutes later, bringing Frodo his dinner on a tray.

"Shall I taste it for you?" Merry joked as he set the tray down on Frodo's bed, and climbed up after it. "I've had mine already--soup from the same pot, bread cut from the same loaf." He tore off a piece of the bread, dipped it into the soup, and popped it into his mouth. "But you never know. I was up at the citadel when Beregond brought us the news. He said you were all right and Gandalf was looking after you, but you can imagine how Strider felt about it. He feels it's all his fault. He's given strict orders that there's to be no more investigating until he's satisfied that you're well enough to continue."

"So has Gandalf," Frodo said as he started on the soup. "It looks as if I'll be stuck in bed for a few days. Even if I've left Sam behind, there are plenty of other people ready to bully me about my health. Between you and Gandalf, Strider, the Queen, and Beregond, even Sam couldn't complain that I wasn't being looked after."

"Somebody's got to look after you, Frodo," Merry responded. "You do such a bad job of it yourself. You never give a thought to food or rest when your mind's on some problem, and you keep things to yourself until you get into such a fret that you fall to pieces over it."

"You know how these murder investigations affect me, Merry. I always get close to a bad turn after awhile. This one's no different-"

"Bosh. And this doesn't have anything to do with the rain and your running up and down the city streets looking for murderers either. I know exactly what's bothering you. It's Sam, isn't it? You were upset over being so far away from him even before you looked into the palantir."

Frodo had to admit that this was true. He'd been missing Sam terribly for days. That vision in the palantir had only made it worse.

"I can see why you don't want to go around telling everybody what's really wrong, but why didn't you tell me?" Merry went on. "You know I would understand, if nobody else does."

"I told Gandalf," Frodo said. "He wasn't at all surprised to hear it. He said he'd knew about me and Sam already."

"Of course he did. He's a wizard. They know everything." But this did not put a halt to Merry's scolding. "But Gandalf's never said you can come sleep in his bed when you're missing Sam. I told you days ago that you were welcome to come to me whenever you were lonely and couldn't sleep. And you haven't been sleeping well, have you, Frodo? You didn't tell me that--Strider did. But did you come? No. You'd rather lie here, miserable and alone, working yourself into a fret."

"I couldn't have come to you night after night, Merry."

"Whyever not?"

"I don't want to disturb you and make a nuisance of myself," Frodo answered diffidently.

"Nuisance!" Merry rolled his eyes and huffed in exasperation. "Honestly, Frodo Baggins, the biggest mystery is how you manage to be the cleverest hobbit in the Shire and the most infuriatingly idiotic one at the same time! Do you really think I mind sharing a bed with you? You're no nuisance. And you're not the only one who gets lonely, you know. I'd be glad of the company. Don't be silly, Frodo. If you need me, I'm right here and ready to help. You've only to ask."

He left Frodo to finish his dinner and ponder his words. It had come as a surprise to Frodo to realize that his cousin's feelings were hurt because his offer of comfort had been scorned.

Later in the evening, when Frodo had settled down to read before taking the medicine the Master Healer had given him to sleep, Merry returned. He'd brought a nightshirt with him and tossed it onto the foot of the bed.

"I've been thinking it over," he announced. "It's no good waiting for you to ask. You'll have to be told--that's how Sam does it, isn't it?"

To Frodo's astonishment, Merry began to undress. "What are you doing?"

"I'm staying here with you tonight, Frodo, whether you like it or not. Sam wouldn't like it if he thought we weren't looking after you properly. If you are getting close to a bad turn, he'd never forgive me if I left you alone. Now scoot over."