The Wrong Girl by Kathryn Ramage

Once explanations were offered, it soon became clear to Paladin and Eglantine that the girl they had taken for Diamond Took was also Diamanta's niece, a first cousin to the real Diamond, and this sort of elaborate joke was commonplace for her. Apologies were made by the contrite Diantha.

While the Tooks had every reason to be furious at the deception played upon them, they were remarkably forgiving. In fact, Eglantine was more kindly disposed to Diantha now that she knew the girl was never intended to be Pippin's bride. When they heard the news, the Took girls had even more to talk about. Dodi and Ferdi seemed to think it a hilarious prank; Pippin was inclined to agree--the imposture only raised his estimation of Di--but he was now faced with another Di, a girl very different from the one he'd grown fond of.

He was polite when his mother insisted he speak to Diamond, but their conversations were limited, not only by the girl's excessive shyness, but because Diamanta kept a protective watch over her niece and chaperoned her carefully. It was rare that Diamond said more than Yes or No in answer to questions, but the Tooks were left the impression that this timid Di was not at all interested in adventures. Diamanta and Eglantine were also careful to keep Diantha away from Pippin and Diamond.

The guests only stayed at the Thain's Hall for three days, a much shorter visit than originally planned, for Diamanta was anxious to see both girls home to Long Cleeve before Diantha caused more mischief. Frodo was also eager to go home to Sam, but he felt he had to see things through and stay by Pippin until the guests had gone. On the morning before their departure, he had a final conversation with Diantha.

"I told you I was Di, didn't I?" she said with a grin. "I wasn't lying."

"No, but you didn't tell all the truth either, Diantha."

She laughed. "Yes, you were right about everything, Smarty-Baggins, and you're pleased with yourself for it, aren't you? But it wasn't only for a prank. I wanted to meet Pippin, just as I said. Diamond's such a little lamb--I want to look out for her, even if she was the tattle-tale who told my father when I went to Bindbole Wood that once. When I heard what Uncle Alamargo said about the Thain's son being unsuitable, I thought I ought to see for myself what kind of husband he'd make for Di."

"And what do you think of Pippin?" Frodo asked her.

"Pippin's a nice boy. I like him a lot, but he won't do for her. She'd never understand the things he told me about Merry. It would shock her if she did."

"It didn't shock you."

"I understood. It's awful to be that much in love, and know that nobody approves."

"Yes, it is," Frodo said softly. Diantha gave him a sharp, curious glance, and he suddenly felt that she saw quite clearly that he wasn't simply referring to Pippin and Merry. "I must say, you have an uncommonly mature outlook for a girl of six-and-twenty... Are you six-and-twenty, Di?" That was Diamond's age; this girl might be older.

"I'm almost eight-and-twenty," she answered proudly. "Almost a big sister to Diamond, and that's why I want what's best for her. I can see that this match is no good--Pip and Diamond will only be unhappy with each other. I don't want her to be unhappy, or him either."

"You think he'd do better as a husband for yourself?"

"Oh, no!" She turned to him, wide-eyed. "You don't understand. You're so clever, Frodo Baggins, and you don't see at all. I don't want to marry Pippin. I won't ever marry anybody. A girl's supposed to want a husband, but I never did." She sighed. "I should've been born a boy--you get to have so much more fun, and nobody's shocked when you do. And maybe I might have married Diamond myself."

Frodo understood.




Later that morning, he stood beside the Tooks and saw the three Dis get into Diamanta's carriage, and waved goodbye as they rode away.

After the carriage had gone out of sight, Eglantine said, "Everything was upset by that other Di, but it was a mistake, I think, to bring Diamond here so soon. She seems like a sweet child, but she's far too young to be considered for such prospects yet. Diamanta can bring her back again in three or four years..." As she made her plans, she took her husband's arm, and they went into the Hall.

Pippin sighed.

"It's all right, isn't it?" Frodo asked, and put an arm around his cousin. "It's over for now. You won't have to bother about Diamond again for years."

"I know," said Pippin. "It's not that. She seems like a nice enough girl, but five years or ten, I wouldn't want to marry her unless she grew up to be more like her cousin. I don't care what Mother says--I liked the other Di better."