Never Leave the Shire Without One by Begora John

Chapter notes: Sam and Frodo come to an understanding.
"Gondor, there's a place I'd never thought our road would take us. I never thought I would want to see it before the Company broke and after I never thought we could survive."

"But we did, and don't you think that's saying something for us Mr Frodo?"

Frodo smiled, taking Sam's hand, "No, it says something for you Samwise Gamgee, I know, and you know that I would never have come this far without you."

"Well I couldn't let you go and give up on yourself now could I? Where would that leave me?"

"Indeed, where would it? I am curious to know. That is not the first time that you have made an ambiguous statement about me, I never had the strength or interest to be overly curious about it before, but now I don't believe I'll let you be until you explain more to me."

Sam coloured, Frodo smiled and sat in the nearest chair, still not feeling entirely stable on his own yet. Sam came and sat on the floor with Frodo's feet lightly grazing the top of his head.

"Well, I suppose I don't rightly know why I said those things, they just sort of come out an' I only realized after what I said, and what it could be thought to mean."

"Hmm, yes, but what did they mean to you?"

"Exactly what they said. I never meant no disrespect an' I never meant to confuse you, I was only trying to help by showing you how much you are needed by someone and that you were not a lost cause."

"Samwise Gamgee I think I will always be a lost cause."

"Not if I'm here to guide you."

"Surely you don't want to be following after me for the rest of your life."

"Nothing would make me happier," whispered Sam, looking up into Frodo's eyes. A look of understanding was shared, and they remained in that position for quite some time, as if reading the contents of the other's soul through the windows of their eyes.

"Where does that leave us now Sam?"

"I don't know."

Frodo slid down off the chair, landing slightly on Sam. "What have we started?"

"Nothin' we didn't want to start."

"Why do things like this happen?"

"I suppose to show us that we can't figure out how things are going to go at all, even though we think we can."

Frodo laid his head on Sam's chest and wrapped his arms around the other hobbit.

"Why didn't you leave when I told you to? I was only trying to save you."

"Because you were trying to save us all and I knew that you needed an anchor so's to speak to keep you grounded, remind you that you had to keep going."

"To come home to you?"

Sam was silent for a moment, "Yes, I suppose I was too selfish to let you go."

Frodo raised his head to peer into Sam's face, "What do we do now."

"Go home, back to the Shire....." Sam broke off, to nuzzle his head against Frodo's. "You know, try to start over again."

"Not without my Sam, that's for sure."

"Is this really so, or have I fallen into dreams again?"

"No, I hope not, I'd hate to wake up into a nightmare again. Would you like to test this?"

Their eyes met, Sam encircled Frodo with his arms, their noses brushed. Frodo tightened his hold on Sam and they let their lips touched lightly.

"What would I do without my Sam?" he whispered against Sam's mouth before he took it into his own.

"I don't rightly know." was the last thing that was said for awhile.