Never Leave the Shire Without One by Begora John

"You were going to leave me." the tone was more sad than angry.

"I was going to leave you all, not just you Sam, I couldn't have asked you all to share in my fate."

"But we were right ready an' willin' all along, you know that Mr. Frodo."

"No, not all of you." Frodo's eyes clouded over and he looked away from Sam. The two were sitting between boulders for their evening's shelter.

"I think I follow your line of thought there, an' it don't bear for you to be thinkin' 'bout it now, what's done is done. None of this was easy on you I'm sure."

"The decision wasn't hard, decisions never seem to be, in Lothlorien I knew what I must do, it was just doing it that was hard."

"Ain't that the way of it though? Decisions kind of just make themselves and then announce themselves to you kind of sudden like."

"Sam, you should go back."

"I'll hear none of that, I'm lucky that I caught you in time."

"Lucky? I'd hardly call going to Mordor luck."

"Nor do I Mr. Frodo, I meant catching you before you went off all by yourself."

"You know Sam, I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

"Aye, but you're not as good at it as I am." The two hobbits glared at one another for a moment as if to back up their statements. It only lasted a moment before Frodo's face softened, and Sam's took on a look of relief.

"Perhaps not." was Frodo's answer, "But you still shouldn't be here."

"And by rights neither should you. Now look Mr. Frodo we can sit here arguin' out the inevitable until all of Middle Earth is run over by orcs, or we can talk about more worthwhile things."

"There you go again, the voice of reason in all this madness." Frodo gave Sam a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek, before leaning his head against Sam's shoulder. Sam shared his cloak with his friend and they sat like that for quite some time.

"Don't you think we ought to be gettin' some sleep now Mr. Frodo?"

"Yes Sam, that would be wise."

"Should we be settin' a watch?"

"No, there's little we could do on our own."

Sam moved to spread his groundsheet on the ground, but Frodo dug his fingers into his shirt sleeve, preventing Sam from moving away. "Don't leave Sam."

"I ain't leavin' Mr. Frodo, I just want to set our camp up proper like."

"There's no need, we're only leaving tomorrow."

"Well that's true," Sam caressed Frodo's face lightly, in a protective gesture. Frodo fixed Sam with his eyes for a moment before Sam had to turn away. "Now then, we'll sleep right here I suppose."

"There's not exactly an inn around the corner." said Frodo, trying to add a touch of humor in his voice, but failing horribly.

"That's all right sir, I don't mind, as long as you're here and you're all right, I don't care where I'm sleeping."

"My goodness Samwise, what in Middle Earth did you mean by that?"