Love Letters: A Frodo Investigates! Mystery by Kathryn Ramage

"Sam, you're wonderful!" Frodo threw both arms around his neck and laughed in delight when Sam told him the story later that evening. Frodo was already in bed by the time Sam returned to Bag End, but Sam had gone to his room to report to him as soon as he'd come in, pausing only to be welcomed home by Rose and assured that she was fine. "Truly a marvel! What would I do without you?"

The praise was gratifying, but Sam knew he didn't deserve it. "I didn't get those letters."

"No, but we have an idea of where they are. When that stable-boy said he'd given them to someone who'd make use of them, he must have meant Rolo Bindbole. I wondered if they wouldn't turn up in his hands all along! Now that we know he has them, we have only to locate him. Perhaps we can offer to pay him more for their return than he'd ask from Mrs. Stillwaters, and recover them before there's a scandal." Frodo sombered. "I only hope it is money he's after, and not revenge. If he can be bought, so much to the good. If he wants to hurt and disgrace her, we may have to resort to more forceful tactics." His eyes went over his lover's face, and the flicker of a smile reappeared. "You don't mind playing the bully, do you, Sam?"

"Not if it's in a good cause," Sam answered.

"Oh, the cause is good. A lady's honor is at stake," Frodo said chivalrously.

"But how're we going to find him?"

"He was just in Frogmorton," Frodo mused. "Did you ask at the Inn, Sam? If Rolo had dealings with the maid and stable-lad, he might very well have been staying there."

Sam gaped at Frodo, and felt like an utter fool. This possibility hadn't occurred to him, even though Jorly had told him that he'd sold the letters that same day. "Frodo, I'm sorry--I never thought of it- Sam Gamgee, you're a pudding-head if ever there was one!"

But Frodo did not seem to be angry at his stupidity. "Never mind, Sam." With one arm loosely around Sam's neck, he wriggled closer to give him a consoling kiss. "We can go back tomorrow to continue our inquiries. Even if Rolo's left Frogmorton, he can't have gotten far. We'll trace him and get those letters yet."

"So I'll go out riding again tomorrow," Sam said dispiritedly.

"Yes," Frodo answered, "but I'll go with you, and at least you are home for tonight." He lay back against the pillows and reached up with his free hand to caress Sam's cheek and bring him down for another kiss. "I've kept count of the days since you've been gone, and I believe this is my night... If you're not too tired after riding around the Shire all day?"

Sam assured him that he wasn't.

After they'd made love, Sam stole quietly out of bed, washed up and put on his clothes. He assumed that Frodo was asleep, but as he tip-toed toward the door, the figure curled under the blankets asked, "Where're you going?"

Caught, Sam explained, "I was thinking I ought to go to Rosie. I didn't want to say anything, since it isn't her night and you were so happy to have me home, but we're done and I haven't seen her in three days neither. I don't want her to feel like she's been forgot. Besides, with the baby on the way, I don't like her being left alone too much. D'you mind awfully, Frodo?"

"No..." Frodo sighed. "I don't mind, Sam. You're quite right--Rosie mustn't feel neglected. Go to her, and I'll see you in the morning."