Love Letters: A Frodo Investigates! Mystery by Kathryn Ramage

They arrived at Brandy Hall in time for dinner. The Brandybucks were surprised, but delighted, to welcome their wayward boys home; there were numerous hugs and kisses from Hilda and Esmeralda, and countless questions from everyone, for they had heard news of the murder at Stillwater Hall and wanted to hear more. Bedrooms were made ready, and extra places were set at the dining-room table.

After dinner, Frodo and Merry went with Ilberic into Saradoc's study. The Master of the Hall heard Ilbie's news that he'd asked Estella to marry him, and she had accepted.

"We all hope you'll give your blessings to it, Father," said Merry. "It's a good match."

"Yes, it certainly is," Saradoc agreed. "Estella's a lovely girl. But it was a match I'd hoped you'd make. I can't say I like the idea of Ilberic encroaching on your prospective bride."

"Encroaching?" Merry echoed with a laugh. "Father, don't be absurd! Estella Bolger's not mine in any way. There's no promise between us--only an arrangement you tried to make and I wouldn't have any part of. She can marry whomever she likes, and if she wants Ilbie, why shouldn't she have him?"

"Ilbie's only thirty--far too young to be anyone's husband yet. In any case, neither he or Doderic should be wed before you are. I won't consider it until then. You won't have Estella? Very well. Plenty of other girls in the Shire, but mind you be quick about it before all the best ones of marriageable age are taken. Girls don't wait forever for husbands, you know."

"None of them need wait for me," Merry retorted. "I don't see why Ilbie should either."

"I think he's right, Uncle," Frodo tried tactfully. "Ilbie's happiness shouldn't depend on forcing Merry into something he doesn't want to do."

"I wouldn't want him to," Ilbie interjected.

"I've seen recently the misery a forced marriage can bring to everyone involved," Frodo continued.

Saradoc laughed, "Arranged matches aren't always so bad as that, Frodo-lad. They don't all end in murder like the Stillwaters."

Frodo's face reddened. "No, but they shouldn't be arranged when the parties aren't at all suited for each other, or when one of them is already in love with someone else."

"You're referring to Pippin Took," said Saradoc. "Merry is still entangled with that boy, isn't he?"

"You know I am," said Merry.

Father and son glared at each other, and Saradoc said, "Frodo, Ilberic, will you please leave us? I wish to speak to Merry alone."

The two young hobbits excused themselves and left the study. "It doesn't look as if it'll go well for me and Estella," Ilbie said once they'd shut the door behind them, "but it looks much worse for Merry."

Frodo went up to his room, the same one he had been given during his last visit to Brandy Hall. After this long, wearying day, he was ready to go to bed, but he wanted to wait up and find out from Merry what had happened between him and his father.

As he entered his room, he heard voices from the little dressing room that adjoined it; while putting away a few things in the chest of drawers, Sam was telling Pippin what it'd been like the first time he'd felt his unborn child move. Frodo reflected that Sam had never told him this story, rarely talked to him about the baby, but Pippin seemed enthralled.

"How wonderful that must've been," he said wistfully. "I think I'd like to be a father too someday. Merry doesn't understand-"

They stopped talking when they realized Frodo had come in.

"What's wrong?" Sam asked him. "What's happened?"

"Didn't Uncle Saradoc give Ilbie and 'Stella his blessing?" asked Pippin.

Frodo shook his head. "He wants them to wait until Merry gets married first, and now Merry's having another quarrel with his father."

Merry came in soon afterwards, flushed and angry.

"It's the worst row we've ever had," he reported. "We both said some awful things we probably shouldn't have, but Father's being ridiculously stubborn! He would be glad to see Ilbie betrothed to Estella if he didn't have the idea that I ought to marry her, or a girl like her. He won't approve until I give in--and I won't!" He began to pace the room; the others had seen Merry in tempers before, but never so upset as this. "Why should he make a mess of their lives just to get at me? It's not fair! And it isn't just Ilbie and Estella. Dodi's sweet on Isalda Took and they'll want to marry soon too. I won't stand in their way. I've had enough of this nonsense! The only thing for me to do is take myself off."

"Off where?" asked Pippin. "You're hardly ever home as it is."

"I'm going back to Gondor. I've been thinking about it for a long time. I said I'd do it often enough, and now I've made up my mind." He turned to Pippin. "You'll come with me, won't you?"

Pippin stared at him and saw that Merry did mean it; he really was going to go. He shook his head apologetically. "Merry, I... can't."

"Can't? Or won't? You'd rather stay here, give in, and do as your family wants?"

"That doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't want to leave the Shire."

Merry stared at him in return, but they were at an impasse. "Then I'll go without you," he said, and whirled to leave the room.

"Merry!" Pippin called after him, then looked desperately to Frodo as if he could do something.

"I'll talk to him," said Frodo, and went after Merry.

By the time Frodo caught up with him, Merry had gone to his own room, pulled open the pack he'd been traveling with, and pulled out half the contents--all the things he wouldn't need for his next journey. He was going through the wardrobe to find the clothes he'd stored away when he'd returned home from the quest and was tossing them onto the bed. He did not turn around as Frodo came in.

"Merry, don't be silly," Frodo pleaded. "Don't fly off in a rage like this. Your father will relent when he sees how strongly you feel."

"No, he won't. He hasn't yet. He won't until after I've gone. It's the only way I'll ever make him understand." Merry turned to stuff the clothes into his pack. "I wish Pip was coming too, but I can't make him if he doesn't want to. If he wants to stay in Tuckborough, let him." He fastened the pack-straps with two fierce jerks. "Let him marry and have babies like any other hobbit. Maybe that's best for him, and I'm doing what's right by leaving him to it."

"Pippin does love you, very much. He'd do nearly anything you asked."

"But not this," Merry replied. "I've asked too much of him. If he won't go, I can't stay for him. I haven't been happy here--you know that, Frodo." He laughed bitterly, but there were tears rolling down his cheeks. "I've hardly lived up to my name lately, have I? Helping you with these investigations has been an adventure, but I want to do something on my own. Perhaps I can, out there in the Big world." He slung the pack over his shoulder and took down his elven cloak from a peg on the back of the wardrobe, then turned to hug Frodo fiercely and give him a swift kiss on the cheek. "Look after Pippin, will you?"

After saying farewells to his family, Merry went to the stable and got his pony. In spite of all protests, he left that same night.

Sam and Frodo sat up with Pippin, who wept through the night. In the morning, he went home to Tuckborough and they returned to Bag End.