Foul Is Fair by MistofStars

Story notes: Text written in this *"..."* means spoken in elfish language, text written in this "#...#" means thoughts!
This story will be split into two chapters. I’ll post the second asap!

Disclaimer: I don’t own the characters, this is all just a beautiful lie. I don’t make money with this.

Comments: Appreciated, if there’s no other way (forum, pm, whatever): please to mist.of.stars@hotmail.com
It was the night Aragorn decided to reveal himself to the world for the first time. Now the moment had finally come in which he had the chance to challenge the great enemy Sauron. He had waited such a long time hidden in the dark shadows, had lived so many years in dangers and fears. The Palantir shone with a dim light in his hand. The globe felt cold and heavy, but suddenly it warmed up and its weight changed every time Aragorn’s will swayed. A little orange light spread itself in the Palantir and no second later He was there- Aragorn could hear His voice inside of his head, speaking as clearly and as sharply as a razor.
The man felt his heart quickening its pace and bravery grew inside of him.
The test was just beginning...

(...)

He saw Arwen’s pale face. Her body lied on a bench, motionless. Hurt filled his heart. Some voice told him what he had feared already: Arwen was dead. Aragorn stepped back as if he had been beaten by some invisible power and the Palantir fell to the floor. The lights in it died all at once. Then Aragorn felt something falling out of his shirtsleeve. The Evenstar fell to the ground and cracked into thousands of tiny pieces.

(...)

Confused and deeply moved Aragorn walked out of the hall. He had no real aim he was heading to; he just strolled around in the palace, trying to clear all the strange and bewildering thoughts in his head. His heart was filled up with grieve and desperation and endless questions. Had Arwen really passed away? Was the destruction of the Evenstar a sign for that... or did it mean something else? Could it mean- Aragorn stopped suddenly and didn’t dare to think this thought. But his heart told him nonetheless that it also could have been an indication that... Arwen had been replaced.

No, he did not want to think that way. It wasn’t that easy. His love had always been true and honourable. The female elf was still an important person to him. And if she had really died...
What was he supposed to do now?

At once he noticed he had walked unknowingly to a deserted balcony, and the moonlight seduced him in its silver beauty to step outside and request the stars for advice. When his footsteps had brought him to the marbled railing he realized he was not alone. A small smile appeared on his lips. He could recognize this familiar scent everywhere and at any time.
A gentle hand touched his shoulder in such a comforting way that Aragorn had to sigh heavily.

“*What bothers you?*”, Legolas asked quietly.

Slowly Aragorn turned around to face him. He didn’t have the strength for conversation. Shock and serious concern reached the elf’s beautiful face. Aragorn hadn’t noticed the tears he had cried until Legolas wiped them tenderly away. Aragorn tried to smile, but he failed. One single question hammered in his head. Why in all the world was Legolas, he of all people, right now here by his side? Was this fate that the elf had come to him in this moment of hopelessness and bitter sorrow?

Legolas’ fingers touched his chest gently.

“Where is the Evenstar?”

Aragorn turned away.

“It’s broken in two.” His voice was nothing more but a hoarse, rough whisper that was filled with unhidden pain. He could not take its sound and it caused even more agony to Legolas to hear the man he loved in such a heartbreaking tone.

Rapidly Aragorn left, and in doing so he left an astonished and confused Legolas behind to find some peace in his own chamber.

(...)

It must have been circa three hours after midnight when Legolas sensed someone walking on the floor. The moon had already progressed in its cycle and everything was very quiet in the white palace of the Kings. A soft knock rang out.

“Come in”, Legolas said in normal loudness, but it sounded awfully roaring when it cut through the former silence. He had already guessed who was coming in, but when he saw Aragorn’s sorry face he was still a bit surprised. Aragorn shut the door carefully and leaned against it, keeping a certain distance between him and the elf. “*Can I stay?*”, he asked quietly and his eyes were sending Legolas a dozen of emotions and longings. His mouth felt dry all at once and his heart pumped faster.
Instead of answering he shifted a bit and made place for Aragorn on his bed.

He watched every of Aragorn’s movements thoughtfully and soon they lied on Legolas’ bed side by side, looking into the other man’s face mutely. Although they were lying in one bed, being madly in love with each other and all alone, there was no need to touch or to speak a word. Their love was far beyond such little pleasures. It was a greater understanding of each other, a greater commitment that couldn’t be expressed in words. Their eyes were fixed upon each other’s and Aragorn’s fingers searched blindly for Legolas’ hand. When he found it their fingers intertwined carefully and Legolas moved closer. Their foreheads were almost touching. Legolas enjoyed the sound of Aragorn’s soft and rhythmical breaths that always lingered on his lips for a while and that carried warmth and desire.
They were both so near to losing themselves in each other, but they also knew ways to temper themselves. They had learned it for so long now, day by day. There had been so few options to be together. Too few.

“*Is Arwen dead?*”, Legolas asked finally in a whisper. He had guessed that something must have been wrong as soon as Aragorn had told him the Evenstar had broken into pieces. Aragorn shut his eyes and leaned his forehead against Legolas’. He heaved a sigh.

“I do not know.”

He felt completely torn in two. On one side there were his duties and his worries about Arwen. And on the other hand there was Legolas and their strong but also fragile and hopeless love for each other. He knew what he wanted. He just didn’t know if he had the right to claim it.

He looked up straight into Legolas’ eyes. It appeared to him that Legolas understood and knew his thoughts without one word being spoken. A compassionate sad smile crawled onto Legolas’ mouth. Aragorn felt tears searching for an escape. Desperation came over him.

“*I don’t know what to do.*” He said with a suffocated voice and no moment later Legolas held him firmly in his arms. And being wrapped in this emphatic safety Aragorn couldn’t help but letting out the misery he felt; more and more sobs came out of his mouth and his whole body was shivering in cruel torment. His fingers captured Legolas’ unbraided soft hair and got lost in it. There was such vulnerability, plain to see and to feel for the both of them. Legolas pulled the crying men closer to his chest and hid his forehead on Aragorn’s shoulder. Sadly he had to confess to himself that he also didn’t know what to do. It seemed like there wouldn’t be an easy way for them.

In this night they had sworn true love to each other. They had confirmed their promises with thousands of kisses and touches. The trembling exited sighs which escaped Legolas’ soft mouth were just another confirmation of the elf’s feelings for Aragorn. They had filled Aragorn’s heart with comfort and bliss. Both of them knew that the next morning could bring death over them because Aragorn had plans to ride to the Black Gate to challenge Sauron one last time. This night could have been the last and so it was full of desperation, hopes and love. A lot of tears and laughers and caresses had been shared and soon Aragorn had been so exhausted that he had fallen asleep in the elf’s arms. Legolas had smiled and had guarded Aragorn’s sleep the whole night long.

Now morning’s light came over them and it didn’t take long until Aragorn sighed and opened his eyes. A tired smile and some yawning escaped his mouth. Legolas smiled back at him and kissed his forehead gently. This last night had been the most intimate night they had experienced so far.
There was pure trust and love that helped them both to survive the coming day.

“Good morrow”, Aragorn mumbled and then he tried to keep his eyes open.

“I had a strange feeling tonight.” Legolas said quietly.
Aragorn gave him an uneasy and concerned look.

“While you were asleep and while I held you in my arms I heard a message in my head, again and again.” He paused for a moment, thinking about the received words.

“What message?” Aragorn whispered. Legolas smiled carefully at him.

“I cried when we kissed for the first time. I shall smile when we’ll kiss the last time.”

Playfully Aragorn touched Legolas’ lips with his thumb and traced their contour tenderly.
“What is that supposed to mean?”

Legolas shrugged.

“I don’t know. It’s just a feeling.”

(...)

The last battle had been fought. They had survived. War was finally over and spring came back to Gondor to reveal a peaceful and beautiful landscape; and the future king returned to Minas Tirith to be crowned. Everything was perfect again, but it couldn’t have been worse for Legolas. Arwen had come to Gondor. She was alive. And she was getting married to Aragorn- tomorrow. The elf knew his desperate feelings were selfish and childish, but it was so hard to forget somebody one truly loved with all one’s mind and heart. It was too much to take. In all his life he hadn’t felt so miserable.

He lay on a bench in one of the palace’s gardens and watched the boughs of the tree above him.
Since the news had arrived Minas Tirith and since he and Aragorn had been informed about Arwen’s coming Legolas had felt sick and really weak. He didn’t want to eat or to speak. All he could do was thinking about Aragorn. The man had left him all alone in his sorrow.

# Elves can die of a broken heart #

Legolas sighed about his own thought. What was he supposed to do now?
There seemed to be nothing he could do.

He observed the oval green leaves above that waved in the soft wind which was blowing. It could not blow away his pain. Again he sighed. This was going nowhere. And it wasn’t ending. Slowly he sat up and looked around in the garden. No one was in sight, he was all alone. Everyone was probably busy with preparing things for the crowning ceremony and the wedding.

Legolas felt tired. He had never felt so tired and exhausted in all his life. Hesitatingly he walked to his own chamber and closed the door behind himself. All he wanted was being alone and getting some rest.

...

The moon shone brightly into the elf’s chamber and the unclouded sky showed a million silvery stars.
Legolas lay there on his bed, dwelling in his cruel heartache. His body was completely motionless and his eyes stared into nothing- if one hadn’t seen all the tears he cried mutely one might have thought he had died. Suddenly the door opened and Aragorn stepped quickly inside. Quietly he shut the door and kneeled down before Legolas’ face. His face showed no expression or feelings.
Legolas didn’t really look him in the eye, he preferred to look right through the man as if he was a ghost.

“Go away. I don’t want to see you.” Legolas whispered with a hoarse voice- the pain had corded up his throat and speaking hurt even more. Desperation reached the immortal the moment he realized that Aragorn wasn’t moving an inch and that he wasn’t responsive to Legolas’ plea. More and more tears found their way on Legolas’ face and he turned his back on Aragorn.

“I came here to tell you that I love you.” The man said quietly and calmly. Legolas narrowed his eyes and he hated himself for that his body trembled violently and that he couldn’t control the heartbreaking sobs that flooded the room. Why was Aragorn saying this? It made Legolas angry and sad at the same time. When Aragorn’s hand touched his shoulder he knew he had to calm down. He took a few deep breaths and sighed.

*“If you really loved me you wouldn’t have left me alone.
If you really loved me you wouldn’t marry her.”*

Aragorn sighed quietly.

“You know that there’s a difference between duties and desires. We can call ourselves lucky if both these things are mingled. But as it is right now I have duties to do. I have responsibilities. You know I can’t change that.”

Yes, Legolas knew. He had known it from the beginning. He had just refused to accept this. It was Aragorn’s destiny to become a king. And who was he to challenge fate? Slowly he turned around again and a small smile appeared on his lips.

“*Do you really love me?*” The elf’s question was glutted with fear, hurt and love. It cut right through Aragorn’s heart and his eyes filled with tears. Gently he stroked away a single strain of Legolas’ golden hair.

“*Don’t question my love, mellon. The Evenstar has broken and Arwen’s still alive. I don’t love her anymore. There’s no one left in my heart but you. You know I never wanted to be a king, and I don’t want to marry her- but I’ve made a promise, a long time ago.*”
A bitter smile appeared on Aragorn’s mouth.

“*You’re all I want and you are the only thing I can’t have.*”

Legolas closed his eyes and nodded. His heart was finally relieved and content. Aragorn’s hand grabbed his softly and the elf placed it right on his heart. It was a good feeling to have Aragorn around again. He felt the warmth of the man’s hand on his chest.

“*You say you love me...*” He started in a whisper. “*But things will always be changing... and the truth can be easily turned.*” He opened his eyes again to search an answer in Aragorn’s serious features. The moon’s light illuminated the man’s face and his blue eyes gleamed in a strange radiance. His skin appeared almost as white and as valuable as marble.

“*Some things will always stay the same.*” Aragorn answered determined. He moved closer towards Legolas face. Their lips were almost touching. Legolas could feel warm breaths on his mouth and excitement pumping within his blood through his whole body.

“*And what about your love, Legolas. Can that be changed so easily as well?*”

Carefully Legolas smiled.

“*No. ‘Tis forever. Until the day I die.*” Legolas meant it.

And Aragorn believed him.

With caution Aragorn sat down beside Legolas’ body and soon his fingers found their way to the unbraided golden hair of the elf. Softly Aragorn stroked through the strains, again and again, and Legolas closed his lids and enjoyed the caresses the man gave him. A strange feeling of lust grew inside of him- he wanted to be together with Aragorn so badly that it almost torn him in two. When Aragorn’s hand finally fondled the elf’s white cheek Legolas put his hand upon Aragorn’s and opened his eyes. Aragorn’s face had come so close by now that Legolas felt his heart pump quicker with every shivering breath he exhaled.

“*I’d love to give myself to you*”, he whispered with a little smile, remembering the words Aragorn had spoken back there in Dunharg. All he wanted was to be one with Aragorn, at least for one single night if it was the only way.

With astonishment and grief Aragorn observed the elf’s face for a few moments. He felt guilty because he knew deep in his heart Legolas was sacrificing himself to him. After all it didn’t felt right to Aragorn to be loved and desired this much, after all the heartache he had caused the elf and because of all the pain he would bring to him in the future, whether he liked it or not.

Slowly he leaned closer and kissed Legolas’ smooth lips shortly. He disengaged again to look into the elf’s face and a little smile was to be seen on his mouth.

“*And I am willed to fulfil your desire, love.*”

And with these words being said their contract had been signed.

Nervousness flooded through their blood and skin and Legolas lay down on his back, longing for Aragorn’s touches and kisses.

“*Come*”, he whispered quietly and Aragorn moved closer, bent over Legolas’ smiling lovely face and kissed him passionately into the pillows. His hands grabbed Legolas’ shoulders and pressed them gently down on the mattress. Legolas blushed and moaned into the man’s mouth. A feeling of a great inner firestorm rushed through his body and made him shiver in a thrilled way. His fingers embraced Aragorn’s hips and pushed roughly into the hard flesh. He wanted Aragorn so badly, it almost hurt.

For a moment Aragorn moved an inch back to breathe fresh air. He smiled down at Legolas and excitement and love shone from his eyes in the night’s light. Legolas mouth felt dry and his body weaker than ever.

# He will break your heart. He’s the reason you will die. # Legolas heard a voice speaking in his head.

With a hesitatingly smile he touched Aragorn’s cheek and pulled him closer for another slow kiss.

# If this is my fate I agree to suffer it. # He replied to the voice in his thoughts and after that he never heard it again.

...

Hungry lips were kissing a flat stomach, saturated by the sighs he received in doing so from the elf’s mouth. Every touch was a wish and every sigh and moan and kiss the answer to it. Aragorn watched Legolas’ with a fond expression in his face as the immortal undressed him gently. Soon both of them were completely naked, but they were longing too much for each other to feel ashamed.

Lips were crushing on lips, meeting like the rough waves of the sea, mingling with each other and rocking forth and back again. Legolas kneeled on the bed, kissing Aragorn who sat right beside him. He felt Aragorn’s hand stroking down his side and a strange feeling of warmth spread inside his stomach. While they were kissing passionately his fingers caressed the man’s cheek and jaw, suddenly pulling him closer to the elf’s body. Legolas noticed the harsh pace of his heart, beating strong against his chest. He shivered. It seemed like he was between safety and fear; Safety because it was his Aragorn who made him feel so desired and restless and wishful; Fear because he had never felt like this, because he didn’t know what was awaiting him.

Slowly he pulled back to inhale the air he was missing. Aragorn opened his eyes gradually and in the moment Legolas looked into them he heard himself gasp and his heart stopped for a second.
He had never seen such a desiring longing gaze in the man’s eyes that expressed so much love and affection. It cut right through his heart, slowly, bitter and oh so sweet. Suddenly all the fear was taken away. Legolas felt like being enchanted and put under a secret spell that only the man knew.

With a tender smile he stroked Aragorn’s face and the man leaned into his touch with a quiet sigh.
Then Legolas sat up and moved a bit so that he sat right on Aragorn’s thighs. He looked down at Aragorn’s face and felt the answering quivering hot breaths that smashed into his face, again and again. They were not touching, but their chests were so close that they could feel the warmth radiating from the other person’s body. Soon they couldn’t stand this near distance anymore and hands were seeking and finding again, mouths whispering confessions of love, lips touching naked skin hungrily.

Finally Legolas moved a bit and slowly he sat down again on the man’s thighs, embracing his fiery warmth with a painful moan. He embraced Aragorn’s body fiercely and his arms seemed to crush the man’s ribs, but Aragorn responded with holding him as tight as possible. He hid his face in the golden hair of the elf, which smelt sweetly and in doing so he felt the first drops of sweat in the neck of the immortal as he breathed heavily against his skin. He felt himself pounding hardly in the beloved body, all the blood rushing into a certain area. His fingernails dug into Legolas’ back and a loud moan escaped both of them, making them both shiver with shock and pleasure.

It didn’t take long and Legolas felt his body relaxing more and more; the pain vanished and turned into sweet thrilling pressure inside of him that made him sigh and moan and beg for more. His lips kissed Aragorn’s, time and time again, and he released his hold a bit.

They started to lose themselves in one another.
Their bodies started to move, aching in the most perfect way.
Hands touched and stroked and were regaled by finding that the other person was still there and that it wasn’t a dream they were put in to.

Legolas moved his hips back and forth in uneven intervals and every time he crashed against Aragorn’s pelvis it was more and more hard to keep his moans under control. The pressure inside and against him grew endlessly and if Aragorn’s hands hadn’t hold his pelvis Legolas might have fallen over.

He felt the man’s body trembling under his; his kisses had stopped a while ago, when it had become too hard to breathe and to kiss at the same time. He searched for Aragorn’s hand and their fingers intertwined immediately, holding each other. This was their night. Their bond had been sealed finally.

All at once Legolas felt a hot wave flooding through his body, overwhelming him completely, and he held Aragorn closely to his chest to have something to hold on to. For a moment he could not see, everything turned black and he heard his suffocated gasp, followed by a lot of moans and frissons of excitement- Aragorn held the elf in his arms while he himself was run over by the strangest of all feelings, too.

And here they were, soaked in each other’s arms, holding on to each other as if the world was ending, as if there was no tomorrow. And, truth being told, they were right to do so, because there would be no dawn for them. No dawn that could bring them any hope or love.
This night would be the first and the last.

While Legolas lay in Aragorn’s arm, who still held him in his sleep, he thought about this, too.
He realized there was no chance, and this idea seemed so completely illogical, because he was lying here, with the man he loved and from whom he knew that he loved him too. But he was holding a body that was not his, and he loved a heart that had never been promised to him.
Chapter end notes: To be continued...