None Now Live Who Remember... by Kathryn Ramage

Sam was up early the next morning, too restless to sleep, nor did he want any breakfast. After he had bathed, he dressed in his best golden-brown coat, which he had brought home from Minas Tirith; his fingers fumbled at the brass buttons, and Frodo did them up for him, then loosely knotted the white stock around his collar, and pronounced him very handsome.

When Merry and Pippin, who had stayed out late the night before, were also out of bed and dressed, the four of them walked together to the Cotton Farm. Tables and benches were set up in the farmyard, ready for the breakfast that would immediately follow the ceremony, and a garland-covered bower had been erected near the orchard gate; behind it, the apple trees were in full, white bloom. The wedding guests had already gathered, and an excited murmur rose as Sam and his companions were sighted in the lane. When they entered the yard, the crowd parted to let the bridegroom pass and walk toward the bower, where Rosie stood waiting for him in her beribboned dress, with a wreath of flowers atop her blonde curls, her face pink, and her eyes shining.

Sam gulped hard and hesitated for an instant, but when Frodo took his arm, he braced himself and went forward to join her.

It was with a jumble of emotions that Frodo stood beside Merry and Pippin, and witnessed as Sam and Rosie promised themselves to each other: He was happy for them both, and wished them joy. He was so very proud of Sam, who did look adorable today. He envied that Rosie could claim Sam as her own before all the Shire as he never could, and no one would speak against them. He was quite sure he'd done the best thing for everyone concerned, and yet there was also a little wistful sadness in his heart as he acknowledged that Sam was no longer entirely his. He felt a pang of longing when he recalled how they had made love last night, and that sharpened when he realized that Sam would be away for a month--a whole month! Had they ever been parted for so long before? And how would their lives change when Sam and Rosie returned?

But he smiled and applauded along with everyone else when the newlyweds kissed for the first time as husband and wife.

After the ceremony, there followed the traditional wedding breakfast, then music and dancing, and the usual nuptial customs. Frodo was touched by how many of the gentry of Hobbiton and Bywater had turned out for the celebration; normally, they would not have attended the wedding of a gardener and a farmer's daughter, but many of them had employed the Gaffer over the years, and had come to know Sam through his assisting in Frodo's investigations. The gentlefolk who knew Sam and liked him had come to see him wed. Even Frodo's own Brandybuck and Took relations who were unable to attend had sent generous gifts that dazzled and overwhelmed the Cotton family. Frodo's present of the honeymoon cottage was likewise dazzling. As Rosie had observed, only the wealthiest hobbits could afford to spend their first weeks or months of marriage in some faraway, secluded place; the country folk simply moved in together the day of the wedding and settled down into married life. The Cottons didn't fully understand Frodo's patronage, but they saw that, by marrying Sam, their Rose was taking a step or two up in hobbit society.

In the late afternoon, the newly married couple prepared to leave for their honeymoon. Rosie gave her friends and family farewell hugs and kisses, and gave Frodo a quick peck on the cheek before she climbed into the pony-cart her parents had given her and Sam for the journey. Sam gave Frodo a fierce hug as well; Frodo clung to him for a moment, and was sorry he couldn't kiss Sam goodbye the way he wanted to. There were too many people around, and all eyes were upon them.

Frodo was misty-eyed when they let go of each other, and he ducked his head so that Sam wouldn't see--but Sam, glancing back one last time as he climbed up beside Rose, did notice. A worried look crossed his face, and Frodo thought that Sam was about to climb down again. He shook his head slightly.

Sam stayed where he was, but continued to look worried. "You'll look after him, won't you?" he asked Merry and Pippin, who had agreed to stay with Frodo while he was away. "Don't let him tire himself out. He's still not well, and won't rest on his own. You've got to make 'm."

"Don't you worry, Sam," Pippin assured him. "We'll take good care of Frodo."

"If he gets into any mischief," Merry added with a grin. "We'll tie him down on the bed until he agrees to behave."

Sam did not find this reassuring.

"It's all right, Sam," Frodo told him. "I'll be fine. Have a wonderful time, both of you, and don't think of me."

With this, Sam took up the reigns and slapped them lightly on the pony's back. The cart moved ahead with a jerk and they rode away amid cheerful shouts of farewell and best wishes, last-minute jokes from Sam's and Rosie's respective brothers, tears from Mrs. Cotton and some of the other ladies, and everybody waving until the pair had gone down the lane and were out of sight.

The party would go on into the evening hours, with more dancing and feasting, but after the newlyweds had gone, Frodo suddenly felt very tired. He made his excuses to the Cottons, and his cousins took him home.