None Now Live Who Remember... by Kathryn Ramage

Sam and Rosie returned at the end of April. Frodo, who'd been counting the days until the end of their honeymoon, had been half-listening for the sound of a pony cart in the lane since the morning. By the afternoon, it became impossible for him to concentrate on his work and instead he waited by the window of the sitting room with a book he didn't read. When he finally heard the creak of wheels and clomp of hooves, he leapt up and went out to stand at the front door. At last, the cart appeared around the curve of the hill and he could see them

They looked very happy together, he observed. Both Rosie and Sam had lost the blushing shyness that had attenuated their courtship. They sat on the bench at the front of the cart with one arm each around the other, smiling and slightly leaning against each other. When the cart stopped at Bag End's gate, Sam jumped down first and helped his wife, placing his hands on her waist, and Rosie put her hands on his shoulders. They continued to embrace even after she was safely on the ground so they could kiss, then stood whispering together, cheek to cheek.

"Sam!" Frodo's voice trembled as he called out. "Welcome home!"

Sam looked up, and beamed at him. "Frodo!" He let go of Rosie, and fumbled indecisively before retrieving their belongings from the back of the cart. Merry and Pippin had also come out by then and went down to help carry the bags up to the house. While the others passed into the house with their burdens, Sam dropped the baggage he carried on the doorstep to give Frodo a hug. "I missed you so much!"

After more welcoming hugs and pats, Sam took the cart and pony back to the Cotton farm. Rosie remained at Bag End rather than go with him; she said she would visit her family in the morning, but she wanted to have dinner ready tonight when her husband returned.

"I've got used to it," she told Frodo, Merry and Pippin as she ransacked the larder, "and you lads probably an't had a decent meal in weeks."

While she made dinner, Rosie told them about the events of her honeymoon fit for public discussion: Sam had fixed up the cottage garden for Mrs. Broombindle and, since they had stabled their pony at the Broombindle farm, they had paid calls on their landlady frequently. They had also gone into Michel Delving to shop and see the sights and hear the news.

"We ran into Mr. Lad and his missus--your cousin, Miss Angelica Baggins, that was--with their new baby," Rosie reported. "What a sweet little lambikin she is! They asked us to dinner one night, and his Mayorship was there. Mr. Whitfoot was ever-so kind. He shook Sam's hand and said 'twas a pleasure to see him again." She turned to Frodo, wide-eyed. "I didn't know Sam was a friend to the Mayor. He never said a word!"

"He assisted Mayor Whitfoot once, on one of our cases. It was an extremely confidential matter," Frodo explained, and Rosie looked very proud.

When Sam returned, Frodo gave them Bilbo's wedding present; their eyes nearly fell out of their heads at the sight of so much gold when he opened the purse and the coins tumbled out into their laps. Rosie insisted that Frodo lock it up again safely right away--the treasure must be saved for "the children."

"Children?" Sam echoed, and regarded his wife with alarm. "Already?"

"Oh, not yet!" Rosie laughed as she gathered the coins into her apron. "But someday soon... And you can be sure we'll be glad of it then."

"It's awful generous of Mr. Bilbo," said Sam, "but however did he know to send it?"

"Gandalf must have told him when he went back to Rivendell," Frodo answered. Then he told Sam about Bilbo's letter and Gandalf's errand.

Sam frowned. "You're not still on about that long-ago Elvish business, are you?"

"As a matter of fact, I am. You said I could continue when I felt up to it, Sam."

"You haven't been running about after this?" Sam turned to Merry and Pippin. "You saw to it he rested, didn't you?" he demanded, as if he would hold them accountable for Frodo's ill health if they hadn't.

"We did as much as we could," Merry answered, "but you know how Frodo is when he's investigating. He hasn't tired himself. It's been quiet here-"

"Except for that night we tore apart the study," added Pippin.

"Tore apart-?" Sam echoed.

"It was nothing, Sam," said Frodo. "I was looking for some books, and it did help me to see things more clearly."

His cousins and Sam looked astonished. "Then you know what happened, Frodo?"

"No, not quite, but I have an idea..."

After dinner and a cozy hour or so in the best parlor, everyone retired to their rooms. Merry and Pippin were staying one last night, but would be going back to Tuckborough in the morning; they understood--Merry had explained to Pippin--that this new household would be difficult enough for Frodo, Sam, and Rosie to settle into without them underfoot. And, after a month, Pippin was eager to go home.

Frodo changed into his nightshirt, and waited. He hadn't said anything to Sam nor Rose; he didn't intend to force the issue tonight. It was, after all, Rosie's first night here, and he wanted to give her time to be comfortable in her new home before they began to live by their agreed-upon arrangement. Nevertheless, he hoped that Sam would come to him, if only to say 'good night.'

At last, there was a tap on the door.

"Come in!" His voice quavered.

Sam entered the room, also in his nightshirt and a new dressing gown. "I told Rose I'd be sleeping here." He sat down on the bed, then flopped back with a loud huff, arms flung wide across the mattress. "We can both use a good night's rest!"

Frodo, recalling old jokes about newlywed couples spending all their time "at it like rabbits," felt his face grow hot.

He perched on the edge of the bed, one foot tucked up beneath himself. This wasn't quite as he'd imagined their reunion, but at least Sam was here with him. They hadn't had a chance for a private talk since Sam had come home. "Tired, Sam?"

"You don't know the half of it! It took us hours getting home today, longer'n it should. The pony cast a shoe outside Waymoot, 'n' I couldn't take it back to the Cottons lame, so we had to find a smithy."

"Is that all? Rosie says that you've been quite busy," Frodo ventured, "gardening, going on visits..."

"Yes, that's right."

"And- um- enjoying your honeymoon?"

Sam chuckled. "That too."

"How- ah- was it?" Frodo asked delicately, not sure exactly what he was asking. He had realized that Sam would bed with Rose once they were married; that was only to be expected, and he thought he wouldn't mind. He didn't want to hear details of their intimacy, like some vulgar, sniggering taproom conversation, but in spite of himself, he had to know. Prior to this, neither he nor Sam had ever been with anyone else. Did Sam's experience with Rose change things between them?

Sam, also uncertain of what Frodo meant, turned his head on the pillow to stare at him. After a minute, he answered, "I was glad we waited, though I don't know as Rosie feels the same about it. And I'm grateful you gave us a place to be by ourselves awhile. After this month alone with her, I feel good 'n' proper married!"

Whatever Frodo had hoped to hear, it was not this. "Then you're happy, Sam?"

"M-hm," Sam affirmed.

"You-" Frodo hesitated over the next question, "Do you want to alter our arrangement?"

Sam lifted himself on one elbow, looking puzzled. "Alter- What?"

"I won't insist on sharing, if you'd rather be with Rosie-"

"No! Is that what's troubling you, Frodo?" He was still staring at Frodo, but puzzled no longer. Then he held out a hand. "Come here."

Frodo went to him, crawling swiftly across the bed. When he held out his hand, Sam took it by the wrist and drew him closer to gaze earnestly into his eyes. "Don't you know how I love you, Frodo? I wouldn't go back on a promise to you. Share, you said, and that's just what we'll do."

Everything was going to be all right. Sam lay down again, pulling Frodo with him. As he fell forward onto Sam's chest, Frodo laughed out loud in relief--then yelped when Sam rolled unexpectedly to press him to the mattress and pin him by the wrists. The next thing Frodo knew, he was being kissed with an energy that belied all claims of tiredness.

While covering his face and throat with kisses, Sam murmured more wonderful things: how glad he was to be home, how much he'd missed Frodo, how much he'd thought of him while he was away. Then he lifted his mouth to whisper near Frodo's ear, "I'll never quit loving you. Nothing in the world'll change that."