Getting Away from It All by Kathryn Ramage

Merry wrote his mother that night, and he and Frodo packed a few things to take with them. They left late the next morning, only notifying the Gamgees and the post office to forward Frodo's mail to Brandy Hall.

"The news will get around soon enough," Frodo said as he locked the front door. "But I don't want the Sackville-Bagginses to think I've abandoned Bag End, and find they've taken up residence when I get back."

They went down to Bagshot Row to leave the house keys with a sullen and suspicious Sam, then were off over the hedge and across the fields.

Frodo seemed much more cheerful once they had put Hobbiton behind them. As they passed into the lane that went around Bywater Pool to meet the main road near Threefarthing Stone, he whistled from time to time and kept so brisk a pace that Merry had to hasten to catch up.

"It's good to see you so happy again," said Merry, somewhat out of breath.

"I haven't been the most pleasant company lately, have I?" Frodo turned back to smile at his cousin, and slowed his steps so they could walk side by side. "Can you blame me, after being shut up in the house for so many days? I've been feeling very restless. More than that, I've felt... oppressed by something. I don't know what. It's almost as if a darkness were closing in around me."

"It was those Sackville-Baggins and all their ugly gossip."

"Perhaps. If it weren't for you, Merry, I think I'd've gone mad sitting alone at Bag End."

"What about that letter of Bilbo's you locked up in the strong-box?" Merry probed. "That's not troubling you, is it?" He had kept a close eye on old Bilbo for many years and had a good idea of what, beyond a farewell note, was in that sealed envelope. He'd hoped all week that Frodo would confide in him about it, but Frodo hadn't said a word since he'd put the envelope away.

Frodo threw him a guarded look, and answered, "I don't see how it could be that. It's hardly been on my mind." After a moment's consideration, he shook his head. "No, it couldn't be that. Well, whatever the cause, I'm free of it now. No worries here! There's nothing but miles of green countryside ahead..."

As they went over the rise of a hill, the main road was visible in the valley ahead of them. Frodo broke into a run down the slope and, when he reached the bottom, vaulted over the gate that marked the end of the lane. Merry raced behind.

At this quick pace, they made very good time and were halfway to Frogmorton before they stopped for a rest. Sprawling beneath a cluster of trees beside the road, they shared some apples and sandwiches from their packs. After he'd eaten, Frodo took his pipe out of his coat pocket and lay flat on his back on the grass.

"It will be like this at Crickhollow," he said musingly as he sent smoke-rings up into the changing leaves overhead. "We'll go for walks in the woods, take a boat out on the river and go fishing. We'll have peace and quiet, and time to ourselves..." His eyes flickered to his cousin. "Merry? When we get to the cottage, are we going to sleep together? I mean-" he blushed rather bashfully, "you know."

Merry laughed. "You picked a funny time to bring it up!" Even though he had shared Frodo's bed this past week, they had done nothing more than some kissing and tentative touching. Frodo seemed reluctant to go farther, and Merry had not pushed him. He was there, after all, to comfort his friend. "I thought you didn't want to?"

"I've changed my mind."

"Why not at Bag End? We had our choice of comfy beds, and the whole house to ourselves to do whatever we wanted."

"I couldn't be comfortable there. I wanted more privacy. Neigh-bors were dropping by at all hours. Besides, if we did it there, Sam would know, and- well- I'd rather he didn't just yet."

Merry nodded. He'd suspected that Sam Gamgee had something to do with Frodo's reluctance. Sam was always around--popping in and out of the house a dozen times a day, patrolling the garden for trespassers, eavesdropping and peeking in the windows while trimming the grass. Spying on them too, Merry was certain.

He wondered what had been between Frodo and the gardener's son. While he'd never given the matter much thought before, he'd assumed that it was the ordinary sort of boys' play, those sex games that everyone got up to in their 'tweens. He'd done the same himself with Pippin, and Folco, and Fatty, Everard, Ferdi, Doderic and his brother Ilberic... well, really, all the male cousins near his own age except Frodo. But it would be just like Frodo to take things too seriously and try to turn a bit of fun into something more!

"You told me that Sam was getting married."

"He is," answered Frodo. "At least, he's sweet on Rosie Cotton, and it's just a matter of time before he asks her. I still don't want him to know about us."

"Oh, he knows already. The way he frowns whenever he sees me, I'm sure he thinks we've been at it like bunnies." Merry thought of how Sam had scowled at him that morning when they'd left off the keys. "Your Sam doesn't approve of me, does he?"

"He doesn't think you're a suitable companion for me. You're a bad influence." Frodo leaned up on one elbow and flashed a smile at his cousin. "He's probably right. Even in Hobbiton, we hear all about the young master at Brandy Hall. You're a naughty one, Merry Brandybuck--wild, reckless, irresponsible," he went on, teasing affectionately. "Always in trouble, and getting poor little Pippin in trouble too."

Merry grinned, unabashed. "And you're the nice one! Everyone's favorite-"

"Not the Sackville-Bagginses."

"Except the abominable Sackville-Bagginses," Merry agreed. "All the aunties dote on you, and Mother, and Uncle Bilbo. You've always been Gandalf's special pet. He's never tried to box your ears!"

"If he's boxed yours, I daresay you were begging for it." Then Frodo sat up and asked him frankly, "Do you really care what Sam Gamgee, or anybody, thinks of you?"

"Only because you do, Frodo."

"I don't!" Frodo insisted. "I've made my own judgment. I think I know you better than anyone else does. After all, we've been friends nearly all our lives, since we were children. You're the closest I have to a brother." He darted in to give Merry a quick, but distinctly non-brotherly kiss. "If I cared what other people thought, I wouldn't have had you by me all this week. I wouldn't be off to Buckland with you now."

He gathered up his pack and slung it over his shoulder. "Come on, Merry. It's only few more miles to Frogmorton--we'll be there before it gets dark."