Gollum's Revenge by Deutzy

Like in Lothlorien, time passed quickly in Rivendell, without the hobbits even noticing. Frodo was still alive, but he was also still unconscious. This worried Merry, Sam and Pippin, but it didn't dawn on them just how long Frodo had been in this unconscious state until the group of elves (and the rest of the remaining fellowship) who had gone to fight Sauron returned, triumphant.

This would have been a time for great celebration – Gimli, Aragorn, Gandalf and Legolas had all returned alive and well, but the fact that Frodo's condition hadn't changed in the slightest made all their hearts heavy. They must have been gone for at least a year or so, and there was no difference to Frodo.

'He's never going to wake up, is he?' Sam asked one day. He was sitting by Frodo's bed while Elrond examined the hobbit.

'These things take time, Master Gamgee.' Elrond said. 'I admit, it doesn't usually take this long for people to heal, but after everything Frodo's been through...' Elrond trailed off.

'So he will wake up?' Pippin asked.

'Eventually, Peregrin, eventually.' Elrond said, looking at the youngest of the four hobbits with a kind expression on his face.




A few days later, Merry was sitting alone with Frodo. Everyone else was either eating or enjoying the glorious summer weather outside.

'They may all leave you, Frodo, but I won't.' Merry said, even though he was almost certain Frodo couldn't hear him.

He surprised himself by what he did next. He sat himself on the edge of Frodo's bed, and bent over the unconscious hobbit, kissing him on the lips. 'I love you, Frodo Baggins, I love you.'

Merry was shocked by the truth behind that. He had never admitted it to anyone, but he did love Frodo – and more than a love between friends. But what was the point, Merry asked himself. Frodo would never be interested in him...

It seemed to be the perfect thing for you and me
Its so ironic you're what I had pictured you to be
But there are facts in our lives
We can never change
Just tell me that you understand and that you feel the same
This perfect romance that I've created in my mind
I'd live a thousand lives
Each one with you right by my side
But yet we find ourselves in a less than perfect circumstance
And so it seems like well never have the chance

Ain't it funny how some feelings you just cant deny
And you cant move on though you try
Ain't it strange when you're feeling things you shouldn't feel
Oh, I wish this could be real
Ain't it funny how a moment could just change your life
And you don't want to face what's wrong or right
Ain't it strange how fate can play a part
In the story of your heart

Sometimes I think that a true love can never be
I just believe that somehow it wasn't meant for me
Life can be cruel in a way that I can't explain
And I don't think that I could face it all again
I barely know you but somehow I know what you're about
A deeper love I found in you, and I no longer doubt
You've touched my heart and it altered every plan I've made
And now I feel that I don't have to be afraid

I locked away my heart
But you just set it free
Emotions I felt
Held me back from what my life should be
I pushed you far away
And you stayed with me
I guess this means
That you and me were meant to be



Merry stood there for a long time, looking at Frodo, and seeing him in a completely new light. It was no longer one of his best friends lying before him, it was his love.




Several more months passed without anything major happening. Gimli left Rivendell to go back to his people, but apart from that life carried on as normal.

Merry was with Frodo when he eventually began to wake. Merry had been sitting on a chair at Frodo's bedside, stroking the elder hobbit's hair, when he was aware of Frodo stirring. One of Frodo's hands moved up to his face, and felt Merry's hand, which he grabbed.

'Frodo?' Merry asked, as Frodo's eyes slowly opened. He blinked several times; his eyes weren't accustomed to the bright light shining in through the many windows.

'Where am I?' Frodo asked.

'You're back in Rivendell.' Merry said. 'We got you back, and Sauron's been defeated.'

'Where's everyone else? Are they dead?'

'Of course not, Frodo. Everyone's here somewhere, Gimli returned to his home, but everyone else is still around.'

'Where's Sam?' Frodo asked.

'I'll find him if you want,' Merry offered. Frodo shook his head. 'No, it's alright... is Bilbo still around?'

'Amazingly, he is. He's been so worried about you, we all have, but he's very old now. We thought the worry might finish him off.'

'Bilbo's strong.' Frodo said, stifling a yawn.

'You can't be tired already, Frodo. You've been asleep for over a year!'

'That long?' Frodo asked disbelievingly.

'That long.' Merry said. 'Look, don't go anywhere, and I'll go and find everyone, alright?'

Frodo nodded, and let go of Merry's hand, who went out of Frodo's room, leaving Frodo alone.

'Go anywhere?' Frodo said to himself. 'And where am I going to go, may I ask?'

Merry, meanwhile, had rushed out the door and straight into Aragorn.

'Strider! Strider! Frodo's woken up!' Merry said, bouncing up and down.

'He's awake?' Aragorn asked. 'This couldn't have happened at a worse time,' he said to himself.

'What couldn't?' Merry asked.

'Come with me, Merry.' Aragorn said, putting an arm around the hobbit and leading him off towards more bedrooms. They reached one, and Aragorn opened the door before leading Merry inside.

Merry knew who's room this was – it was Bilbo's. 'What are we in here for?' Merry asked. He was immediately hushed by Aragorn, who pointed into the room.

Merry looked into the room to see Sam, Pippin and Elrond gathered around the bed. On the bed was Bilbo... dead.




Sam, Merry, Pippin and Aragorn eventually left Bilbo's room, and went back to Frodo. Frodo was still awake, staring out the nearest window.

'Frodo!' Sam and Pippin shouted, running over and throwing their arms around their friend, their sorrows forgotten for the moment.

'It's good to see you awake again.' Aragorn said, standing by the bed with Merry.

'Why do you look so serious, Strider?' Frodo asked, managing to push Sam and Pippin off him.

'Frodo, I know you don't want to hear bad news when you've just woken up, but you need to know this.' Aragorn said. 'Bilbo died... about an hour ago.' He saw the tears appear in Frodo's eyes, and thought he better explain in a bit more detail. 'He was very old and frail, Frodo. He died naturally in his sleep, and was in no pain.'

This did nothing to cheer Frodo, who was now crying into Merry's shoulder, his shoulders shaking.

Merry put an arm around Frodo, wanting to comfort him but not knowing how to.

'I'm sorry, Frodo. I know you would have wanted to see him again.'

'He came to see you nearly every day,' Pippin said.

The crying didn't cease, and after a while, Aragorn, Pippin and Sam left Frodo to grieve in piece. Merry would have gone too, but Frodo wanted someone to stay.




A few days later, Elrond called Aragorn to him. 'I know my daughter gave you her immortality, so she could be with you.'

'I tried to persuade her not to...' Aragorn tried to apologise, but was stopped by Elrond.

'I would have not allowed it, but circumstances change. I know you well, and I know you love my daughter. tried to apologise, but was stopped by Elrond.

'I would have not allowed it, but circumstances change. I know you well, and I know you love my daughter. You have helped to defeat Sauron, and are the heir to the throne of Gondor. I allow you to marry my daughter, and...' Elrond brought out of his pocket a necklace similar to the one Arwen had given Aragorn the last time they had met. 'I, as the leader of Rivendell, give you the immortality of the elves. All I ask is for you to look after my daughter. I will make sure she becomes immortal again.'

'I don't know how to thank you... I...'

'You have done more than enough for me already.'