Gollum's Revenge by Deutzy

Chapter notes: I put a song in this part because I thought that the words suited the atmosphere. No one is supposed to be singing anything!
Aragorn came to Frodo's side, and bent over him. 'He hasn't stopped breathing, Pippin.' He said finally. 'But he hardly is. He's not going to last much longer.'

'How much longer?' Merry asked.

'I can't be certain... a week maybe. It depends how much of a fighter he is...'




A week passed, and everyone's spirits were raised by the fact that Frodo was still alive, and also that the tallest turrets of Rivendell could be seen in the distance.'

'We're nearly there!' Sam said, as he saw the buildings in the distance.

'Did you hear that Frodo, we're nearly there!' Merry said to Frodo, who was in Aragorn's arms. Frodo smiled weakly.

They made good progress that day, and they were much closer to Rivendell by the time they stopped for the night. They all went to sleep quickly, apart from Merry, who was looking after Frodo.

Merry sat at Frodo's side, looking at the sleeping hobbit. 'We're nearly there, Frodo.' Merry said reassuringly, although Frodo was asleep. 'You're going to be all right; you're going to make it there. And when we get there, you can see Bilbo again, and Elrond will be there to heal you.'

He felt a hand on his, and saw Frodo's hand holding his own. Merry gave Frodo's hand a reassuring squeeze, and Frodo slowly opened his eyes.

Merry could immediately tell that something was wrong. Frodo's eyes weren't focused; he was just staring at the sky. He had also begun to make strange gasping noises.

'Frodo? Frodo, are you all right?' Merry asked, already moving to wake Aragorn. 'Strider, Strider, wake up!' Merry half said, half cried, not waiting for an answer from Frodo.

'Wha...' Aragorn muttered sleepily.

'Strider... Frodo's got worse... I think he's going to die!'

Aragorn was immediately wide awake and at Frodo's side. 'Frodo?' Aragorn asked. Frodo just continued to stare into the sky, gasping for air.

'Merry, wake Legolas.' Aragorn ordered.

Merry did as Aragorn asked, not bothering to ask how Legolas could be of any use. Legolas was awake in seconds, and came over to Frodo and Aragorn.

'Legolas,' Aragorn said, not taking his eyes off Frodo. 'You're the fastest here. Get to Rivendell and get Elrond. If Frodo doesn't get help soon, he's dead.'

Legolas sped off without asking any questions. 'Merry, stay at Frodo's side.' Aragorn said. 'I should wake everyone else. Sam especially would want to be with Frodo if and when he dies.'

Merry sat back by Frodo's side, stroking Frodo's hair and face, speaking words of comfort. Before long, Sam and Pippin were at his side. He could also sense Aragorn, Gandalf and Gimli standing behind him.

So tell me how you feel?
Tell me what is going on?
'Cause when all hope is gone... you need a friend

I'll be there for you,
I'll be there to help you through,
Take you to another place... 'cause you got a friend

When you're feeling low
And you're on your own
Got nowhere to go
You've got to pull yourself together

It's alright, anything you wanna
It's alright, leaving all your troubles far behind
Don't let anybody tell you how to live your life
It's alright, no matter what you're feeling
It's alright, you better start believing in yourself
Don't let anybody tell you how to live your life
'Cause it's alright

You've got to understand now
Tomorrow brings a brighter day, the memories will fade away,
And the sun will shine... on you
So many friends you've yet to make
So many hearts you've yet to break
So much love you've got to give
Your whole life's still left to live

Spread your wings and fly
Kiss the pain goodbye
Let the tears run dry
You've got to pull yourself together


Merry lost track of how long he sat there, holding Frodo's hand. Eventually, Frodo's eyes began to close, and they all knew this was the end...

But then they heard horses hooves in the distance. They turned to see three white horses galloping towards them. On one was Legolas, on another was Elrond, and on the third was Arwen, Elrond's daughter.

They all dismounted, and Legolas and Arwen came to stand by Aragorn, Gandalf and Gimli, while Elrond came to Frodo's side, taking a pack from his horse on the way. Sam, Merry and Pippin moved out the way, to let Elrond work.

Again, they all felt as if they had been standing there for hours while Elrond examined Frodo from head to toe, and did several things with various herbs from his pack.

Eventually he turned to the fellowship. 'There is little I can do here. Frodo is very, very ill indeed, and needs to get to Rivendell, where I can do more for him. We must be quick. Arwen, go now and inform the necessary people that Frodo is on his way. Tell them he is in a very bad way, and has just suffered a heart attack.'

Arwen nodded, jumped back on her horse and rose off. 'Who does he still trust?' Elrond asked Aragorn.

'How did you know he was losing his memory?' Pippin asked, amazed.

'I can tell, Peregrin, I can tell. Aragorn?'

'Me and Merry.'

'Then you two will go on the other horse. I will take Frodo on mine.' Elrond said, lifting Frodo from the ground onto his horse. 'Gandalf, lead the rest of them to Rivendell,' Elrond said, before galloping off into the distance, Merry and Aragorn behind him.




Elrond, Frodo, Aragorn and Merry reached Rivendell as the sun began to rise from behind the Misty Mountains in the distance behind them.

They rode through the gates, and dismounted their horses. Aragorn lifted Merry off the horse, while Elrond took Frodo and carried him up to one of the buildings. Merry tried to follow, but was held back by Aragorn.

'Let Elrond do what he must do, Merry.' Aragorn said. It was all too much for Merry, who burst into tears, and buried his face in Aragorn's cloak. Aragorn put his arm comfortingly around Merry's shoulders, tears in his own eyes. He then saw someone come out of the building Frodo had been taken into. Though Aragorn had only seen this particular person once or twice the last time he had been in Rivendell, he knew exactly who it was.

'Hello Bilbo.' Aragorn said as the old hobbit came slowly towards them.

'What's happened to my nephew?' Bilbo asked, a slight coldness in his voice.

'He was attacked by orcs,' Aragorn said. 'There was nothing we could do to stop it from happening.'

'I know, I'm sorry.' Bilbo said. 'But he's all I have... he's like a son to me.'

'I understand, he's in good hands.' Aragorn said.

'What happened to the others?' Bilbo asked.

'They're on their way.' Aragorn said.




The rest of the fellowship arrived that evening, very tired and hungry. They were fed, and led off to rooms where they could sleep. The next day, Elrond held another council.

'Sauron is beginning to lead his army from Mordor.' Elrond said. 'He must be stopped. I have sent messengers to the elves of Lothlorien and Mirkwood, as well as to the men of Gondor. We must create an army to destroy Sauron once and for all. I hope that you will all help in any way possible,' Elrond turned to Merry, Pippin and Sam. 'Even if you can't fight.' He added.

'I will fight.' Aragorn said immediately, standing.

'As will I.' Legolas said, getting up as well. Gimli and Gandalf also pledged their allegiance. All the Rivendell elves present at the council also stood forward, leaving only the three hobbits sitting on the chairs.

'You three,' Elrond said to the hobbits. 'Will stay here with Frodo. Look after him, and stand by him. I will be going to Mordor, but I will leave some elves who are wise in the ways of healing here to look after Frodo.' The hobbits nodded.




Sam, Merry and Pippin were watching a few days later as the army of elves from Rivendell marched off onto the road, along with Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf and Gimli. They said their farewells along with all the members of Rivendell who were staying, mostly the female elves. Arwen spent a long time talking with Aragorn, obviously making sure he would be safe. Finally, the large group marched away from Rivendell, to meet with the elves of Mirkwood. Sam, Merry and Pippin watched as they marched away, a feeling of hope in them. When the fighters returned, Sauron would hopefully be no more...