Odd Goings-On at the Ferndingle Farm by Kathryn Ramage

Merry spent some time talking with Doderic and, out of politeness, couldn't leave Tuckborough without paying his respects to the Tooks. There were quite a lot of Tooks, all of them with news to tell, and everyone wanted to know what he'd been up to lately; like Pippin, they had heard about Frodo's recent investigations and were eager for more information from someone who had been working with him. They were fascinated to hear that Merry was in the midst of helping Frodo with an investigation now. Pippin explained to his parents that he would be away with Merry for a day or two, and then went pack a few things. By then, it was tea-time and of course they had to have a cup and a bite of cake before they could be on their way.

It was nearly dark by the time they arrived at the Inn. Since it was unlikely that they would catch up with Frodo and Sam before nightfall, and since the common room was open for business, the two decided that it would be more sensible to stay in and wait for their friends to come back instead of going out after them. It also seemed like a good idea to have dinner while they waited. The idea seemed even better when it began to rain.

In spite of the rain, the room was soon crowded with local farmers who'd come for their customary half-pints of ale. As Merry and Pippin were finishing their dinner, a young hobbit came in at the door from the stableyard, shaking droplets of water from his cloak; once he took it off, it was obvious that he was not a farmer. His clothes were not the usual homespun and tweeds, but a colorful paisley waistcoat and slightly worn velvet jacket not cut in the usual Shire-fashion. His trousers too were longer than Shire-hobbits wore theirs, and fitted closer around the calves. When he went to the bar to order an ale for himself, his accent sounded odd, but Merry thought he recognized it.

The young hobbit took his ale and turned to look around the room, eyes flickering from face to face as if he were searching for someone in particular. When his gaze fell upon Merry's and Pippin's table, he found that Merry was watching him; their eyes met.

"I was just noticing your clothes. You're not from these parts, are you?" Merry asked in friendly tones. "Are you from Bree?"

The other hobbit shook his head. "From Archet, actually." He came over to their table. "Dorryk Thistlecombe's my name. How d'you do."

"Are you staying at the Inn?" Merry asked after he and Pippin had introduced themselves and invited the newcomer to have a seat.

"No, I'm just passing through," Dorryk answered as he joined them. "You're not regular customers yourselves. I've been by this Inn once or twice before, and never saw you here."

"We're waiting for our friends," said Pippin.

"What a curious coincidence! I'm looking for someone myself, but they don't seem to be in tonight." Dorryk glanced around the room again. "I don't suppose we could be waiting for the same people."

"I'd be surprised," Merry replied. "Our friends have gone to visit one of the local farmers. I hope they haven't been lost in the woods in this rain."

"Maybe we ought to go out to find them?" Pippin cast a dubious look at the water pouring down the common-room windows.

"I wouldn't go into the woods if I were you," Dorryk advised. "They're haunted."

"Haunted?" Pippin squeaked in amazement; Dorryk nodded solemnly.

"What makes you say that?" asked Merry.

"Oh, I haven't seen much myself, but I've heard some frightful tales told in this very room." Their new acquaintance leaned on the table and lowered his voice confidentially. "I don't want to be alarming, but if you'd ask 'em, any farmer here tonight could tell you stories about the goings-on in that wood that'd uncurl the hair on your toes! I certainly wouldn't like to find myself in there after dark."

"But what about Frodo and Sam?" Pippin turned to Merry.

"Your friends? You mustn't worry," Dorryk assured them. "They'll be fine as long as they don't go into the woods at night. I hope the people I'm waiting for have been as wise." He finished his ale, and returned to the bar for another.

"Do you think they're all right?" Pippin asked Merry once they were alone.

"Quite sure," Merry answered; he was watching Dorryk at the bar. "He's trying to frighten us--why, I can't say. Frodo can look after himself. And if he can't, Sam will. They'll be along soon. There's no reason for us to go out."

Pippin accepted this. "So, what do we do 'til they come in? Fancy another half-pint, Merry?"

"No, that's not what I fancy just now." Merry reached across the table and put his hand over Pippin's; his eyes were twinkling. Pippin grinned back. With one thought in both their minds, they rose and went to their room.

Dorryk returned to an empty table.