The Diamond Dilemma by Kathryn Ramage

Frodo had last visited Tuckborough about three months earlier, when he and Thain Paladin had worked together to prepare for his investigation in the Uphill-Took household. He had spent several days with the Thain's family at that time, but everyone was pleased to see him again. He had to hear all their news and see their children, who had grown so much since he'd seen them last. He first visited Pippin's eldest sister Pearl, who lived with her husband Reginard and her father-in-law in the house next to the Thain's Hall, and played with her three little boys, Peveril, Parsival, and Pelagrin. Then he called on Pippin's youngest sister, Peri, who lived in the house on the other side of the Thain's Hall with her husband Ferdi and his parents. Peri and Ferdi had just had their first baby that autumn and named her Periwinkle; Peri wanted to call her Wink for a pet name, "for she can never keep both eyes open," while Ferdi insisted on calling her Little Peri, "since she's the image of her mother--or will be once she has some hair. I'm sure it'll be just the same color."

Once these courtesies had been performed, Frodo returned to the Thain's Hall for tea. He was now quite certain that none of the Tooks here had received news about Diamond's elopement from their relatives in the north; if they had, all three households would be talking of nothing else. As he sat down with the Thain and Lady Eglantine, he felt perfectly safe in asking the casual question, "By the way, where is Pippin? I thought he'd be here somewhere, playing with his nephews and new niece."

"Oh, he dotes on them all," said Eglantine. "Pearl always says Peregrin is wonderful with the boys. I'm sure he'd make a wonderful father himself."

"I'm afraid Pippin's not here," the Thain told Frodo.

"Has he gone to Buckland?" Frodo asked.

"We assume so. He was at home until a few days ago, then he had a letter the day before yesterday and left us rather abruptly. I'm sure he'll be sorry to miss seeing you, Frodo."

"I suppose he'll write me once he gets to Crickhollow. He or Merry usually do."

"I do wish," said Eglantine, "that he would give up this nonsense with Merry Brandybuck and stop making a scandal."

"It's not such a scandal any more, my dear," said Paladin and cast an apologetic eye at Frodo, though of course Frodo had heard this same complaint from Pippin's mother many times before. "There's plenty of time left."

"Yes, but he's not a child any longer," his lady answered. "He's nearly six-and-thirty. People have been remarkably understanding and tolerant, but it's absurd for them to carry on these boys' games so long. It's far more natural for a boy of our son's age to think about girls and marriage. He does so like children, and ought to be thinking about having children of his own. If it weren't for Merry encouraging this outrageous behavior, I feel certain he would give serious consideration to finding a wife."

"We've done all we can for him," said Paladin. "We can't force him to marry a girl he doesn't like--although must I admit, I'd be pleased if he showed signs of liking girls at all. There's only one he's ever seemed to be fond of."

Eglantine made a small sound of distress. "Oh, I'd be overjoyed if he chose any girl in the Shire--any girl, but that one." Frodo knew which girl they were referring to. "I'd almost rather he carry on disgracefully with Merry than see that wild hoyden Diantha Took come into this house as a Thain's Lady." She shuddered at the thought of it.




Frodo didn't stay to dinner at the Thain's Hall. He told the Tooks he was in the middle of an investigation, though he did not elaborate, and must be on his way before nightfall. They had told him all they could, but it was all he needed to know.

When he left the Thain's Hall stable at dusk, he knew exactly where he was going--where he was sure Pippin was most likely to go. That mysterious letter that had summoned him away the day before yesterday was almost certainly from the runaway couple or Diantha, not from Merry. Fond as they were of each other, Frodo doubted a note from Merry would make Pippin leave home suddenly unless there were an emergency in Buckland. And he would have heard if there'd been an emergency in Buckland.

Isigo and the two Dis would have ridden down from Long Cleeve following the main road south around Bindbole Wood and through Oatbarton, passing Threefarthing Stone. Where would Pippin meet them? The obvious meeting place was the Green Hill Inn, which stood at the crossroad of this north/south road and the east-to-west one that led from Tuckborough past the vast Green Hill Wood to end eventually at Bucklebury Ferry. The inn was not within a town; there were only a few cottages around the crossroad and some neighboring farms. Pippin was already a frequent visitor there on his trips to Buckland and the innkeeper was used to strangers stopping for a night or two on their travels.

Frodo rode toward the inn in the gathering gloom. Any hint of warmth in the wintry day had faded with the setting of the sun. A mist lay thick over the land and there was a hushed feeling of expectation in the air, foretelling snow. When he arrived at the inn, he ordered a hot cider and asked the innkeeper, who knew him well, if any travelers were staying there.

"No, Mr. Baggins, not as to say staying," the innkeeper reported. "There was some fine folk, two young gents and a lady, who stopped awhile a day or two past. I'd say the older gent and lady've gone on their journey, but the other gent, no more'n a boy, is a friend o' Mr. Pippin's. They were back again last night for an ale. Yes, that's right--the lad's a Took by the look o' him. You've never seen such red hair! But he's not a Took I ever saw before. I didn't hear his name."

Frodo thanked him, and settled down by the common-room fire with his cider. He could guess who that unknown Took 'lad' was. If Pippin had been here the last two nights with his companion, then they were staying somewhere nearby and would very likely return tonight. He had only to wait.

An hour later, after Frodo had purchased another cider and written a brief letter to Sam for Odonto, saying that he had already discovered promising signs of the young couple's whereabouts, the outer door to the common room opened. Two cloaked and hooded figures came in, bringing a gust of frosty air and a few flakes of snow with them. They stamped their cold feet and tossed back their hoods, and went to the bar to order drinks for themselves.

Frodo was sure now that all his guesses were correct. Here was Pippin, and even among the Tooks, that shock of red hair and splash of freckles across the nose of the 'boy' with him were notable. The pair surely must know where the runaway couple were hiding. If Diantha was here, could Diamond and Isigo be far away?