Greenleaf and Imladris 18. On the Edge of Forever by Eresse

"I will cleave to Elvenkind."

The whispered declaration was akin to an explosion in the rapt stillness. For a moment, none spoke. None could find the words.

Then Legolas unleashed a ringing, joyful cry that jolted everyone out of their dazes. He flung his arms around his friend, torn between laughter and tears. A second later, Elladan threw his arms about Elrohir and hugged him tight. He buried his face in his brother's neck, shoulders heaving visibly.

Elrohir let out a shaky breath. It was done. He could not turn back now. Their tender assault had been more than he could withstand. He could not deny Elladan's wish, could not resist Legolas' plea. Not together.

He looked up to see Elrond before him. He swallowed hard. Never had he seen his father so radiant with joy. Tears streaked down the Elvenlord's cheeks and he did not trouble to still the tremors of relief that wracked his tall form. Elrohir gently freed himself from his brother and friend's joint embrace and went into his father's arms.

"Eru be praised," Elrond murmured as he held his son snugly.

He drew back and planted a tender kiss on Elrohir's temple. Reaching out a hand to Elladan, he drew his older son into his arms as well and caught both twins to his heart.

He glanced over their shoulders at Legolas who looked on with a brilliant smile. Whatever the Mirkwood prince's failings, he had played no small part in securing Elrohir's decision. His desperate entreaty coupled with Elladan's heartfelt pleas had won the future. Elrond owed him that much.

Thank you, ernil neth.

Legolas started as the thought brushed his mind. He nodded at Elrond, his smile gentling.




They told Arwen when evening fell.

She took the news with remarkable composure though they could sense the sorrow that coursed through her. She did not begrudge her brothers their choice. But the surety of the eternal divergence of their paths naturally grieved her.

They assured her they would remain in Middle-earth until her passing. But they did not reveal to her the condition that allowed them to do so past their father's departure. Elrond and his sons were in tacit agreement that she should be spared the knowledge of what could have changed her fate had she but known it long before Aragorn's birth. And so they simply told her that they had been accorded the grace that they might keep her company until she and Aragorn left this world.

"I am glad for you, my brothers," she softly said. "But forgive me if I do not join you tonight. I cannot..." She bit her lip to still its quivering.

"We know, muinthel," Elladan whispered. "We understand."




The brethren kept company with each other until late that night. Slipping into shimmering grey raiment in their shared chamber, they spoke softly of the future, pondered their chosen road.

"Gweniuar, regarding your offer...I thank you for it but there is no need," Elrohir suddenly said.

Elladan looked up warily. "Why do you refuse it?" he asked.

"You belong to Nimeithel. I will not have her share what should be wholly hers."

"But you--"

"I will bind myself to him."

Elladan gazed anxiously at his twin. "You told me he was worth it yet I sensed your doubts these past many days," he said. "'Tis why I made the offer."

"I know. And in truth, I did have doubts," Elrohir admitted.

"What caused them?"

"Something I discovered in Rohan."

Elladan peered at him frowningly. "Rohan?" he repeated. "What new trial is this, gwenneth?"

Elrohir hesitated then quietly told him. Elladan's eyes widened in consternation.

"Are you certain of this?" he demanded.

"I know him well," Elrohir softly said. "But do not let this disturb you further. I have found as much hope in this as I knew sorrow. I need only wait until the time is right."

Elladan sighed. "Ai, is there no end to your travails?" he said dolorously. "Of all the Elves in Arda, I wish you had not chosen him."

"Elladan--"

"You deem him worthy but I cannot be so kind. Not when he causes you so much pain."

"What he does is unwitting. He means me no harm and would denounce himself were he to know what he has wrought."

Elladan shook his head. "Spoken with a lover's forgiving heart," he muttered. "You say it gave you hope. What hope is this?"

'That he may yet open his heart to me."

The older twin pursed his lips then growled: "He had better! Else I swear he shall taste my steel!"

Elrohir laughed softly, touched by his brother's protective ire. He diverted his attention to another matter.

"Did my ears deceive me or did I overhear Grandmother and Ada practically planning your nuptials this morn during the wedding feast?"

Elladan rolled his eyes. "You would think they would know better than to speak of such things before others who know nothing of my affairs!"

Elrohir chuckled. "They are only pleased that you have found your match, gweniuar."

"But they need not hurry me into wedded life!"

Legolas strolled into the chamber on the tail-end of their conversation. He was in a sunny mood and looked amiably from one twin to the other.

"What besets you, Elladan?" he inquired, noting the older twin's rather flushed countenance.

Elrohir beamed welcomingly at him then glanced at his brother.

"He is imagining the delight of a certain Elf maid when she learns of our choice," he smirked. "Mayhap another wedding shall be in the offing sooner than we expect."

Elladan scowled at his twin. "Hush, muindor, you will set Legolas upon me," he said.

"Nay," Legolas grinned. "If you are Nimeithel's chosen one, who am I to gainsay her? I warrant you will make her a good husband and I doubt you will find her wanting as a wife."

Elladan shook his head in exasperation. "First Grandmother, then Ada, and now you two. Why is everyone trying to marry me off?" he groaned.

"Because 'tis the only way to rein in your uncultured ways, gweniaur," Elrohir snickered.

"Uncultured--!" Elladan glared at his twin. "I will seek peace and quiet elsewhere," he growled. "I would have some time to myself before we declare our intention. Without your annoying asides, gwenneth!"

Stalking out with as much dignity as he could muster, Elladan exited the chamber. Legolas and Elrohir shared a merry laugh before the latter resumed fastening his tunic. He was startled when he felt Legolas drape his silvery grey mantle over his shoulders. An instant later, the archer pinned a clasp to the neck of the cloak, the rayed star of the Dunedain.

"Hannon le, Calenlass," Elrohir smiled.

"Nay, 'tis I who should thank you," the archer replied.

"For what?"

"For watching over me from the moment you arrived in Rohan."

"I did nothing more than look out for a shield brother," Elrohir said dismissively.

"Do not deny what you did for me," Legolas chided him gently. "At Pelargir, on the Pelennor, even unto the very gate of Mordor; you were always there, guarding my back, keeping harm at bay."

Elrohir let his breath out at the prince's recitation of his deeds. Finally he said, "You are my best friend and heart's brother, Legolas. That alone would earn you my warrior's pledge of fellowship. But I also know you far more intimately than is deemed seemly for friends or brothers." He hesitated momentarily before pressing on. "I did not expect it but, in the course of our couplings, it seems a bond formed between us though you do not feel it. It impels me to seek your well-being, to protect you if I may."

Legolas stared at him then lowered his eyes guiltily. "I felt it, too," he admitted, flinching at Elrohir's surprised reaction. "But I did not heed it. I chose to protect Aragorn instead." He lifted craven eyes. "I failed you," he said shamefacedly.

"You did not fail me," Elrohir objected. "You did right in protecting Estel. You had sworn yourself to the Company and that meant serving him to the best of your abilities. The fate of Middle-earth lay as much on his survival as it did on the Ring-bearer's success. Frodo ensured the present; Estel, the future. Had I died on the Fields of the Pelennor or before the Black Gate, the tides of destiny would not have changed their course one way or the other. My life or death would not have mattered in the least."

He had meant to be reassuring to the archer, to show him his actions had not been wrong. But his words triggered a sudden vision that filled Legolas with dread.

He saw the Elf-knight, cradled limply in his arms, his face ashen, his lips near-blue and still, his lids lowered with awful finality. He drew in a shuddering breath, turned horrified eyes on his friend.

"Legolas, what ails you?" Elrohir exclaimed, reaching out a hand as the prince seemed to reel from some unseen blow.

"Would not have mattered?" Legolas gasped incredulously. "You belittle yourself, Elrohir!" He raised a shaking hand to his suddenly chilled temple. "Had you died on the battlefield due to my negligence of our oaths, I—"

Elrohir's perplexed, wide-eyed reaction brought him up short. He struggled to regain his composure. Unbidden, his conversation with Gimli in Rohan came back to him.

Swallowing hard, he said, "'Tis only now that I realize how much I have always relied on you, gwador. Had you died, I would have been bereft, set adrift and lost." He took Elrohir's hand and gripped it tightly. "You are my strength, Elrohir, my haven. I would not know what to do with myself should I ever lose you."

Elrohir stared at him, astonished by the fervor of his declaration. Something indefinable flickered in his eyes.

"Let go of your fear, ernilen," he said soothingly. "I am here, I am with you. And now that Elladan and I have made our choice, I will always be here for you. Always, Calenlass."

He smiled comfortingly at the still troubled archer. Gazing into the tender, steadfast grey pools, Legolas felt his spirit calm and his fear diminish.

"Then let us go and make certain that your choice is made true," he softly urged.

Elrohir nodded, his smile still reaching out to his friend in affection and succor. Together, they left the chamber and went to join Elladan and the others.




Few mortal eyes marked the gathering of Edhil at the foot of Mindolluin. When Arwen had made her choice, it had been voiced in the bossom of her family alone for the consequences of her decision were so grievous to them that it did not bear being witnessd by others. But for the brethren, there would be no such secrecy. Their decision was cause for joy and celebration amongst the Firstborn and every Elf in Minas Tirith came forth for the occasion.

All garbed in grey, more elven than ever before, they could scarcely be discerned in the dark as they made their way to the appointed place. The few humans who did espy them found themselves uncertain if their eyes told them true. For why would anyone venture forth in the deeps of the night when all should be preparing for repose?

While all the other Elves gathered in a semi-circle behind them, the twins stepped into the space made for them before Gandalf. On either side of the wizard stood Elrond and Galadriel. Directly to the brethren's left Glorfindel and Erestor waited while to the twins' right, Celeborn and Legolas held their ground. Behind them stood those of Elrond's household who had come to Minas Tirith--Lindir, Almariel and Gildor Inglorion.

Elladan and Elrohir understood the significance of Elrond, Gandalf and Galadriel standing three abreast before them. They were the Keepers of the Rings wrought by Celebrimbor. Few were aware that their father and grandmother had long guarded two of them. Even fewer knew that Mithrandir held the third.

Silence descended on the gathering as Gandalf addressed the brothers.

"You must be certain of your decision for there will be no repenting of it once it is declared," he told them.

Elladan quickly glanced at his twin then looked to their father. Elrond was careful to keep his demeanor as still and impassive as possible before so many other Elves. Nevertheless, he could not completely conceal his anxiety that his younger son might yet change his mind at this last moment.

Elrohir turned his head to look at Legolas. Unlike the Lord of Rivendell, the prince of Mirkwood did not hide his thoughts or feelings. They were plainly visible on his face. His eyes pleaded for what he could not say out loud.

Silently and irrevocably, a heart was pledged, a spirit bound.

Elrohir drew in his breath and and said, "I stand by my choice. I will cleave to Elvenkind."

He did not miss the archer's expression of intense relief. He smiled at his friend then turned to look at his twin.

Elladan's answering smile was touched by melancholy. He knew what Elrohir had done, saw the evidence in the Elf-knight's eyes. He let love and comfort flow towards his brother as he said: "I choose as you do, gwanunig nîn. I, too, will be of the Edhil."

There was a discernable sigh amongst the other Elves, not least from Elrond. Forgetful of his obligation to maintain a dignified mien, the Elvenlord was smiling unabashedly, his joy at gaining his sons for eternity getting the better of him.

Gandalf gestured to the brethren and gravely said: "As you have chosen so must you now declare it to the Valar."

The twins looked skyward to the stars, conscious of other presences that were intangible yet oh-so ancient and powerful. The breeze suddenly died down and the night became wrapped in stillness.

Elladan spoke first. "Hearken to us, almighty Valar. Before thy thrones we present our plea. As is our right and duty, we lay our choice before thee."

Elrohir continued. "O Lords of the West, we claim our Edhil heritage and the privilege to make our eternal abode in Elvenhome amongst our kin."

"Manwë Sulimo, King of Arda, receive us."

"Elbereth, Lady of the Stars, we ask for thy blessings."

Elrond solemnly intoned: "I pass the mantle of stewardship over my sons' fates to those with whom they wouldst be bound."

Legolas looked sharply at the Lord of Rivendell, surprised at his words. They held true for Elladan but he could not help wondering how they could apply to Elrohir. But when Gandalf spoke, his pronouncement proved an even greater distraction.

"Elladan and Elrohir, sons of Elrond, seed of Luthien, Idril and Eärendil, thou hast chosen to join thy fates to the Firstborn," the wizard said. "For as long as they to whom thou wouldst bind thyselves remain in Middle-earth thou shalt possess the life of the Eldar. But when they depart these shores, thou shalt depart with them to make thy homes in Valinor evermore. Dost thou pledge thyselves to this?"

"We do," the twins said in unison.

As they finished speaking, one star suddenly shone brightly, piercing the blackness of the night sky with unwonted brilliance.

"'Tis Grandfather," Elladan whispered in awe.

Elrond smiled as he, too, looked skyward. "Aye. He is well pleased with your choice."

As if to emphasize his words, the sky was suddenly set ablaze as all the constellations and countless other stars seemed to shine their brightest. All over Gondor, the wonder of this night was noted and would be remembered long after the last of the Eldar departed Middle-earth's shores. But only the Firstborn knew that this strange occurence portended something momentous for one or some of their own.

Looking out from their bedchamber, the King and Queen of Gondor joined hands and stared at the brilliant sky. Aragorn did not know of his foster brothers' plans for that evening and so did not perceive the reason for the phenomenon he beheld. But at his side, Arwen trembled with mingled awe and sorrow for she understood the significance of this emphatic outpouring of light.

As the stars' brightness slowly began to wane, the twins sensed the change in themselves. It was as if a part of them had been drained away only to be filled once more with something else. The elven fire at their core kindled to its fullest even as their mortal essence slipped away.

"It is done," Gandalf pronounced, now beaming broadly.

Elrond promptly dropped all pretence of dignity and restraint and drew both his sons into a tight, heartfelt embrace before they were swept into likewise loving hugs by Celeborn and Galadriel. Elrohir gasped as Legolas caught him to himself with almost back-breaking fervor. The prince's joyful countenance was all that was needed to eliminate whatever doubts the younger twin may still have harbored.

After Legolas released him, Elrond came back to his side and murmured: "Take heart, my valiant Elf-knight. Your reward will come to you. And if I and all who know me as their lord must prostrate ourselves before the Powers in Aman on your behalf, by my father's light, I swear it shall be done."

Elrohir managed a smile. "That should be a sight to behold, Ada," he replied with a trace of humor. "A pity Elladan and I will not be able to witness it."

Elladan chuckled and, throwing a comradely arm about Elrohir's shoulders, pressed his forehead against his twin's.




Arwen continued to stare at the fading brilliance of the stars, her face frozen. Her husband regarded her with curiosity. Only when the tears trickled down her cheeks did he realize that something grieved her.

"My love, what troubles you?" he exclaimed, taking her into his arms.

Arwen leaned her head on his shoulder, seeking comfort in his strength. "Elladan and Elrohir have made their choice," she whispered.

Aragorn started. "Their choice?" He looked up at the skies once more. The stars were almost back to normal. "Then this display of light—"

"Was in acceptance and blessing of it."

Aragorn fell silent for a while. He stroked his wife's hair consolingly. "They have chosen to be of Elvenkind."

"Aye" She looked up at the King. "I rejoice for them for I have always felt their fates lay in Aman and not in Middle-earth. But I also grieve for I am now truly sundered from my family."

Aragorn looked at her somberly. He drew a deep breath. "Do you then regret your decision?'

Arwen smiled through her tears. "Nay, that I would never do. My place is with you, Estel. As my brothers' are with the Firstborn and those who hold their hearts."

Her husband nodded in understanding. "They did it for Adar and your mother who awaits you all in Elvenhome. Nimeithel as well had a role in this, I suppose."

"And Legolas," Arwen softly said.

"Legolas?" Aragorn responded in some surprise. "Think you he had much influence on their decision?"

"On Elrohir's decision," the Queen said. "He told me that Legolas was greatly distressed when he first learned of the choice of the Peredhil. He pleaded even then with my brother not to forsake their friendship. And knowing Legolas, he would have renewed his plea this very day. Elrohir has seldom found the wherewithal to deny Legolas anything. You know how much he cherishes him."

Aragorn sighed, nodding. "Will they go with Adar when he departs for the West?"

Arwen shook her head. "They have been permitted to stay on for the duration of your reign, Estel."

Aragorn smiled fondly. "I am glad to hear that, meleth nîn. Life would not be as interesting without the twins to enliven it."
Chapter end notes: ernil neth - young prince
muinthel - sister
gweniuar - older twin
gwenneth - younger twin
muindor - brother
gwanunig nîn - my twin
Ada, Adar - Papa, Father
Calenlass - Greenleaf (Elrohir's pet name for Legolas)
gwador - sworn brother
ernilen - my prince
meleth nîn - my love