Greenleaf and Imladris 2. With Friends Like These by Eresse

All to soon, or so it seemed to the woodland prince, summer passed into autumn. Elrond and Celebrian finally came home to the relief of their now thoroughly harassed household.

A radiant Arwen, obviously exhilerated by her first journey out of the valley, launched herself into her brothers' arms as soon as she was set down from Elrond's lap.

"'Adan! 'Rohir! Did you miss me?" she cried, hugging each fiercely in turn.

"Of course, we missed you, thel neth," Elrohir murmured against her fragrant tresses. "And you? Did you miss us?"

She pouted a little petulantly at them. "You should have come to Lorien," she said. "It would have been more fun."

"You know why we stayed behind, pen mell," Elladan said, taking her into his arms.

"We could have taken 'Las with us," she pointed out with innocent sagacity. "He would have enjoyed it."

Legolas chuckled. "I'm sure I would have," he agreed. "Mayhap next time."

Arwen giggled then wriggled out of the older twin's arms. Dashing back to Celebrian she soon returned with a quiver full of arrows and a Lorien bow fashioned just for her size and age. The three lordlings chuckled appreciatively; the attention to detail was amazing considering the smallness of the articles.

"Grandfather and Grandmother gave it to me!" she announced. "I practiced with them every day."

"Then you must be a fearsome archer by now," Elladan grinned.

Arwen took him at his word. "Oh, yes, the very best," she said, nodding enthusiastically. It was all the three could do to stifle their laughter.

"You must show us your skill before Legolas returns home," Elrohir told her.

Arwen stared frowningly at the prince. "You are going?" she scowled. "

"I have been here far longer than expected," Legolas said. "'Tis time for me to return to Eryn Galen."

Arwen pursed her dainty lips. "But you must wait until 'Adan and 'Rohir's begetting day," she suggested suddenly.

The twins started at her words. "By Elbereth, I hadn't thought of that," Elrohir commented. He glanced at Legolas. "She's right, Calenlass, you must stay for that. 'Tis only a few days more after all."

Legolas beamed, glad of an excuse to extend his visit if even for a few more days. "It will be my pleasure," he replied.

With the Lord and Lady of Rivendell back, peace reigned once more though admittedly in fits and starts. Even their parents' presence could not repress the irrepressible twins for any decent length of time. But something else served to dampen the young Elves' usual exuberance. They remained all too conscious of the swift passage of time and the separation it heralded.




The twins chose to celebrate their shared begetting day with a picnic by the cascades. It was a merry occasion and one marked by the renewal of closeness amongst family and friends as the brethren had intended. Mellowed by good food and and an abundance of wine, even the various victims of their antics found the wherewithal to forgive though probably not forget.

Legolas grinned as Arwen squirmed impatiently on Elladan's lap.

Brother and sister sat by the river bank, Elladan leaning slightly against a large boulder. A little to their right, Glorfindel sparred with Heledir, showing him a few tricks picked up during his days in ancient Gondolin. Beyond them, Mithrael kept company with Lindir as they raptly watched Elrond and Erestor engage in a masterful game of Strategy. Higher up the bank, a safe distance away from the water, beneath the same spreading willow Legolas had lounged under several days earlier, Iorwen and Almariel watched over the still considerable remains of the bountiful meal the former had spread out earlier. Every so often, they would dispense refreshments to any who needed added sustenance.

"Do be still, Arwen" the older twin reproved. "You only make it more difficult for Elrohir to finish soonest."

Elrohir chuckled even as he continued to sketch his siblings. "If you do not stop moving so much, I will make you look like a little orc, thel neth," he teased.

Arwen's eyes widened indignantly. "You wouldn't," she declared. Then less certainly, she looked up at Elladan and said: "Would he?"

Elladan snickered. "You know very well how capable he is of doing anything," he pointed out. "So if you do not wish to come out looking like one of those foul creatures, you had best behave."

Arwen pouted but settled down into relative stillness. Mercifully, at least in her opinion, Elrohir soon finished his work and handed it to a smiling Celebrian.

"'Tis very well done, gwenneth," she said with maternal pride. "You could very well be a fine artist if only you practiced more diligently."

Elrohir shook his head with a scapegrace grin. "I fear an artist's life would not suit me, Nana," he replied. "'Twould be much too tame for my taste."

Celebrian laughed softly and stroked his cheek with her knuckles. "Ah, roch neth nîn," she murmured. "Do not forget that the hand that wields a sword can also create things of great beauty." She glanced tenderly in her husband's direction. "Witness your father's many talents."

Elrohir blushed. "I did not mean to belittle artists or the lives they lead," he earnestly said. "I only meant that I cannot sit still long enough to create anything more exacting or requiring more of my time than a simple sketch."

Elladan guffawed. "That is understatement," he commented.

Legolas smiled but did not laugh. Instead, he sighed, besieged by mixed feelings. The twins' begetting day had arrived all too soon and was now passing too quickly for his liking. Whether he wished it or not, he was perforce compelled to turn his thoughts to the journey back to Greenwood.

"Why, Legolas, what troubles you?" Celebrian softly inquired.

The prince flushed, embarrassed she should have noticed his gloom. "'Tis only that I must return home and I..." he bit his lip and glanced at the twins. Both were regarding him with understanding and empathy.

"You do not wish to go just yet," Celebrian gently finished for him.

The prince nodded. "'Tis not that I do not love Eryn Galen," he hastily clarified. "But Imladris is more beautiful and wondrous than I ever imagined or expected. I have enjoyed myself so much that I am loath to leave this all behind."

Celebrian smiled. "Is it Imladris that so enthralls you or its sons?" she suggested. "Because if 'tis the latter, then any place in Arda will be as wondrous so long as you are in their company."

Legolas stared at her, startled at the thought. At length, he drew a deep breath and said: "You are right, my lady. 'Tis the friendship I have found with your sons that tempts me to stay."

"Then take with you as many memories as you can gather, prince of Greenwood," the lady said. "They will bring comfort to you until such time when you can all be together again. And knowing these sons of mine, it will be sooner than late I dare say," she ended on an amused note.

Her words brought a measure of comfort to the forest prince at least for a while. But his spirits drooped once more and continued to do so as his day of departure loomed ever closer. On the eve of his leavetaking, he was hard-pressed to put on a smiling countenance, so reluctant was he to end his stay in the vale.

It was a pensive young prince who came out to the courtyard the following morning where his friends and warriors awaited him. Elrohir took one look at his far from happy countenance and slipped his fingers under the archer's lowered chin to make him look up and meet his eyes.

"Cheer up, Calenlass," he soothed. "We will not be parted overlong. As soon as can be, we will go to you."

"But how many years must pass before that happens?" Legolas asked woefully. "You cannot spend every summer in Eryn Galen nor can I come here as oft as I would."

Elladan smiled. "The years pass swiftly for our kind, as you very well know, ernil taur. And as for awaiting several summers, we may visit you next spring instead."

The azure eyes lighted up. "Truly?" he queried hopefully. "Can Lord Elrond spare you so soon?"

"Aye, he can," Elrohir affirmed. "We asked him this as soon as he and Naneth arrived. He knows how much we cherish you, Legolas."

The prince beamed with pleasure at this heartfelt admission of affection. "Then I shall look forward to this winter's end and hope to see you riding down the path to my father's halls come next year's spring."

As always, he hugged each of the twins, then mounted his steed. With a last wave to the brethren, he led his people from the courtyard and onto the track out of the valley. Elladan and Elrohir remained where they were, watching their friend until the entire party disappeared from sight. Both sighed and turned to enter the house. Only to yelp in unison when a bucketful of icy water was suddenly unloaded on them, leaving them stunned and drenched. A peal of piping laughter pierced the quiet and a small figure darted back into the house.

"Arwen!"

On that growling duet, Elrond's sons raced after their only sister. Watching from a safe distance, Erestor nodded his head approvingly at his companion.

"You were right, Glorfindel. 'Tis amazing what an Elfling will do when pointed in the right direction."
Chapter end notes: thel neth - younger sister
roch neth nîn - my colt
Nana - Mama