Greenleaf and Imladris 1. Meldir: At First Sight by Eresse

The day before the departure of Elrond's entourage opened with a glorious sunrise. But three young Elves were unusually subdued despite the day's bright promise. Neither Elladan, Elrohir nor Legolas paid much attention to the fine weather, the preparations for the night's festivities or the flirtations that by now had reached a frantic crescendo as the twins' imminent departure drew closer. None of the three had much heart for merry-making when the morrow portended something none of them desired. Such was the friendship that now bound them together.

Nevertheless, their naturally ebullient spirits could not be kept down for long and as the day passed, they found the energy and enthusiasm to pull off a flurry of last-minute pranks. Targetting in particular Elves they had reason to dislike, their schemes signalled the end of the respite Thranduil's household had enjoyed for the briefest time. Not a few hapless Elves began to count the hours and minutes until they should be granted a more lasting peace.

Late in the afternoon, the twins finally retreated to their chamber to prepare for the farewell feast much to the relief of their various victims, both past and intended. Within the sanctum of their room, raven tresses were formally bound and plaited whilst a pair of lissome torsos and well-shaped limbs waited to be poured into near-gossamer undertunics, thick but finely woven hose and light, ankle-high shoes, all in scrumptious shades of silver and grey.

Elladan glanced at his brother as the latter finished braiding his hair, a speculative gleam in his slate blue eyes.

"Well, what have you to say of our stay here?" he queried.

Elrohir smiled. "It has been a most interesting visit," he replied. "I look forward to many more in the years to come."

"And Legolas? What have you to say about our friend?"

The younger twin looked at him in surpise. "He is quick-witted, warm-hearted and valiant of spirit," he enumerated. At Elladan's unsatisfied expression, he asked in perplexity, "What else would you have me say?"

"That he is comely besides."

"Aye, he is," Elrohir agreed. "Indeed, he will be beautiful when he attains his full growth."

"Ah, so you have noticed," Elladan now grinned.

Elrohir regarded his brother curiously. "One can hardly ignore such fairness," he said. "What is your point, gweniuar? Are you thinking of pursuing him?"

"Nay, but I thought you would," Elladan rejoined.

Elrohir blinked in surprise. "Why?" he asked. "What led you to believe me interested?"

"Your unusual regard for him," the older twin explained. "'Tis not your habit to be enamored of anyone before you have known them long. I thought you were perhaps drawn to him in more ways than one."

Elrohir snorted. "That is absolutely out of the question, Elladan," he protested. "He is our friend. Besides, even were I inclined to woo him, which I am not, mind you, we have been cautioned against approaching the men of this kingdom. And have you forgotten Glorfindel's scolding already?"

Elladan chuckled. "Nay, I have not forgotten. But you can be quite tenacious when you desire something. I would not put it past you to flout tradition or good sense to attain what you want. I am not insisting that you will indeed go after him," he added when Elrohir started to protest. "I am only reminding you of your wont."

The younger twin shook his head. "Be that as it may, I am not about to undo this alliance Adar has secured so ardently just to slake my lust for an Elf even if he be a prince. Not that I do lust for him," the Elf-knight hastily added at the renewed gleam in his twin's wickedly sparkling eyes.

Elladan guffawed at his brother's discomfiture. "Calm down, gwenneth," he snickered. "I was only teasing you."

"I should hope so!" Elrohir retorted. "You will land us both in trouble with your imprudent talk."

"Since when did you care?"

"Since now." The younger twin turned serious. "For all our pleasure in this visit, that was never the main reason for our coming here. Adar is right. This alliance is of the utmost importance though we do not feel the need for it just yet."

Elladan looked at his brother wonderingly. "You are introspective this morn, Elrohir," he commented.

"I only ponder the courage of Thranduil's people," Elrohir countered. "Imagine what it must be like for these folk to have lived here all these ages without certitude of life and limb." He shook his head in admiration. "Imladris is sheltered in comparison with Vilya to protect it."

"Aye, that is true," Elladan had to agree. He smiled and clapped a hand on his twin's shoulder. "Forget my jesting, Elrohir. As you said, Legolas is our friend and 'twas discourteous of me to have bandied his name in such a loose manner. Elbereth forbid he ever finds out what I said!"

"Do not worry," Elrohir grinned. "My lips are sealed."

A knock on the door cut their conversation short. A moment later, the subject of their discussion walked in followed by a nervous Mithrael. The latter carried in his arms two robes of sumptuous fabric and outstanding embroidery. Legolas lifted one and held it up for the twins' inspection.

"I trust 'tis what you wanted?" he grinned.

The brethren grinned back.

"'Tis perfect," Elrohir replied.




The farewell feast was a sharp contrast to the first night dinner that welcomed the Rivendell party to the Greenwood; for this evening's festivities, strict formality was observed and every Elf present, man or woman, was arrayed accordingly. Not unexpectedly, the Rivendell Elves stood out distinctly due to their heavier, floor-length robes. Therefore, it was quite a jolt for everyone when the twins made their appearance with Legolas preceding them. Even Celebrian who had personally prepared their wardrobe was taken by surprise when she laid eyes on her sons and the prince.

Legolas was stunning, garbed as he was in aquamarine and gold. But even more than just mere physical beauty, there was air about him that made him look, well, different. There was a sensuality to his natural grace that had not been there previously. His own parents and brothers had to take a second look to confirm that it was indeed him.

"Are my eyes deceiving me or has he suddenly grown--alluring?" Ithilwen whispered to her lord and husband.

"He has grown alluring," Thranduil assured her.

"But how? When?" the queen murmured in puzzlement. "It seems like only yesterday that he was so innocent."

"I warrant it has to do with being in company with Elrond's sons," the king replied wryly, reminded that he had kept some of the twins' exploits from his wife's knowledge. "The incident in the healing rooms was but the beginning."

"The beginning?" Ithilwen stared at him. "But who--? Where--?"

"Later, meleth. 'Tis not a topic to be spoken of in polite circles."

As the three princes, made their way into the great hall, a discernable murmur of excitement arose as much brought on by the twins as by the Elvenking's youngest son.

Both wore the rich emerald and silver ensembles their mother had meticulously selected. But the robes, the long, sweeping robes with their intricate embroidery and exquisite textures, had been altered into the fashion of the Sindar and Silvan Elves. A master tailor had skillfully shortened the original garments and opened and restyled the fronts, revealing the almost sheer under-tunics and finely-woven hose beneath. Not to mention the well-formed bodies and lean yet muscular limbs that bore them.

Celebrian dazedly clutched at her husband's arm. "I am unsure as to whether I should be appalled or delighted," she hissed. "They have undone nearly four months worth of work on those robes. I chose them so carefully, hervenn!"

Elrond sighed. "At least we know that the Wood-elves' fashions suit them," he offered consolingly.

About to make a caustic retort, Celebrian noticed the appreciative regard the Greenwood Elves were bestowing upon the twins. She exchanged a glance with Elrond. It was quite apparent their hosts had taken the brethren's gesture as a great compliment. That their appearance was eminently easy on the eyes certainly did no harm either.

"It seems our sons will leave quite a mark on the Greenwood," Elrond murmured.

Glorfindel, who happened to be behind him, heard his comment and said humorously, "That is an egregious understatement. With all that was accomplished between them and Prince Legolas, I wager our hosts will heave a collective sigh of relief when we leave tomorrow."

"And count themselves fortunate that their halls are still standing," Erestor added with a shake of his head.

They noted Thranduil and Ithilwen making their way toward them. The Elvenking was seen to stifle a wry smile when he took note of their expressions.

"I gather you did not know of this either?" he remarked, glancing to where his son and the twins stood, surrounded by admirers of the female variety.

Elrond nodded in resignation. "'Tis as much a surprise to us, Thranduil," he admitted.

"More of a shock," Celebrian snipped. "I cannot believe--!" She broke off, unwilling to speak uncharitably of her sons in the presence of others.

Ithilwen wound a comforting arm around hers. "But it would seem this last endeavor of theirs will prove most beneficial to our needs," she cooed. "Whatever ill will they may have sown earlier has now all but disappeared. It bodes well for this alliance we have forged."

Celebrian had to smile at that. "I suppose there are all kinds of ways to practice diplomacy," she commented. She nodded in Legolas' direction. "And we have your youngest to thank for this state of affairs as well," she said. "In showing them naught but warmth and friendship, he has proven himself a most efficient politician."

Ithilwen shook her head. "Nay, Legolas did not do this for the sake of the alliance," she said. "He liked your sons at first sight, of that I am certain. I saw it in his eyes as soon as he set them upon the twins."

Thranduil agreed. "Indeed, he is loathe to have them leave," he added. "I had to promise him that he could visit Imladris in turn just to lift his spirits these last few days."

Elrond smiled. "He will be more than welcome," he said. "For I believe my sons return his regard in equal measure. Theirs will be a far deeper alliance than that which now binds our realms, Thranduil."

The Elvenking nodded. "I am glad of it," he remarked. "Seldom have I seen Legolas so happy and at ease. I would have him enjoy such moments as frequently as circumstances allow."

"We would say the same for Elladan and Elrohir," Celebrian intoned. She looked mischievously at Elrond. "And you wanted to leave them behind, hervenn," she teased. "What say you now of that idea?"

Elrond had the grace to look abashed. "I would say 'twas an idiotic notion," he conceded. "Thank the Powers I am wed to a most persuasive lady!"

After dinner, the three young princes took the chance to slip away from the crowd and enjoy the sweet night air in the gardens behind the pavilion. As they walked, they spoke of the two months just passed and mused on the future. In this, the brethren saw Legolas' countenance droop a little.

"What troubles you, Calenlass?" Elrohir asked gently.

The golden-haired prince shrugged listlessly. "I have so enjoyed these past months with you that I find I cannot look forward to tomorrow when you will depart." He looked shyly from Elrohir to Elladan. "It will be lonely without you, mellyn nîn."

The twins smiled tenderly at him. "Imladris will seem lacking as well though we call it home," Elladan told him. "We will miss you, cunneth."

"Hopefully not for long," Legolas said. "Ada promised me that I may visit you. That is if you will welcome me."

"If?!" Elrohir exclaimed. "We would bring you home with us tomorrow were it permitted. Of course, we will welcome you, Legolas. You will always have a place in Imladris."

The prince flushed with pleasure. "I know 'tis not possible soonest," he said. "I have much to complete before I may absent myself from Eryn Galen for a long period of time. But I feel much better now knowing there is something to look forward to and that you feel about me as I do about you."

The twins chuckled in tandem.

"Hearken to your tutors, ernil min," Elladan said.

"And do your utmost in all your endeavors, no matter how trivial they may seem," Elrohir continued. "When next we meet, your greater mastery will only add to our pleasure in each other's company."

The prince's azure eyes sparkled with happy anticipation. "Then I will do my best," he vowed. "I would have you proud of me."

"We already are," Elladan grinned. "You can only make us prouder."

Legolas beamed at the compliment. He glanced at Elrohir as the younger twin slung an arm around his shoulders.

"Now that that's out of the way, what say we make this last night more memorable?" he suggested with a wicked grin.

"In what way?" Legolas queried.

"I believe your father's counsellors are seeing us off tomorrow?" The prince nodded. "'Twill be dreary ritual and tradition then, I wager. Elladan and I have no liking for such pomp."

"What do you have in mind?" Elladan asked suspiciously.

Elrohir gave a conspiratorial wink. "What say we make it impossible for the most insufferable of the lot to show up tomorrow morn?"

He brought out a small phial which he handed to Elladan. The older twin read the inscription on it then guffawed. "A few drops in their wine tonight will suffice," he chortled. "Oh, gwenneth, you are wicked!"

"What is that?" Legolas asked, not knowing whether to be elated or alarmed.

"A simple sleeping draught, Legolas," Elladan explained. "'Twill ensure they do not awaken in time to go through their paces when we leave."

"Just a sleeping draught?" Legolas looked from one twin to the other. "That seems rather tame for you. There is something you are not telling me, gwenyn."

Elrohir grinned at his brother. "He has learned his lessons well, muindor," he snickered. He tapped Legolas' shoulder reassuringly. "'Tis a sleeping draught which takes effect with remarkable swiftness. It will be interesting to see which of your father's esteemed counsellors will make it out of the hall before slumber overtakes them."

Legolas stared at him. Then he giggled. Then he burst out laughing. "Elladan is right," he gasped in between bouts of mirth. "You are wicked!"

An hour later, Thranduil's servants were carting away several of the king's counsellors who snored away the night, oblivious of the spectacle they had made at the farewell dinner. No one knew for certain just how they all happened to collapse into slumber in concert. But not a few looked with trepidation at the twin brethren of Rivendell and the youngest prince of the Woodland Realm. For it seemed too much of a coincidence that the advisors so precipitately put to sleep were also known to be the ones most full of themselves.

The innocent seeming lordlings were not talking and so it remained a mystery to all. But when the morn arrived and not a one of the afflicted advisors showed up at the doors of the delved palace, they were seen to smile with satisfaction, making one and all ever more suspicious of their participation in if not their instigation of the incident.

"A success, I must say," Elladan grinned as he and Elrohir made their farewells to Legolas.

"Even more so since they cannot prove our complicity in it," Elrohir added with a chuckle.

Legolas laughed merrily. "I will write you often, mellyn nîn," he said, "and pray the years will pass swiftly until I may go to your valley in turn."

"We will write you, too," Elrohir smiled. "And should you find that you cannot visit us as you desire, we will find the means to come back instead."

The prince's smile widened at the reassurance. "Farewell then," he said. "Until we meet again."

Each twin returned his warm embrace.

"Take care, ernil min," Elladan gently replied.

"May Elbereth's light always shine upon you, Calenlass," Elrohir softly intoned.

And then they were vaulting onto their steeds with steely grace and supple strength. They urged their horses forward to join their parents and the others. As might be expected, at the mouth of the tree-formed corridor, they turned and waved at the last to their golden friend.

But there was no hint of good-bye in their gesture. Rather, there was the promise of tomorrow in their grey eyes and knowing smiles. For as Master Elrond had so succinctly put it, an alliance of even greater depth had been forged between these sons of the Woodland Realm and the hidden vale. Would that Mawë and Varda and all the Powers smile upon it in the many years to come.
Chapter end notes: hervenn - husband
gweniuar - older twin
ernil min - our prince