Greenleaf and Imladris 1. Meldir: At First Sight by Eresse

They had travelled little more than 30 leagues when the lead rider turned into what appeared to be a dense wall of vegetation. But lo and behold the thick brush parted as they approached to reveal another path leading northeast of their current location. As soon as every rider had turned into the hidden trail, the shrubbery closed behind them like a dungeon door. The brethren glanced at the youngest prince, eyebrows rising in appreciation of this use of elvish enchantment. Legolas smiled back proudly.

They kept to this path for the rest of the journey, another 30 leagues or so. Finally, they came upon a small glen. Before them, nestled amongst the trees, was what appeared to be a dark tunnel but on second glance proved to be yet another track lined by trees, the largest the twins had ever seen. So densely packed were the trunks of these giants that from afar they looked like solid walls and permitted very little light to illuminate the natural corridor. The brethren glanced about, became aware of the presence of beings in the concealing brush, realized there were unseen sentries all around. But try as they might they could see no evidence of other Elves; they could only sense them.

Only when they came up to the tunnel did the Wood-elves suddenly show themselves, stepping out from behind tree and brush to bow to their king before slipping back into concealment save for two sentries who remained at the mouth of the path. Into this near lightless hallway did the party venture, the Rivendell Elves understandably discomforted by such close and dark quarters.

After a few minutes, they emerged from the tunnel into warm sunlight. The twins' eyes, after adjusting to the sudden brightness, widened at the sight they beheld. Across a large clearing a wide stone bridge spanned a dark, fast-moving stream. Across the bridge was a high hill with two great doors of stone. Balconies graced the upper portion of the hill and there were windows here and there, some small, some great and tall. Ancient trees framed the hill, old vines trailing down the wide trunks and dark moss dappling the thick bark.

Elladan followed the lines of the old trees, his keen eyes skimming upwards. With a start, he became aware of bridges of vine among the topmost branches as well as wooden platforms that had been skillfully worked into the foliage. He grinned with appreciation when he espied Elves crossing the fragile bridges with all the speed and grace of gazelles. Upon the platforms stood even more sentries.

Scanning the surroundings he also discovered that there were dwellings in the woods and even up in the trees. But they were so cunningly wrought that they looked almost as if they were part of the forest themselves. His attention was diverted back to the great hill as they crossed the bridge. Beneath them, the stream seemed to murmur menacingly. Halting at the vast doors, they all dismounted and the horses were led away, disappearing from sight as they passed around the side of the hill.

Thranduil turned his piercing gaze upon the great doors. Almost at once, they began to open outwards as if by magic. And indeed, enchantment had opened them for there were no Elves behind them. The twins glanced at Thranduil with some awe; the imposing slabs of heavy stone had responded to his unspoken command.

They were in for more surprises as they entered the cavernous hall. They had expected darkness and damp for they had thought they were entering nothing more than a cave. But the hall was bright and airy and light streamed in from numerous windows and doors. Going forward, they realized they were going deeper and lower into the hillside where torchlight gradually replaced natural light.

Coming to a large circular hall, they then turned down a short tunnel. As at the entrance of the cave, heavy doors suddenly swung open before them at Thranduil's silent command and they came upon an open space. Elrohir gaped at the vista before him. A large portion of the hill had been carved away and they now stood on a wide terrace that overlooked the great forest. Birdsong and the rustling of leaves as a cool breeze passed through them reached their ears. The fragrance of wood and herb and leaf perfumed the air.

They were led from the terrace down a wide covered path edged with trees; it looked like a pillar-lined hallway. And so they came to the residential pavilion of the palace which had been built into the most majestic trees the twins had ever seen. Created mostly from wood with stone and marble used sparingly, the pavilion blended into the forest around it. Porches and balconies and tall windows opened up virtually every chamber to the woods outside.

"But we thought you lived in the cave!" Elladan blurted out, diplomacy forgotten in his wonder.

Legolas chuckled. "A common misconception," he admitted. "The cave is for our protection in times of peril. Otherwise, we prefer to live in the open woods."

"We cannot blame you," Elrohir remarked. "Such beauty as there is here cannot be appreciated enough. You have a most wondrous home, Legolas."

The youngster smiled at the praise of his beloved forest.

The Rivendell party soon discovered that all the bedchambers were on the second level of the pavilion whilst the main dining hall, Thranduil's private study and other living quarters were on the ground floor. Legolas too it upon himself to show the twins their shared chamber. He could not help the pride that welled up within him as the brethren regarded their room with delight and amazement.

"It seems not only the Golden Wood can claim such wonderful homes," Elladan enthused.

"You've been to Lothlorien?" Legolas asked in awe.

"Aye, 'tis our grandparents' realm."

"Oh, of course, how stupid of me," Legolas said. "I had forgotten. You are also kin to my father's cousin, Lord Celeborn."

"You have not visited the Lorien?" Elrohir inquired as he plopped down onto one of the beds.

Legolas shook his head. "Ada does not encourage such distant sojourns from here. Not even he has travelled so far south. I envy you. I would dearly love to see more of Middle-earth."

"Well, if our sires come to an accord, you may very well get to visit Imladris." "I should like that very much!" Legolas beamed.




The night proved entertaining in more ways than one. Thranduil and his queen had decided to keep the welcoming dinner on a more informal note to give their guests time to settle in. As such, ceremonial robes for the men were made optional and, with the exceptions of Elrond and Erestor, the Rivendell Elves attired themselves in courtly tunics and hose.

Elrond and Erestor looked majestic to say the least. The robes they wore were in the fashion of the Eldar and were, therefore, long, multi-layered and completely closed down the front by clasps and ties.

In contrast, the formal robes of the Sindar and Silvan Elves of the Greenwood were shorter and less concealing. They barely reached past their knees, were fastened at their breasts by single clasps, short chains or elaborate brooches, and opened up front to reveal their thin under-tunics and hose-enclosed limbs. The brief robes seemed less stately than the Eldarin style but on the right Elf they were no less impressive. Thranduil was a walking testament to that.

It was not to be wondered at that even in courtly wear the Wood-elves should differ from their Eldarin counterparts. Life without certitude, even for immortals, necessitated constant vigilance. Thranduil wielded no elven-ring to protect his realm and folk. Should there be a sudden crisis, it would be a simple matter to throw off their brief robes and press into battle if need be. Thus, even their ornamental weapons were not merely for show but as deadly as those they wielded on the fields of battle. Fierce and mettlesome, Thranduil's people were nothing less than glorious.

Neverthless, the Rivendell party made a splendid sight, at par with their Greenwood hosts in beauty and elegance. Elrond and Celebrian, his dark to her silver, were a wondrous counterpoint to Thanduil and Ithilwen. Golden-maned Glorfindel and auburn-haired Erestor also made a striking pair as they assiduously turned their diplomatic talents on the woodland nobles. Even the warriors drew their share of compliments as they unobstrusively kept watch over their lord and lady.

But when the twins made their appearance accompanied by Legolas, a virtual hush descended on the dinner guests. Both brothers had attired themselves entirely in unrelenting black broken only by the delicate silver trim and thin belts of their richly textured tunics, the silken white of their shirts showing at their necks and wrists and the mithril circlets on their raven heads. As if to flaunt their human heritage, both had braided their sable locks into single thick plaits, reminiscent of the Men of the south of whom rumor still reached the Woodland Realm. Despite their youth, they looked fell and perilous and utterly stunning.

In stark contrast to the brethren, Legolas was all light and innocence. Clad entirely in white with only traces of gold and silver to lend formality to his raiment, he looked sweet and ethereal. Though still very young by a fully mature Elf's reckoning, his appearance gave ample warning of the great comeliness he would very soon attain.

They made a splendid picture as they entered the great hall, the slender and shining golden figure flanked by lithe and glowing darkness. Even their parents had to pause for breath at this first sight of their sons together.

As the evening progressed, there could be no denying the twins' lethal allure. Thranduil was heard to wryly remark that he now believed the tales of the brothers' early carnal exploits. Even maidens who should have known better, considering their greater years, found themselves flagrantly flirting with the twins. Not that the twins were adverse to such attention. Indeed they gave as much as they received and more.

Legolas could only shake his head in amazement as his new friends reduced many a she-Elf, both young and old, to blushes just by regarding them with their dark, frankly appreciative gazes. Had he been cognizant of it at the time, he might have seen more but Erestor, quick to spot potential trouble, moved swiftly to forestall it.

"Gwenyn, I suggest you direct your attention to maids alone," he advised after watching Elladan's speculative regard of the strapping son of one of Thranduil's counsellors.

Both Elves glanced at him with surprise. "Why?" Elrohir queried. "Is there something wrong with the males of this realm?"

"Nay, not at all. But such passions have long been discouraged in the Greenwood," Erestor explained.

"That is absurd," Elladan commented. "What could they gain from it?"

"Survival," the counsellor said. "The Elves who did not make the journey to Valinor were left to fend for themselves in these mortal lands. When evil encroached on their realms, some had to make drastic choices to ensure their races would not be wiped out by attrition."

"So they forbade the binding of male and male spirit," Elrohir said in sudden comprehension.

"Likewise female and female," Erestor confirmed.

"Because such couplings would not produce new generations of Elves," Elladan mused, quickly picking up the meat of the matter.

"Exactly," Erestor said, pleased by the twins' perspicacity. "You understand now why I cautioned you? What is regarded as natural in other elven-realms is held to be aberrant here for the most part."

"For the most part?"

Erestor glanced at the younger twin. "I said they discouraged such pairings. I did not say they were able to abolish it completely. Not even we can purge from our nature what is intrinsic to it."

"Then why do they persist in its prohibition?"

"'Tis not a simple matter to go back on millennia of established tradition. It is part of their culture now. It will be many years before the ancient ways return to this kingdom."

"You speak as if they will return," Elladan commented.

Erestor smiled briefly. "If your father succeeds in securing this alliance with Eryn Galen, the isolation of Thranduil's people will come to an end. Sooner or late, what is inherent even in them will reawaken. But for now it would not be wise to flout our hosts' traditions. Indulge your interest in the maidens if you must, pyn neth. Leave the men alone."

The twins sighed then shrugged in acquiescence.

"A pity," Elrohir remarked with a grin. "These Greenwood males could give the Lorien Elves much competition."

"Aye, it would have been fascinating to discover how and if they differ," Elladan added rakishly to which Erestor could only respond with a pained glare.

"Differ in what?"

The three Eldar turned to face an inquiring Legolas and an obviously spoiling-for-a-fight Melthoron. The steward sighed with relief that the Sindarin princes had not heard their discussion. It was too soon to speak of such matters to any of Thranduil's sons, even the youngest though he seemed the most open and intelligent of the lot.

"We were merely discussing the differences between your people and the Galadhrim in the martial skills," Elrohir put in smoothly. "The Lorien archers are supposed to be the finest in Middle-earth."

Legolas smiled. "And you believe that?" he queried, preempting a caustic response from his older brother.

The brethren shrugged. "We have yet to see it proven otherwise," Elladan said.

Melthoron could not still his tongue. "Then we shall prove it to you, Peredhil," he declared haughtily.

Legolas shook his head. "But how shall they make any comparisons if there are no Lorien Elves to display their skill?" he pointed out reasonably.

"As to that, mayhap we can take their part," Elrohir said coolly, much to Erestor's dismay. "'Twas they who trained us after all."

"Aye, it would be entertaining," Elladan agreed.

"Entertaining?" Melthoron repeated, his eyes narrowed.

"To see if we can bring a woodland prince low," the older twin grinned, ignoring the counsellor's frightful glower. The temptation to bait this contemptuous, barely civil Elf was just too great to resist.

Melthoron turned red at the twin's challenge. "We shall see who is brought low," he growled. "Prepare to grovel, sons of Elrond!"

With that he spun on his heel and angrily strode off. Legolas regarded the twins thoughtfully. Both were grinning wickedly.

"You do like trouble, don't you," he remarked.

Erestor openly groaned at this woefully inadequate observation.
Chapter end notes: gwenyn - twins
pyn neth - young ones