Dearest Brother by Aeneus

[Reviews - 1]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes:

Writing for the 9th Library of Moria Forum challenge: sibling rivalry.

Beta: Half Elf Lost
Dearest Brother,

When you find this letter I will have already set out for Rivendell. Forgive my cowardice for not speaking to you plainly. I did not have the courage to wake you before my leaving. I feared the outcome of our words and I didn't want our parting to be in anger.

Please be patient with Father in my absence. I know you are angry with him, and believe me, I know you have cause. I hate the way he hurts you and I hate the way he plays us. But Brother, please, let this not be a competition.

Father loves Gondor and your deeds are invaluable to the safety of our lands. Even if he does not see it, this is known throughout the city. Foremost, it is known by me. You would be the better man for this mission. You've studied the lore of the Elves more than any in the realm. If I could, I would take you with me.

Oh Faramir, how I loathe to leave you now. Father will depend on you. No, I must say, Gondor will depend on you. And so do I.

I wish I could stay, but I must obey Father's orders. Even when my heart disagrees. I want to be angry with him, like you are, but I can't. I have to be the one to please him. I can't stand by your side as much as I want to, because it would break him. And I can't let that happen.

Were would we be then? Where would Gondor be then? If we both turn against him. I know it's hard, but we must both do Father's bidding. Please, never mistake my silence for agreement. I do not have your way with words; I hope this letter might redeem me in that respect.

Did I ever tell you that the day you were born is one of my earliest memories? I remember Mother holding you in her arms while you were sleeping. Father was so proud. If only you could have seen him then. He was a different man before Mother's death.

In the years afterwards, I was never more glad to have you with me, Faramir. It was a difficult time for Father. But even between those sad memories, I cherish the moments we spent together. My love for you became my greatest treasure. Please, don't let Father drive a wedge between us. For all the love he lacks for you, I will give you more. I hope last night I showed my love for you truly. Please, never doubt me, or my love for you.

The fate of Gondor has never been this desperate. I have not confided this to anyone, but I fear for Father - and for our people. I know it is hard, but stand by his side and keep an eye on him.

I have faith in you, my dearest Brother. For I have seen the man you've become. There is no man I would rather give me counsel , there is no man I would rather have fight beside me and there is no man I could love more for all this life. Stay strong in my absence, if not for Gondor, then for me, who loves you more than all the lands in Middle Earth.

I will keep the memories of our last night close in my heart as I seek out answers. With luck I will return with better tidings and renewed hope for Gondor. Know that everyday you will be in my thoughts and in my heart. Listen for the Horn of Gondor, my Brother. I will return to your arms.

Yours,

Boromir




The letter had remained with him since he had first laid eyes on it: the morning after their last night together, he had woken up and found it lying on the pillow next to him.

He watched as his fingers slowly crumpled the fragile parchment while his other hand clutched the two halves of the cloven horn. Faramir sank to the floor and cried.
Chapter end notes: Oct 2006
Last edit: feb 2007