The Face of the Sun by Nildrohain

Legolas first came to Lothlorien in the Spring.

The trip had not been planned, not until the last moment, for Legolas had only recently come into maturity; and neither he nor his father, Thranduil, the Elven King of Mirkwood, had hosted any idea for his future prospects beyond the improvement of his skills as a warrior and the refinement of his diplomatic abilities.

But the passing through Mirkwood in early April by two messengers of the Galadhrim on their way back from business in the far north had presented an opportunity that Thranduil would not pass up. Many centuries had passed since any prince of Mirkwood, including the King himself, had stepped foot within the golden woods of Lothlorien. Yet, here was a ready-made escort, even if that had not been part of their original task. Thranduil sent a message by wing to Lord Celeborn of Lorien; and a favorable reply having been received, when the two Galadhrim left Mirkwood in mid-April, they had in their company, Thranduil's greatest pride and the fairest of all the woodland elves. Legolas was filled with the fire and excitement of youth, the hope of great adventure, and the prospect of learning from the strange and beautiful elves that inhabited the Golden Realm.

The passage south was made on horseback, the journey rain-drenched but pleasant enough, following the low road on the western shore of the Anduin. On the eighth day after they had set out, the small party came to the northern borders of the Woods of Lothlorien. Here, they encountered a patrol, but Legolas's two companions were well known to the Guardians, and the travelers passed without incident.

From that point, Legolas spoke little. Indeed, he was too enraptured by his surroundings to give much thought to anything else. Lothlorien was even more splendid than the tales could tell, for it was Spring, and never had Legolas beheld such a sight. The boughs of the great Mellyrn trees stretched away towards the heavens and were laden with yellow flowers, whose fragrance wafted down from the heights like a sweet rain. The forest floor was also golden, covered with autumn leaves that had only just fallen, for such was the way of the Mellyrn, that they held their turned leaves until the Spring.

Deep into the woods, they came upon the Celebrant and here the horses were turned over to more of the Guardians who, Legolas noticed, seemed to appear out of the shining mists, unnoticed until they called attention to themselves. If he could learn nothing more than such an art of concealment, he would be very pleased.

Legolas and his two companions crossed the Celebrant by means of a punt, and coming to the far side, they seemed to have no path to follow, yet the two Lorien elves were sure-directed and hesitated not at all. They continued on south for several miles until, coming out of the woods, they came to a wide, treeless, space, running in a great circle and bending away on either hand. Beyond that was a deep fosse upon the brink of which ran a road of white stone. Inside the fosse there rose to a great height a green wall encircling a green hill thronged with mellyrn trees taller than any Legolas had seen in all the land.

"This is Caras Galadhon, city of the Galadhrim," one of the guides announced. "The gates are not much further. Then we will take you directly to see the Lord and Lady."

"That will be very good," Legolas replied. "I am anxious to meet those of whom I have heard so much."




The receiving hall of Lord Celeborn sat at a tremendous height in the tallest of the mellyrn. The flet upon which it stood was wide and long, like the deck of a great ship. The hall was oval-shaped, with the trunk of the mellyrn rising through the middle as it tapered towards its crown. The chamber was softly lit, its walls green and silver, it roof gold. On two chairs beneath the bole of the tree there sat, side by side, Celeborn and Galadriel. They stood up, after the manner of Elves, to greet Legolas as he entered with his escort.

"This is Prince Legolas of Mirkwood, Son of Thranduil," one of the guides announced, as Legolas placed his hand on his heart and then swept out his arm in greeting.

Celeborn nodded to the guide. "Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil. Please, join us." Then to the two messengers, "Thank you, Nenstil. You and Flagon have been excellent. You may go. I shall summon you again to hear your report."

Once his two companions had left, Legolas felt strangely more at ease. Even as he beheld the two dazzling creatures before him, he experienced a sense of awe, but the awe left him unabashed. The Lord and Lady of the Galadhrim were surpassingly beautiful, clad all in white, tall and grave and lovely. The Lady's hair was deep gold, while the Lord's was silver long and bright. They were ageless, except perhaps in the depths of their eyes, which were keen and profound.

Legolas spoke right away, before sitting, anxious to be rid of the formal, rehearsed greeting that he had carried within his head all the days since leaving Mirkwood.

"My Lord and Lady, I bring greetings from my father, Thranduil of Mirkwood. He sends blessings and gifts, of which I am the happy bearer." It only then occurred to Legolas that the gifts were down at the bottom of tree in the hands of one of the Elf-wardens that guarded access to the Lord and Lady, for he had not thought it wise to lug his pack up the ladder to such heights. Still, Legolas was undaunted. "It is his desire and mine that I may stay in Lorien for some months and learn from my fair cousins to the South."

With these words, they sat down and Celeborn nodded his approval. "That was well spoken and well received. Your request is a noble one, which we will be only too happy to oblige," Celeborn said politely. "Have you any preference for your learning?"

"Whatever presents the greatest challenge and learning opportunity," Legolas replied, and his eyes grew bright and hopeful. "I should very much like to train with the Guardians of Lorien, for they are reputed to be the finest of warriors. Yes, I should very much like that."

Celeborn could not suppress a smile at the blithe manner of Thranduil's son.

"Very well. The choice is easily made, then." Celeborn turned to one of his attendants. "Fetch Haldir."

"Yes, my Lord."

The attendant departed, and Legolas fought down his curiosity over what type of elf the attendant would return with-what type of elf this Haldir was-and forced his attention on the words of Lord Celeborn, who had begun to speak again.

" . . . is very skilled and has a great range of experience. You will not be disappointed. I dare say the Wide Patrols are the most exciting of any Guardian duties."

Legolas smiled. "I am looking forward to it." He suddenly felt the eyes of the Lady Galadriel on him, and he turned a blushing countenance towards her, though he had no idea why he should be embarrassed. Her gaze was blue like glacial ice, but there was nothing cold in it. There was warmth and knowledge and memory. And there was soft appraisal, and perhaps this was what brought the color to Legolas's cheeks.

"Such joy," Galadriel said at last. "The world is still new to you. You seek the experience of beauty for its own sake."

Legolas's blush deepened.

Galadriel's expression was one of neither joy nor sadness. She rather looked intrigued as she concluded with words as gentle as a dove's voice. "You carry your passion like a banner for all to see. The Lord of the Galadhrim has spoken truly, for I see already that you will find that which you seek under the leadership of the Captain of the Wide Patrol." Her eyes narrowed slightly. "Verily, I say that you shall find more than you desire. Haldir will do well by you. Among the Galadhrim, he is our most trusted and capable captain. Learn from him." She paused. "And do not forget that while you serve as a Guardian, you will owe him your allegiance."

"I will remember, my Lady."

Shortly, the doors at the end of the hall opened, admitting two elves. Legolas recognized the first elf as the one that Celeborn had dispatched earlier, so that meant that the other elf was the one named Haldir.

And if he were not Haldir, then Legolas was prepared to be greatly saddened, for the elf who had entered was a sight to behold.

For all that Legolas had admired the loveliness of the Lorien woods and the Celebrant and the stunning radiance of the Lord and Lady, he found himself suddenly wondering if he had ever beheld true beauty until now. He had expected to see an elf much like the two who had brought him to Lorien - an elf of pleasing appearance and subtle grace. He had not expected to see a creature whose glory rivaled that of the sun itself.

The elf strode through the hall, his movements infused with an elegance that reflected a profound reverence in the presence of his Lord and Lady. His was dressed simply in colors of dark, smoky blue and black. His hair, golden like autumn sheaves, hung about his shoulders in a less than refined and somewhat chaotic manner, as if the summons to see his Lord had caused him to prepare hastily.

He came and stood before Celeborn and Galadriel and bowed his head. "You sent for me, my Lord?"

"I did," Celeborn replied, and Haldir raised his head.

Celeborn made the introductions. "Legolas, this is Haldir, one of the Guardians of Lorien, Captain of our Wide Patrol. Haldir, this is Prince Legolas of Mirkwood, third son of Thranduil."

Haldir bowed slightly and brought his hand to his heart in greeting.

Legolas returned the gesture, but without his usual grace, for he was intent on the face before him, on the eyes regarding him with subdued curiosity. Haldir's features were very distinctive, beyond conventional ideas of Elven beauty; and Legolas was enjoying looking at him.

"Legolas has come to learn about his kin to the south," Celeborn explained. "And he has particularly requested to spend some time with the Guardians. And what better way for him to experience Guardian duties than with the Wide Patrol."

"Yes, my Lord," Haldir replied.

"You will look after him and train him well," Celeborn said, and Haldir did not miss the unspoken command in his words: And you will let nothing ill befall him.

"Yes, my Lord," Haldir said again.

Celeborn returned his attention to Legolas. "Then I leave you to Haldir."

"Thank you, my Lord," Legolas replied with a slight bow. He looked to Haldir, who offered a sweeping gesture with his arm, inviting Legolas to proceed with him from the hall.

After they had gone, Galadriel spoke quietly. "Haldir's beauty did not go unnoticed by the Prince of Mirkwood. Legolas will challenge him."

"I sensed it, as well," Celeborn agreed.

Galadriel was thoughtful. "The Wide Patrol shall be an interesting duty over the next several months."




Once Haldir and Legolas had removed from the hall and were walking side by side down a short winding stair to a lower talan, Haldir spoke in a much more relaxed voice than that which he had used to address Lord Celeborn.

So, tell me-Legolas, is it? Was the Wide Patrol your choice or a choice made for you?" he asked pleasantly.

"A combination of the two. I informed Lord Celeborn that I wanted the most challenging assignment and that I wanted to learn from the best of his warriors. He made the choice from there."

Haldir could not help but be pleased. He had long known Celeborn's satisfaction with him as a Guardian, but to be considered the best . . . this was news to him.

"Certainly, he made the choice that will give you the widest range of experience," Haldir remarked.

Legolas grinned. "I am glad to hear it."

"We just came back from a patrol. We have the rest of this week off. Then next week, we train here in Lorien, and after that, we go on patrol again for six weeks."

"Very good."

"That gives us time to get you situated. The patrol has a group of talans. Most of us also have our own private talans, but those who are not bonded prefer to stay in the common ones. It is good for camaraderie. You are welcome to stay in the common talans, if you like, unless his Lordship has already given you guest quarters. Or you can stay with me, if you prefer not to stay with the rest of the patrol-"

Legolas laughed. "So many choices. I will stay in the patrol's talans. It will be a good way to get to know them."

"I will have my brother, Orophin, make the arrangements. I will also have him take you to the fitters."

"The fitters?"

"For proper attire."

Legolas looked down at his woodland garb of green and brown. "This isn't proper enough?"

"You would stand out less if you were dressed like the rest of the patrol," Haldir replied easily.

"That is true," Legolas agreed, recalling the silver-gray garments of the patrol that had met his party upon entering Lorien. "I will visit the fitters."

They crossed a narrow, railing-less span, and then came to ladder, cast down and descending towards the forest floor below. "Have you ever soldiered before?" Haldir asked, as he began to climb down. There was a hint of swagger in his voice.

"A little," Legolas replied. "I have been trained in all the basic skills."

"What can you do?"

"I'm a good shot. Handy with knives and a fair rider."

"Hand-to-hand?"

Legolas conceded, "Not so good."

"Sword work?"

"Not so bad."

Haldir laughed - a clear, ringing sound so filled with genuine mirth that it made Legolas laugh, as well.

"You are very honest, Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood. By the time you leave Lorien and return to your dark forests of Mirkwood, you will be an expert in all skills," Haldir said.

Legolas looked down to see Haldir beaming up at him from below on the ladder. "And is there anything a Lorien elf might learn from his cousins to the north?" Legolas asked in amusement.

A good-natured smile played on the Guardian's lips. "We shall see."

They came to a long, narrow talan, at one end of which an elf sat restringing his bow.

"Orophin," Haldir announced.

The elf raised his head, revealing a striking, angular face, piercing eyes, and a smile that looked amazingly similar to Haldir's. The elf stood up to face the new arrivals.

"Yes, Nikerym?"

"This is Legolas of Mirkwood. Thranduil's son. He's going to be joining the patrol," Haldir explained.

"A prince in our midst," Orophin said with raised eyebrows. "This is an honor."

"Please, I beg you, do not treat me like a prince. I wish to be treated like any other member of the patrol," Legolas replied.

Haldir pat him on the shoulder. "And so you shall be." Then, to Orophin. "See to his lodging and then take him to the fitters."

"Yes, Nikerym."

"And be a good host," Haldir added with a meaningful glance, which Orophin knew to be the unspoken order to keep Legolas entertained. He looked to Legolas. "I may see you later this evening."

After Haldir had left, Legolas turned to see Orophin eyeing him with interest.

"I've never met any of the Mirkwood princes before," Orophin admitted.

Legolas grinned. "I'd never met a Guardian of Lorien until now."

"A new experience for both of us," Orophin said, and his eyes shined even brighter. "And I suppose we should get off to a proper start and do as Haldir asked."

"Haldir told me you were brothers," Legolas said as Orophin led the way across the talan, to where another overlapped, and beyond that another.

"That's true," Orophin replied.

"And yet you call him 'nikerym'?" Legolas was amused.

"I am in his patrol and under his orders. I show him the respect his position deserves," Orophin replied, then a chuckle broke from his lips. "But if the truth be known, I usually call him Haldir. Only there are times when 'nikerym' seems more appropriate. You'll find that's the way it is in the patrol."

"Lady Galadriel told me he is the best captain of the Galadhrim," Legolas commented.

"And the Lady is always right," Orophin winked. "Especially this time."

"That's very high praise, coming from the Lady of Lorien."

Orophin nodded. "Haldir deserves it."

Legolas narrowed his eyes. "Not even a hint of sibling rivalry?"

"Not with Haldir," Orophin replied, the affection plain in his voice.

"Really? My brothers and I compete at everything," Legolas said.

"I have another brother named Rumil. He and I compete from time to time. But there's no competition with Haldir." It was such a definitive statement that it piqued Legolas's curiosity.

"Why is that?" he asked.

"I could never explain it. After a few weeks with the patrol, you'll understand why," Orophin said with a shrug.

"Now, you've got my mind working. No competition at all? So, no one has ever tried to best him?"

Orophin turned with a mild suspicion and an even greater humor to face Legolas. "Ah, I see. You intend to compete with him?"

"No! I never even thought about it. I am just admittedly intrigued by your remarks," Legolas protested.

"Then I shall say no more on the subject, so as not to increase your curiosity any further," Orophin quipped. He came to a halt at one end of a circle of talans, hung with lamps and screens and gossamer nettings. In the center of the circle and about 20 feet below there was a larger talan, reachable from the circle by a series of rope ladders. Through its center rose the broad grey trunk of the mellyrn, and another rope ladder ran down out of sight along the trunk towards the forest floor. Several elves were gathered on this larger talan, speaking in quiet voices and tending to various activities.

"These are the patrol's talans. The ones above in the circle are for sleeping. And down there is the day room. You may choose any spot on the sleeping talans that you wish. There are no assigned places, although most of us do have our preferred spots. I can show you the open spaces. Did you bring anything with you?"

Legolas gave a start, amazed at his forgetfulness. "I have a pack. I left it with the Elf-wardens on the ground below the Great Hall."

"That will be no trouble, then. We shall be able to retrieve it when we go to the fitters." Orophin began walking around the circle. "You will need nothing for soldiering that the patrol will not provide. Even here, we have skins and cloaks and coverlets and pillows, screens and dividers to offer a bit of privacy, though not much, I must admit." He paused and took a quick, intense look at Legolas. "I see you have brought your own weapons, but we will outfit you with the weapons of the Galadhrim."

Legolas felt his excitement mounting. The weapons of the Galadhrim. He had seen the longbows of the Guardians and the sight had fed his desire to curl his fingers around such a fine piece of work.

Orophin then proceeded to show Legolas where he might make himself at home, but Legolas deferred making a selection, stating that he would prefer to wait and see for himself which places were taken, so as not to unintentionally give offense on his first day in the patrol.

This seemed to please Orophin, who then moved to the edge of the talan upon which they were standing. "Then perhaps you would like to meet some members of the patrol. Look, they are down there, straining their necks, trying to catch a glimpse of you."

Legolas's grin was answer enough, and Orophin, rather than using any of the ladders down into the center talan, sprang out and landed, however lightly, in the midst of a knot of four elves.

"Orophin!" cried one, drawing back and shielding the sword he had been polishing. "You are fortunate not to have landed on my blade!"

Orophin leaned close and examined the gleaming metal. "You only polish that blade so that it will reflect back your image to you, Mythis."

Mythis groaned and looked to where Legolas was still standing on the upper flets. "If you feel the need to follow his example, please try to land elsewhere."

Legolas leapt down, making sure that he landed well away from the four grumbling elves. Another elf was speaking. "Haldir would say Mythis is being conscientious, keeping his weapons in good order."

Orophin pat Mythis on the back. "Yes, of course, it is just as Ardamil says! After all, a shining blade is more lethal than a sharp one."

At that, the four elves laughed. "There is more of your brother in you every day," the one named Ardamil remarked. "Although you still have to learn his manners, since you have neglected to introduce us to your companion."

Orophin's gray eyes twinkled like the glinting of sunlight in drops of water. "I do not recall being given the opportunity, but I shall do so now." He held out his arm, beckoning Legolas to his side. "Friends, we have a new member of the patrol," Orophin began. "This is Legolas of Mirkwood." No mention was made of his lineage. "He has come to learn from the Guardians, and Lord Celeborn himself placed him in the Wide Patrol."

"You are welcome," Ardamil said as he and the others rose in greeting. "You must excuse this wayward elf," he went on, nodding at Orophin with affection. "He finds our peace and quiet too dull for his tastes, and so he contrives ways to agitate us, which then forces us to report something of his behavior to our captain." He cuffed Orophin playfully. "I am Ardamil. I am subaltern to our captain." He then took it upon himself to introduce the others: Mythis, whose face was indeed handsome but without the conceitedness that Orophin had jokingly ascribed to him; Maynfeln, who was the patrol's healer and reckoned its best story-teller; and Luredan, quiet and observant but with an openness in his features that invited confidence.

"The rest of the patrol is out and about," Ardamil explained. "We are on free time right now, for we came off patrol the day before yesterday. Sunday next, we return to duty. In the meantime, most of the patrol have gone to their families or their private homes. Still, most stop by for talk or a song or a bit of quiet."

"How many are in the patrol?" Legolas asked.

"Twenty-four, including the captain," Ardamil replied. "Have you met Haldir yet?"

"Yes, I have, briefly," Legolas replied, and Ardamil caught the enthusiasm in his voice.

"You will like him very much," the subaltern said assuredly. "He is as good an elf as ever walked Middle Earth."

Legolas raised an eyebrow. "So I am beginning to understand. He is spoken of with great praise. I am astounded at the degree to which he is held in esteem."

"He is just another captain of the Galadhrim. He himself will tell you this. But those who know him know his worth," Ardamil replied. "There are greater names in Lorien, but those we deem the most important are those that move in our own midst." He turned to Orophin. "So, have we time to give proper welcome, or are you under orders?"

"Under orders, of course," Orophin replied. "We make now for the fitters."

Here, Maynfeln spoke out cheerfully. "I rather like the colors of Mirkwood."

"Yes, they are pleasing to look at," Orophin agreed, "But they do no good here in the woods of Lorien. What stealth could he hope to have so garbed?"

"The stealth of a soft footfall and an eagle's swiftness?" Maynfeln suggested. "I am only trying to picture him in the grey and silver of Lorien. I can not see it."

"You shall see it, and then you shall not have to picture anymore," Orophin replied.

"Then you must go with him to the fitters, Legolas," Ardamil said. "And if he has any sense of courtesy, he will bring you to the fountain tonight for proper introductions and some chance for hearing music and story-telling."

"He has been courteous thus far," Legolas replied, laughing. Already, he was thinking Lord Celeborn had made an excellent choice in sending him to the Wide Patrol. These were good-natured elves of the outgoing sort.

"Ah! You see there, Ardamil! Courteous thus far! Is that not a fine compliment?" Orophin laced an arm around Legolas's shoulders, as Legolas broke out in laughter anew. "Before I swoon from such flattery, we had better get to the fitters, or Haldir will have me pulling duty on the northern fences with the likes of -"

"You are incorrigible, Orophin!" Ardamil proclaimed. "Go! Go now, and try not to lead poor Legolas into trouble."




They went first to retrieve Legolas's pack, and from there they made for the fitters, which was situated on a lower talan, though still high off the ground, and reached by a series of rope ladders and steps. As they climbed, Legolas looked about him, still in awe of the great city in the trees. There were structures - homes, perhaps-built on some of the larger flets, yet everything seemed open and welcoming.

Across a great open expanse, he saw a lone figure mounting up a long flight of steps between two branches on the same tree. "Isn't that Haldir?" he asked.

Orophin followed the direction of his gaze. "Yes, it is."

When Orophin offered no further remark, Legolas did not ask any further questions. It would be unseemly for him to ask after the movements of the elf who was to be his leader for the next several weeks at least. Instead, he continued on beside Orophin, but his eyes followed Haldir up to the top of the steps, where the Guardian crossed a short, flat bridge to a small, pretty house, where he was met by another elf who had come to stand in the doorway. The strange elf flung out his arms but did not touch Haldir. He was speaking and Haldir responded, but the words could not be heard across the distance, and Legolas felt ashamed for even wondering what they were saying. A moment later, there was the faint ringing of their laughter and they disappeared into the house.

Legolas traded his shame for mild indignance, which felt odd but suited him much better, for he was easily able to convince himself that as a prince and an honored guest entrusted to the care of Haldir, that the least Haldir could do would be to look after him himself, instead of passing him off to another member of the patrol, even though that member be his brother.

"Here we are, then," Orophin announced. They had come to a long, narrow talan, arched over from both sides with curves beams, so that the structure looked like the upended hull of a ship. Inside they were met by an elf-maid of goodly temper.

"Orophin, tell me not that you have rent yet another cloak," the elf-maid teased. "We shall have to set up a table that does nothing but mend what you have ruined."

"No such thing this time, Alethe. I am come on an errand much more to your liking. This is Legolas. He is to be a member of the patrol, and Haldir has left it to me to see that he is properly fitted, and now I leave it to you, good lady," Orophin replied. "Though I think I must stay and watch, for I believe it will be great fun."

Alethe waved her hand dismissively at Orophin. "It will be a joy to outfit one so fair. Come, Legolas, this will be easy work."

And it was easy work, as far as the fitting and the sewing went. The elf-maidens working in the fitters were nimble and quick at their work. Within an hour, Legolas was wearing the silver-grey of the Lorien elves. And he was wretched.

"I can not wear such a thing!" he protested, regarding himself in the polished glass.

"True, you look very ill," Orophin replied with an amused grin tugging at the corner of his mouth.

"Lorien elves may be beautiful in these colors, but . . . I despise this! Even the cut of it is abominable!"

Alethe stood behind him, primping and crimping. "Now, now, you look fine. You just are not used to it, but I tell you truly, it is a flattering thing on you."

Orophin simpered. "I suppose it makes no difference, since you must wear it either way. Only it is not flattering! Alethe, how you can say such a thing is a wonder to me."

"You are only jealous, because you do not look as fine in yours," Alethe shot back. "Besides, there are others who are better suited to be judges of beauty."

"I will take it, if I must," Legolas conceded. "But I will not wear it until the patrol resumes its duties."

"That is perfectly alright," Orophin replied. "None of us wear the uniform when we are on free time. It is not our custom to do so."

Legolas changed back into his own clothes then accepted the tied bundle that was his uniform from Alethe. He turned to Orophin. "And now?"

"Now to the armory."




The rest of the day passed between various shops and the introduction of Legolas to elves too numerous to remember. Orophin appeared to be very well known and equally well-liked. Legolas was beginning to think that perhaps Haldir had done the right thing in handing him over to Orophin, for he was charming, funny, and a wealth of information. Legolas had learned that Haldir was the oldest of the three brothers. Orophin was in the middle. Rumil was the youngest . . .

" . . . although in many ways, Haldir is like the youngest," Orophin said with consideration.

"In what ways?" Legolas asked.

Orophin shrugged. "You will see."

Legolas grunted his disapproval. "You vex me, Orophin. You say many mysterious things and then refuse to elaborate."

Orophin only grinned. "They are things you must learn by experience. But this one is not so complicated. You are the youngest, are you not?"

"Yes."

"And how do your brothers treat you?"

"They love me."

"Yes, of course. But how do they treat you?"

Legolas thought about how to answer the question, but his silence was too long for Orophin, who prompted him, "Are they protective of you?"

"Very much so."

"There you have it. That is one of the ways. Rumil and I are very protective of Haldir. In fact, the entire patrol is protective of him. He rather needs it, I might add. And the humorous thing is that he is also our protector," Orophin explained.

"And the other ways?"

"Some other time. Here, we have been going all the day long. It is evening and time for the fountain. You will meet many of the patrol there. It is a popular spot. I can assure you, you will have a fine time."




The fountain was literally that - a fountain. Made of polished marble the color of ivory and sculpted with the intricate shapes of foxes and exotic birds, it was set beautifully in the center of circular green lawn twenty yards across and bordered with stone benches and tables. The tables were piled with various delicacies and glittering flasks of wine and nectar. Upon the benches and about the lawn, there lounged elves, both male and female; and upon the low wall of the fountain pool, a musical group of three perched for their rendering of a sweet, wordless tune.

As predicted, many members of the Wide Patrol were present among the numbers; and Legolas spent the first hour being introduced to them all. Orophin made sure that the prince's glass never went empty, but he also made sure that it was never filled with anything too strong. Haldir would be greatly displeased if, while under Orophin's watch, the Prince of Mirkwood's first action was to distinguish himself by public drunkenness.

Not unexpectedly, Legolas found himself the object of many an elf-maiden's attention. This, he did not mind; in fact, he rather enjoyed it. His was a new face and an attractive one at that. If they were curious about him and wanted to fawn over him, he was not going to stop them. And although many of them were uncommonly pretty, Legolas could not deny that he was waiting hopefully to see one particular face above all others.

It was moving from evening into night when Haldir came to the fountain. He was greeted, not with the fairly loud and rambunctious chorus that had welcomed earlier arrivals, but rather with a subdued yet thoroughly genuine gladness that expressed itself in silent smiles and beaming eyes.

He looked very much as he had that morning with one notable exception. His hair, which had been in such disarray, was now styled with beautiful simplicity, showing off its rich thickness.

Legolas watched as Haldir stopped to talk to this or that elf, showing all of them the same interested courtesy. At length, Haldir came and joined him where he was sitting next to Orophin on the wall of the pool.

"I take it Orophin has been seeing to your needs," Haldir began.

"Yes, he's been an excellent companion," Legolas replied, his eyes still roving over the cascades of brilliant gold that fell over Haldir's shoulders.

Haldir noticed Legolas's stare and could not suppress a grin. "Did you think I was inviting the birds to nest in my hair when we met this morning?"

Legolas's eyes widened and embarrassment burned in his pale cheeks, but he managed to regain his composure long enough to reply, "The work is very fine."

"I would thank you for the compliment, but it is not my own work. I have no patience for it-no skill either, but luckily, there are those in the patrol who have both the patience and the skill."

And the luck, Legolas said to himself, thinking how much he would like to touch the thick tresses, so different from his own thinner and less radiant hair.

As if reading his thought, Haldir studied Legolas's braids. "You appear to have some skill, yourself. Is that your own work?"

"Yes," Legolas replied, smiling.

"Then perhaps you will permit some of the patrol to avail themselves of your services when we are out beyond the borders," Haldir queried.

"I would be happy to, but I should be surprised if anyone would come to me when another member of the patrol can do such beautiful work."

"Nonsense," Haldir replied. "I, myself, am planning to make use of your ability, if you are undaunted by the prospect of taming something that can get wildly out of control."

Legolas laughed. "It did not look quite so wild this morning . . . just . . . natural."

"You are already well-learned in diplomacy," Haldir grinned. He reached out and ran a finger along the tight braid over Legolas's right ear. "But if you can duplicate such intricate work, especially in the field, I shall be very pleased."

At that moment, Haldir's attention shifted, and his hand dropped from its admiration of Legolas's handiwork as he addressed a new arrival. "Ah! We were just speaking of you and your miraculous taming of the mane!"

Legolas turned and saw approaching them the same elf he had seen with Haldir earlier in the day; and inexplicably, he felt his heart sink. The elf was almost as beautiful as Haldir and possessed a gentleness in his expression that Legolas recognized as the natural outward manifestation of a pure spirit.

"Miraculous? T'was no miracle. T'was hard work and much of it," came the reply, spoken by a voice smooth and deep and musical. His gaze went to Legolas as he drew up to stand in front of them. "You must be Legolas."

Legolas stood and gave the elven greeting. When they sat again, the strange elf had placed himself between Legolas and Haldir, much to Legolas's irritation.

"Haldir has told me that you will be joining the patrol," the newcomer said.

Legolas's only response was a curt, "Yes."

Orophin leaned out, "And he is going to replace you as the keeper of the golden locks!"

This remark made Haldir laugh. "You should not tease him, Orophin! At least Rumil has some skill with such things, where you are all thumbs!"

"Yes, and that is why I also turn to him to manage my own hair! What are brothers for-" Orophin wrapped his arm playfully around Haldir's neck, "-if not to tease! Of course, if you prefer, I could transfer my loyalties to Legolas, and then our poor brother would find himself braiding only his own head!"

Rumil? Legolas gave a slight gasp. This is Haldir's other brother! I should have guessed. He regarded the three brothers sitting close together on the bench. The resemblance now seemed clear. They were all three dazzling like mithril.

Haldir slid out from Orophin's grip and took a brother in each arm. "My ray of sunlight and my ray of moonlight!"

And see how they care for each other. Legolas suddenly felt something that he had not expected: it was envy. He could not quite understand it, for he and his brothers, although competitive, shared a deep familial love that had long been the foundation for Legolas's unfettered joy and self-confidence. Yet, as he regarded Haldir with his brothers, he felt a powerful desire to have that affectionate gaze turned his way, to feel an adoring arm about his shoulders.

"Which is which?" he asked at last.

Haldir squeezed Orophin. "Moonlight." Another squeeze for Rumil. "Sunlight."

"And what does that leave for you?" Legolas asked.

"That leaves me as the joyful recipient," Haldir replied.

Orophin spoke, and although he was grinning from ear to ear, his voice carried a serious undertone. "Haldir is the heavens."

"The realm in which sunlight and moonlight dwell," Rumil added.

"And all the stars and the clouds and the rains and the winds." Orophin spoke almost as if he were reciting a prayer. "He is our home."

Haldir pulled them closer. "Is it any wonder that I am arrogant when I have two such flatterers?"

As he spoke, a call went up from the assembled elves.

"A song!! A song! Who will sing?"

"Let the newest member of the Wide Patrol grace us with a song!" This was from Ardamil, who was seated with a collection of elf-maidens.

Cries of 'Legolas! Legolas!' filled the air.

Legolas, never one to pretend shyness, stood up. "Very well! Very well. I will sing a song . . ." He turned his eye to Haldir. " . . . if my captain agrees to sing one after me."

Haldir inclined his head. "Agreed."

Legolas moved to where the musicians had been seated earlier and took up a spot. He began singing in Elvish the words of a song he had learned in his youth - the charming, meaningless story of Anhumat, a restless swallow in search of a home.

In the Spring, Anhumat followed the east wind And it led him far over the horizon To where the great palaces stand upon the clouds.

There, in the Summer, he met the south wind And it bore him shimmering like sunlight To the halls of mountain kings.

When Autumn came, the west wind called sweetly And he followed it over water and sand To the last of the shrines of bygone days.

In the Winter, the north wind came cold and weary. "I wish to stay in this land with the west wind," Anhumat said. And the north wind sighed and went on alone.

When he had finished, appreciative applause rose from his audience. Legolas had a beautiful voice, fluid and soothing and surprisingly deep. But even more than that, he had a presence. His mannerisms and expressions were riveting. He knew how to play a crowd, and he made good use of the full extent of his abilities and his natural attractiveness.

And now, as the final act in his performance, he turned towards Haldir and made a grand gesture with his arm. "I believe I may now turn the stage over to you, my good captain."

Haldir gave an ambiguous grin as he rose from his place and nodded his acknowledgment. He then summoned Ardamil and Luredan, both of whom had instruments: Ardamil's was a stringed instrument played with a bow, Luredan's was a lute.

And then began a moment that Legolas would never forget, a moment over which he would brood and agonize for many weeks. It was the moment he first fell into danger, although as yet, he did not recognize it as such.

It was a simple melody that the two instruments brought forth, exotic yet strangely docile and pure. Slow, languishing . . . yearning. A sound like great yearning.

Then Haldir began to sing in a language that sounded faintly Elvish but of which Legolas could not understand a single word. But his inability to understand did nothing to lessen the enchantment. He sat quietly and listened as if in a rapture, entranced by the singing of the elf he was to call 'nikerym'.

It was a fine voice, but a far cry from the usual dulcet ability of most elves. And yet, Legolas would have denied that there was any deficiency. Haldir's voice could wound the most hardened and calloused of hearts. For Legolas, whose heart was as yet still soft and pliable, the performance had an almost tantalizing effect. Something in those unknown words and the unpolished voice reached down inside him and made a bizarre stirring deep in his soul. Whatever that stirring was, Legolas did not give much thought to identifying it; he was content to merely enjoy and nurture it.

Haldir, unlike Legolas, was not a showman. His gaze fell mainly on the ground or looked at some vague point never too far distant. He did not move or gesture as he sang. He did not smile or frown. He looked completely comfortable, but Legolas also thought that he seemed to be hardly there. It was as if his body stood and his mouth sang, but that interiorly, he had been transported elsewhere - and that was where the true audience, the true recipient of his song resided.

It was also a fairly lengthy song, but when it ended, there was a tremendous round of applause, but even this could not break the spell that had fallen over Legolas. He sat without moving or speaking, the sound of Haldir's voice echoing through his head. At length, a shadow fell across him, and he looked up to see Haldir standing in front of him with two glasses in his hands. He held one glass out to Legolas, who took it awkwardly.

"You have great talent," Haldir complimented. "A good singer is always a great addition to any patrol. You will be called upon often."

Legolas looked up at him with bemused eyes. "I am surprised that anyone else would even think of singing after they have heard you."

Haldir smiled. "That is kindly said." He sat down beside Legolas and took a sip from his glass. "So, are you well settled now?"

"I am, but I have to tell you that I despise the Guardian uniforms. I looked ghastly in it," Legolas replied.

"I find that hard to believe," Haldir countered.

"You will see it for yourself," Legolas assured him. "Until then, you may wish to withhold your opinion."

A glint showed in Haldir's eye. "You are far too fair to be made ghastly by mere cloth."

"And now you are making fun of me?" Legolas challenged.

Haldir shook his head. "Look at all those elf-maidens. They have watched you all night."

Now it was Legolas's turn to laugh. "Were they? I thought they were all watching you."

"We could go on with this mutual flattery for hours," Haldir said good-naturedly. "But I only stopped down here to make sure Orophin had not left you to yourself."

"No, no, he has been very good," Legolas replied. "They have all been very kind."

"I am glad to hear it," Haldir nodded approvingly. He finished off his glass and got to his feet. "In that event, I will leave you to enjoy the rest of the evening."

"You are not leaving?" Legolas asked, standing up.

"Yes, I am. A spell of peace and quiet will do me good."

"But I think-I think everyone would like you to stay," Legolas said. "You do not want to disappoint them, do you?"

"I would never want that," Haldir asked.

"Then stay," Legolas persisted.

"Would you think less of an elf who says that he's exhausted?" Haldir asked, admitting a condition that few elves would ever acknowledge.

A softness came over Legolas's features. "Of course not."

"Then you will excuse me?"

Legolas nodded.

"Good night," Haldir said with a slight bow.

"Will I see you tomorrow?"

"I don't think so, but Orophin will see to you. And now that you've already met a number of the patrol, you will not be wanting for companionship."

Legolas felt a strange disappointment, which Haldir could sense.

"Please understand . . .there are certain things that wear on me. Tonight you witnessed one of them," Haldir explained.

Legolas looked confused.

"The song," Haldir went on.

"The song? The song exhausted you? But it was so beautiful."

"It was meant to be beautiful. Its recipient deserves nothing less. But it is difficult to put the appropriate sentiments truly into the song, especially in public," Haldir replied. "It takes a lot out of me to give of myself in that way."

Its recipient. Legolas wondered what that could mean, but instead of asking the probing question, he opted for a less intrusive one. "What language was that?"

"What you might call Ancient Quenyan, but properly named, it is Primordial Elvish - the root language from which all Elvish derives."

"What was the song about?"

Haldir smiled and touched Legolas's shoulder. "Another time, Legolas. We will have many days together in which to discuss whatever you like. Only right now, I am much in need of peace."

Legolas accepted this. He had no other choice.

He watched Haldir leave, then he made his way over to join Ardamil and several other elves from the patrol. And although his heart was no longer in it, he stayed several more hours at the fountain, until at last, led by Orophin back to the patrol's talans, he came to the end of his first day in Lorien. And it was as he began undressing that he realized, much to his surprise and consternation, that he had left his pack at the fitters.