At a Glance by Shaz

Aragorn's POV

The tears have stopped now. I cannot shed any more. Many hours have passed and the sun will be up soon.

Legolas has not returned and the others should be awoken soon. Where is he?

I rise to wake the others. He can look after himself. I should not care where he is or what has happened to him. I must forget the feelings I laid so bare out in the open last night only to be shattered by one blank look from his clear blue eyes.

I hear a noise behind me. The hobbits are waking up. Frodo gets up and walks towards me; there is concern in his eyes.

"Weren't you on first watch?" he asks

"Yes I was."

He looks surprised. "Haven't you slept at all last night Strider?"

"I needed to think and I could not sleep anyway."

Before he can answer Sam awakes with a start to find his master is not sleeping by his side.

"Mr. Frodo!" he calls. I hear the panic in his voice.

"I'm right here Sam.," says Frodo, somewhat amused by Sam's response to not seeing him there.

Sam sits up and breathes a sigh of relief. "Goodness Mr. Frodo you had me worried there for a moment."

Sam's shouts for his master seem to have awoken the rest of the fellowship and the camp is now alive with activity as the hobbits prepare breakfast. Frodo has now returned to his companions side and I notice Sam relax, knowing his master is now safe next to him. I feel the same in a way. I shouldn't after what happened but I am worried that something has happened to Legolas and I doubt I will rest easy until he is safe, if not by my side then at least in the company of the fellowship.

I don't notice Gandalf behind me until he speaks. "Where is Legolas?"

"He has not returned yet from last night"

Something flashes across Gandalf's eyes for a second but as soon as it appeared it was gone again. "And you thought not to tell us?" He keeps his voice low so as not to alarm the others but I can tell they suspect something. Gimli is trying not to look worried but from his body language I can tell he is.

"He can look after himself Gandalf, he probably decided to spend the night alone sleeping in the trees. He has been anxious as of late."

Gandalf's eyes narrow under his bushy eyebrows and his head tilts slightly as he decides weather to believe me or not.

"Let us hope this is true. We will give him till mid morn before we search for him."




Legolas' POV

Warmth. I feel warmth on my face. Have I been here all night? I open my eyes slowly. The sun welcomes me into a new day; from her position in the sky I can tell its early to mid morning. I must return to the camp. I push myself up onto my knees then stand up. The effort makes me nauseous and I have to lean against a tree to keep from falling back down to the ground.

What is wrong with me?

They cannot see me like this, especially the hobbits.

It takes a few minutes for me to catch my breath and get my bearings. Camp is not too far away, I can see it. The hobbits are eating, second breakfast no doubt. Gandalf is talking with Boromir and Gimli and Aragorn is looking out in to the forest, his back to me. I feel a small stab of pain in my chest as I watch him. He looks so distant, so thoughtful and so beautiful. The pain intensifies and I clench my jaw.

I feel like I am betraying Arwen for thinking such things but I cannot govern the ways of my heart. I have never fallen for a mortal before and I doubt I will ever again, the pain is too great.

I make my way into camp each step stronger and steadier than the last.

Gimli is first to see me and he rushes over. "Where have you been elf? We have been waiting to go for hours because of you and your obsession with trees!"

There is a sparkle in his eyes. He was worried about me.

Aragorn must have told them I spent the night in a tree so ill play along. "I happen to think that trees make better conversation than dwarfs, so much so that I got rather caught up in it and I apologise if this means you get to spend less time complaining about walking all day master dwarf." I smile.

Gimli laughs and turns back to tell Gandalf and Boromir why I returned so late. I hear him mutter under his breath "Crazy elf" as he walks away to which I return just loud enough for him to hear "Stupid dwarf." His step falters slightly. I don't think he knew I could still hear him.

I laugh and walk over to the hobbits and sit down.

Sam being the considerate hobbit that he is has saved me some food. I thank him and take the bowl of stew and the roll of bread handed to me. Merry and Pippin eye it hungrily, their bowls empty. Not wanting to offend Sam I eat a few small spoonfuls of the stew. It is delicious but I am not very hungry. I wait until Sam leaves to help Frodo with his packing then give Merry and Pippin equal amounts of stew in their bowls and then brake the roll into two equal halves and hand one each to the hungry hobbits. They smile gratefully and begin to devour their food.

It still amazes me how ones so small can eat so much.

I feel eyes on me again. He's watching me again but this time I get up and turn to face him. Unlike the first time last night I can read the emotion clearly in his eyes.

Hurt.

Hurt that he thinks I rejected him but that could not be further from the truth. I try to tell him this but I feel my throat tighten up before a single word leaves my mouth. Nether of us move as we silently stare at each other from opposite sides of the camp. My silence however is not voluntary. The hurt in his eyes is growing more and more as our eyes stay locked together. I cannot bear to see him like this but I have no choice as I find I cannot move again and the stabbing pain in my chest has returned.

Finally after what seems like an eternity Gandalf speaks breaking the spell holding my eyes in his as he finally looks away.

"Well now that we are reunited it seems we can begin our final days journey to Moria."

Gimli has moved next to me. He has packed my bedroll. Before I can thank him he hands it to me and says, "Only because I would like to get to Moria and show you just how well the dwarfs live."

The pain is fading and I smile once again. "If you call living in a damp, sunless cave in the heart of a mountain well then I'm sure you shall."

We set off with Gandalf leading us. I have been asked to walk upfront with him so that I might be able to warn of any dangers ahead. The hobbits and Bill the pony are behind me with Boromir, Gimli and Aragorn acting as rearguards.

After a few hours of walking Gandalf asks me why I am anxious about entering Moria.

"I do not know exactly why Mithrandir. I sense no good will come of entering the mines the feeling is as strong as my feelings for the earth around me."

Gandalf seems to think about this and for a while nothing else is said between us, I can hear the hobbits talking about the shire behind me and the heavy breaths of Gimli and Boromir at the back. Aragorn's breathing is almost silent and I have to concentrate to hear it properly. All of a sudden Gandalf speaks again

"Whatever happens in those mines Legolas I want you to make sure the rest of the fellowship gets out safely no matter what."

These words confuse me and I wonder what he means.

"I do not understand. You and Aragorn-"

"You must watch Aragorn in particular. Something has been troubling him as of late and he is becoming distracted. He must fulfil his destiny and I want you to make sure of that Legolas."

The now familiar pain returns to my chest. His destiny. To become king of Gondor with a beautiful queen, Arwen by his side, to give Gondor an heir to the throne and live happily with his family for the rest of his days.

The pain intensifies as I think of this. I have unintentionally hurt him and he will no doubt hate me for the rest of his days now.

Perhaps it is better this way. He will return to Arwen after the quest is over and probably be happier than he would with me.

"Legolas did you hear me?" Gandalf is now looking at me sidelong as we walk. I did not realise I have began to sweat.

I wipe my brow and look curiously at the liquid on my hand. Strange. This has never happened to me before, it must have something to do with the worry I feel about entering Moria. I tell Gandalf this and he nods his head.

"I heard and I understand Gandalf."

Nothing else is said and we all walk on silently and I think about my appointed task.

Could I really lead Aragorn to his destiny in the arms of another when it hurts too much to even think of it?



TBC...