A Star-filled Sky as Seen from a Balcony in Rivendell by Bunny

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Beta: RavenWolf (I adore you! Thank you for your help!)

Bwahahaha! The Fafa Muse of Evil is working overtime! *everyone screams and runs far, far away* I know it's a weird title, but I like it. I've already got a sequel to this on the way, too. This is more pre-slash, but it hints at attraction. The sequel will be slash. This fic is also an attempt to answer my own frodo_slash challenge ("How many names *do* you have, Aragorn?"). R & R, please! I'll shut up now. BUNNY! And now...to the fic (finally)...
Frodo leaned against the balcony rails and took a deep breath of the cool evening air. It smelled of mist, of the trees and flowers that flourished in abundance in Rivendell. He could hear the faint roar of the waterfall in the distance, the murmurs and songs of elves bidding one another good rest as darkness crept over the city. The feeling of almost-peace dissipated when his injured shoulder spasmed.

He fell to his knees, a cry of pain escaping his lips. Black spots danced in his vision. He heard nothing but the blood pounding in his ears.

As the pain receded, making speech possible, Frodo swore the foulest Elvish curses he knew. The extent of his vocabulary in that area would have startled the crudest warrior.

"Frodo! Are you alright?" The hobbit finished his curse, and looked to see Aragorn kneeling beside him, his arm protectively curled around the hobbit. Trying to speak something besides curses, Frodo swallowed and took a deep breath.

"Hullo, Aragorn. I'll be all right in a moment. Just a shoulder spasm." His voice was breathy with pain. Aragorn looked at him, concerned. The hobbit was deathly pale.

"It must have been intense." Frodo nodded. "I was also unaware that your education in Elvish was so...thorough." There was a warm note of amusement in Aragorn's deep voice. He helped Frodo to his feet.

"There are many things you don't know about me," Frodo murmured. "Why are you here, anyhow?"

"I was coming to check on you when I heard you cry out. You are alright, aren't you?" The concern in his blue-grey eyes warmed the cold in Frodo's heart.

"I am fine." He stood silent, gazing at the tall, slender Ranger. He couldn't help but appreciate the man's appearance. Aragorn still wore the formal dress he'd donned for the Council earlier that day. He was quite dashing, to be honest, even charming, in the rough sort of fashion of a man who spent little time amongst other people. Frodo raised his eyes to meet Aragorn's, and spoke the question that had circled round and round in his mind.

"Why did you do it, earlier?"

"Do what?" Aragorn looked a little puzzled.

"Bind yourself to me. You gave yourself over to protecting me. Why? You have not known me very long. Certainly not long enough to make such a promise."

"Would you have me take it back?"

"Forgive me if I sound ungrateful. I'm not. I simply wish to know why you did it." Aragorn sighed heavily, not sure how he could explain.

"You need someone to protect you, Frodo. Many perils await in the days ahead. I thought on it, and realized that I trusted no one else to protect you as I would." Frodo was touched by such honesty.

"Thank you." He turned sapphire eyes away from the man for a moment. "It means much to me to have you along for this journey." Aragorn looked to the hobbit beside him.

"You are very welcome, Frodo." They stood silent for several moments. Suddenly, Frodo began to laugh, a soft, bubbling sound. Aragorn looked at him quizzically.

"What is so funny?"

"I was just thinking that-well, how many names do you have, Aragorn?"

"What?" The man was rather perplexed by the hobbit's question.

"Well, we hobbits called you Strider, as did the folk in Bree. Gandalf called you Aragorn, and the elves call you Estel. I find you are both heir to the throne of Gondor and Ranger of the North. You must admit that it is funny for one man to carry so many names and titles." Aragorn smiled widely, chuckling softly.

"I suppose I do have many names. I had not thought of it like that before. It would not surprise me to gain another before the end of this quest."

"I've one for you."

"I do hope it isn't one of the foul curses I heard earlier," the man said, half-joking. Frodo laughed, a smile curving his lips.

"No, of course not!"

"What, then?" Frodo turned blue eyes upon the man.

"Friend."

"You honor me, Frodo, to count me thus so quickly."

"It would be a disservice if I did not. You have done things for me that most of my own kin would not. You have saved my life more than once. My friendship is the only way I can begin to repay you." Aragorn looked at him, then turned his eyes to the star-filled sky.

"Do you see that small star, there?" He pointed to it. Frodo frowned for a moment, searching.

"Ah! That one, above that mallorn tree's highest branch?"

"Yes. It is called Elenrilya, the glittering star . To our eyes it is small, no different from the other stars. Until this night each month. Watch."

Elenrilya dimmed for a moment, and then its light flared. A myriad rainbow of swirling colors of light filled the sky around it. The lights shone briefly, then flickered and died. Frodo stared in wide-eyed wonder at its beauty. It reminded him of Gandalf's fireworks, the way the lights glittered as they faded. The display did not last long.

"Aragorn, that was beautiful! How did you know it would do that?"

"I lived here for many years. Elenrilya does that every month on the same date. We were lucky to be here to see it. To be honest, I missed seeing Elenrilya's light the most of all the wonders of Rivendell during my travels. It always reminds me that there are some things that remain constant, unfailing, through the darkest times of this world."

"I am glad to have seen it. Thank you for sharing it with me. I wouldn't have known, otherwise." Aragorn laid a hand on Frodo's shoulder.

"The point is, Frodo, that even those who go mostly unnoticed by the world at large can become great and do mighty deeds when given the opportunity to do so. Will you shine as brightly as that star, now that your chance has come?"

"Aragorn, you would not think me a coward if I told you I was afraid, would you?"

"No. I would consider you wise. I am frightened, as well." Frodo's eyes widened.

"You?! But you don't seem afraid of anything." Aragorn laughed softly, a humorless sound.

"Only a fool would not be afraid to take on a task such as this. I simply do not allow myself to dwell on and be overwhelmed by my fear." Frodo bowed his head.

"You make it seem so simple."

"I have been fighting back fear for many years. Fear of death, of life, of anything in between the two. It gets no easier. You become accustomed to it, that is all." Frodo nodded his understanding. "I will protect you, Frodo, even unto death. No harm will come to you as long as I am with you, I swear it." There was a fire in Aragorn's eyes as he spoke, something that would not accept failure.

"You have comforted me greatly, Aragorn. It is reassuring to know that you are coming with me." Frodo took hold of Aragorn's hand. The color had returned to his cheeks. The hobbit's trusting smile caused a strange ache in Aragorn's heart. He hoped he would not fail Frodo, that he would prove himself worthy of such faith.

"The hour grows late. You should try to sleep, Frodo. Does your shoulder still pain you?"

"Not any more. I promise I will go to bed soon." Aragorn nodded.

"Good rest, then, Frodo. I will see you on the morrow."

"Good night, Aragorn." Frodo turned his eyes back to the sky. He vaguely heard the door shut.

Elenrilya now looked like any other star. Its light was only a faint glimmer, no trace left of its earlier brilliance. Would he become like that? A pale shadow of himself once it was all over? Of course, that was assuming he even survived the arduous journey. Frodo sighed and turned away.

Going into his bedroom, he quickly undressed and donned his nightgown. A small yawn contorted his features. Perhaps he would sleep this night, after all.


END (?)