The Last Day of Our Acquaintance by Papilio
Summary: The night before his final battle Gil-galad reflects on his life with his lover, and his regrets at having to leave him.
Categories: FPS > Gil-galad/Elrond, FPS, FPS > Elrond/Gil-galad Characters: Elrond, Gil-galad
Type: Romance/Drama
Warning: Angst
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 870 Read: 1363 Published: September 01, 2012 Updated: September 01, 2012
Story Notes:
A brief songfic, the song "The Last Day of Our Acquaintance" is performed by Sinead O Connor.

1. Chapter 1 by Papilio

Chapter 1 by Papilio
Close your eyes,
Leave the world behind.
Find a place,
Deep inside.
Where - you imagine,
That love never dies.
In the night,
When you reach for me.
In your heart,
Hear my sigh.
Now and forever,
Will - you remember?


I watch him as he sleeps, his chest rising and falling in a slow, hypnotic rhythm. His hair as dark and sleek as a raven's wing; is spread out on the makeshift pillow of my cloak, his beautiful eyes shut tight in sleep (a trait found only in a Peredhel). Wrapped in sleep's sweet embrace he exudes an almost childlike innocence...a surprising trait in one tried as a warrior and experienced in warfare and the field of combat.

Where do you wander on the dream plain? Is it me you see in your visions this night melethron?

I wonder...

About many things, things I would never speak of to you. I would never burden you with my countless fears and doubts, for I love you too much to make you a slave to my many insecurities and apprehensions.

The gift of foresight it is a trait found in few of our people. It is an ability that I have never had until now...and a blessing it is not.

I gaze outside at the morbid landscape outside our tent. My eyes alight and hold on the mountain. It stands as a challenge to those who would dare to confront the might of Sauron and his ilk.

The sky is dark...as always. There is no time in this desolate realm, day is dressed in the black garb of night at all times. Acrid smoke fills the air and a faint scent of death is to be detected on the wind.

Tomorrow we shall descend into the very pits of hell you and I, as we have on many occasions in our constant fight against the evil that is Sauron. This time shall be different I fear...two shall set forth but only one shall return.

I gaze at your sweet face...I do not wish to be parted from your side but I fear that fate has decreed otherwise.

When you love,
You're not alone.
The one you love,
Is there beside you.
Never lost,
Or on your own.
A gentle hand,
Is there to guide you.


I watched you today as we went over the battle strategies for the morrow. You contributed greatly to our plans, always coming up with new, ingenious ideas, that a seasoned commander such as I could not come up with.

Looking at you now I can see no trace of the young, uncertain orphaned elf that I took in and trained. You have become a skilled commander, a wise leader and an able warrior. I revel in being able to see you as you are now. How very far you have come since those far-flung days long ago.

I so want to speak the words that are in my heart. Tell you how much I love you, if only I could find the words to describe the depth of my feelings for you. You are a shining star of love and hope that brought everlasting light into my world of darkness. You could never know how lonely a King's life really is, a life full of duty and responsibility. In serving my people, I often neglected my own thought, wishes and dreams. I owe you a debt that can never be repaid, in coming into my life you helped me find myself.

You are worried about tomorrow. I saw the fear and doubt in your eyes today, a storm of emotion that is ever brewing but is never allowed to be expressed. You can sense that something is not as it should be that there is something wrong with me.

I thank the Valar, that you do not know that come the morrow I must leave you behind. That I must leave my raiment of flesh and depart to Mando's halls.

You will grieve for me when I am gone. I know the depth of despair and pain you will go through.

You should know, however, that I can never truly leave your side as long as you keep my love and memory in your heart melethron. As long as you trust in us, I will always be there to guide you through your darkest times.

I sigh softly and crawl under the covers to lie next to your body, still lost within the folds of sleep. You cuddle up next to me and I am in heaven. I smile and brush a strand of dark hair out of your eyes and settle down to guard and watch you throughout the remainder of the night. There is yet a few hours til dawn, a few hours more with you by my side. My name graces your lips in sleep and I am undone a crystal tear rolls down my face. I am glad for the few hours that we have left together Elrond, my love.

Dawn comes.

All souls must fade...into the west.

Like the sun,
I am shining down,
Through the vale,
Through the clouds.
When - you can't see me,
You -- must believe me.
End Notes:
"The Last Day of Our Acquaintance" is performed by Sinead O Connor.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=3695